+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How will my PR process be affected if I stop working?

santiago123

Jan 3, 2019
I applied for my PR on EE CEC, my AOR is Jan 4. I have a valid work permit until 2020. I want to know what happens if I quit my job. I am still working here, and I did claim I had this job when I made my application. I know what makes sense is to wait in this job until I get my PR but I really don't want to.

If I quit my job how will it affect my PR process? Can I legally stay in the country?

I read in an old post that because IIwas employed at the time I applied then it's okay to stop working while in process, but I don't know if that's true or still valid. I also read that I can stay until my work permit expires, but I don't know if that's true. I would not work or study while I wait, I just want to be able to stay in Canada while the process completes.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I applied for my PR on EE CEC, my AOR is Jan 4. I have a valid work permit until 2020. I want to know what happens if I quit my job. I am still working here, and I did claim I had this job when I made my application. I know what makes sense is to wait in this job until I get my PR but I really don't want to.

If I quit my job how will it affect my PR process? Can I legally stay in the country?

I read in an old post that because IIwas employed at the time I applied then it's okay to stop working while in process, but I don't know if that's true or still valid. I also read that I can stay until my work permit expires, but I don't know if that's true. I would not work or study while I wait, I just want to be able to stay in Canada while the process completes.
As far as I am aware, once you qualify for CEC, there is no requirement to stay employed.
Did you gain any CRS points based on continued employment? (I doubt it).
You can remain as a visitor.

santiago123

Jan 3, 2019
As far as I am aware, once you qualify for CEC, there is no requirement to stay employed.
Did you gain any CRS points based on continued employment? (I doubt it).
You can remain as a visitor.
I got 50 points for arranged employment. Is that what you mean? Even if they took away those points I still have over 500. Does that make a difference?

c.cruz91

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB

If you claimed points for a job offer, you WILL have to remain in the job until you get your PR. If you quit, you'll have to notify IRCC, you'll lose those points, and if your application drops below the cut off of your draw when you got your ITA, then it might be refused.
If you did not claim points for a job offer, then you're fine and you are free to quit. You will have to notify IRCC anyway, but it should not affect your eligibility.
If you have an Open Work Permit and a valid TR visa, you can remain in Canada even if you're not working. If it's not an open work permit, your employer will notify IRCC that you left the job, and they might ask you to leave the country.

Good luck with everything!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I got 50 points for arranged employment. Is that what you mean? Even if they took away those points I still have over 500. Does that make a difference?
As long as your CRS core remains above the cutoff for your draw, you can safely leave your job. You are permitted to remain in Canada as long as you have a valid work permit, but of course, you cannot work for any other employer without first obtaining a new work permit.

santiago123

Jan 3, 2019
As long as your CRS core remains above the cutoff for your draw, you can safely leave your job. You are permitted to remain in Canada as long as you have a valid work permit, but of course, you cannot work for any other employer without first obtaining a new work permit.
Thank you so much for your reply! That is exactly what I was hoping to read. Is there a document or a section on the CIC website where I can 100% confirm this?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
You can just call IRCC and speak to an agent directly, that way you'll be 100% sure
IRCC Call Centre agents are not visa officers, and often get information wrong. They can be helpful, but you cannot always trust them as an information source.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thank you so much for your reply! That is exactly what I was hoping to read. Is there a document or a section on the CIC website where I can 100% confirm this?
Alas, no, there is no written document that addresses your specific situation : ) See the two below, in combination -
-----------------------------
Ministerial Instructions

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/ministerial-instructions/express-entry-application-management-system.html

"Loss of offer or inability to perform duties
(3) If the offer referred to in subsection (1) is revoked or ceases to be a qualifying offer of arranged employment or if the foreign national is unable to perform the duties of the employment or is unlikely to agree to perform them, the foreign national is no longer entitled to the points assigned under subsection (1) in respect of that offer and the total number of points assigned to the foreign national under the Comprehensive Ranking System is to be adjusted accordingly."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html

See the section, Change in Circumstance declared after an e-APR has been submitted

Reactions: DelPiero07