+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How we organized our Common-Law PR application

Nov 14, 2013
In preparing our common law PR application (I'm the sponsor, partner is the applicant) we used this site a lot especially to try and figure out how to organize our application. I am Canadian and sponsored my partner who is Australian. Everyone has their own way of organizing their applications - here is what we did in case it is helpful for anyone...

Timeline - outland application via Sydney, Australia VO

Application received by CIC in Miss. 24 January 2014
Sponsorship application approved 24 February 2014 (although it took 2 months to receive the letter…)
PR application started processing at VO 26 April 2014
Decision made 28 April 2014
COPR letter received in mail 12 May 2014
Landed 18 May 2014

Envelope 1 - Sponsorship Application Contents
1. Barcode Page
2. Document Checklist - Sponsor
3. IMM 1344
4. IMM 5481
5. Copy 2 of receipt of payment
6. IMM 5540 + additional pages
7. Photocopy of passport
8. Photocopy of birth certificate
11. Option C print out
12. Original letter from current employer

Envelope 2 - Immigration forms
1. Barcode Page
2. Document Checklist - Applicant
3. IMM 0008
4. IMM 5669
5. IMM 5406
6. IMM 5490 + additional pages
7. Photocopy of birth certificate
8. Photocopy of passport
9. Original police certificate
10. Proof of medical exam (recommend doing before you submit so that they don't have to request it…)
11. Immigration photos

Envelope 3 - Supporting Evidence: Proof of Genuine Relationship - Throughout both the sponsorship and applicant applications we simply referenced them to specific appendices to avoid redundancy - that way everything stayed together in one area. The list below is pretty standard - I would think all applications need this as a minimum. We included probably at least 5 other appendices not listed below that were specific to our situation (i.e. proof of joint health insurances, listed as beneficiaries etc.) but they might not be applicable to all.

- Statutory Declaration of Common-Law partnership signed by notary public (not necessary in all situations, but it's can't hurt…)
- Personal letters (from each the applicant and sponsor)
- Letters of support from parents etc.
- Notarized statutory declarations from a few close friends etc.
- Proof of cohabitation (e.g copies residential lease, of tenant insurance, a selection of mail addressed to both etc.)
- Proof of shared finances
- Proof of travel together
- Photos of relationship (used Microsoft Word to insert 2 photos per page with a caption on who is in the photo, where it was taken, and when)
- Evidence showing how we stayed in touch when we were doing long distance
- Correspondence between applicant and sponsor's family and vica versa

Ideally, when you have everything together in one place you should look at your application objectively and ask 'if I didn't know these people, and I had to judge whether this relationship was real based on what is in front of me, would I be convinced that these two are in a real, loving, ongoing relationships?'. The easier you make it for the officers, the easier a decision should be for them.

Good luck!

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
This is really helpful thanks a lot for posting it!

I was wondering how you did the sending of the application? did you send the 3 envelopes first to the canadian office? at what point did you had to send the application to australia or how did that worked?

Also i wanted to ask you about the payment? did you did the 3 payments at once? the sponshorhip fee 75dls, the applicant fee475dls and the right of residency 490?

i will really appreciate your help, thanks!!!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You put the 3 individual envelopes into a larger envelope, or parcel. Everything must be sent in to CPC-M (Case Processing Center/Centre in Mississauga). From there, they will route the applicant's portion to the correct visa office for processing of `Stage 2'.

It's better to pay everything up-front, if possible, but you can defer the RPRF if needed. It may, or may not, add a slight delay to the overall processing time. You pay the fees online, or at a bank, and then include the receipt with your paperwork. Paying Online is instant, whereas paying at a bank takes a few days (or more).

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadagirl2013 said:

Sponsorship application approved 24 February 2014 (although it took 2 months to receive the letter...)
Landed 18 May 2014
That's amazing! You completed the entire process in < 4 months. I knew the Sydney office was fast, but that's warp speed.

Congratulations.

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
thank you so much for the reply!! that makes more sense, it gets so confusing when you have read so much about it.

now that someone mentions it one last question, what was the processing time it said on the page, im guessing the 4 month was even faster that what they said?
i have a 8 month waiting time for the paris office and im wondering in your situation if it was faster or slower than time expected.
thanks again!

Nov 14, 2013
Yes, we put all three 'section's into separate envelopes and then sent all three together bundled to Mississauga. We paid the entire fee in advance online - you are slowing down the processing time if you choose to pay later / do medical exam when requested etc. Make it easy for the officer by sending everything at once.

Our sponsorship application took 1 month (which matched what was being posted online by CIC). CIC reports that processing time at Sydney is 11 months… so we were quite surprised when it arrived 9 months early. I'd like to say that our organization skills helped speed up that process haha but likely just luck of the draw.

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Awesome!! Is really good to get advice from people that made everything so perfect and got the residency! Thanks for the opportunity to know what you did guys. im organizing mine now to send it in 15 days, im trying to follow what you did, hopefully if i have more questions i can still bother you guys, thanks again, you have no idea how much this helps!!!

amcpons

Jun 2, 2014
Thank you so much for this information!!

I was hoping you could help me with some doubts i had.
In my case im putting my application together, i have been with my boyfriend for 11 months living together but we never really made it official, just kept extending my vacations, now we decided we do have a year so we can apply for common law.

Since we never planned this i dont have the lease or bank or other official papers, just can get the letters from friends, etc.

I was wondering, your jointed lease, or your jointed bank accounts, did you signed them a year before you sent the application? or where they more recent?

did any of the papers you sent were more recent than a year?

do you have any advice for me? im wondering if you actually planned and put all information together for 12 months, since now im looking and i dont really have receipts or some other proofs until more recently.

Also would like to ask you, did you sent proof of your relationship before you moved in together? like we started dating a year and a half ago, he visited me, i visited him, etc...this is proof of our relationship history, was just wondering how much information did you sent about the time before the year of living together?

Hope this makes sense and thank you so much for helping us! Common law is hard, im happy to hear others are successful!

amcpons

Jun 2, 2014
Sorry, guys last question, how big was your application? aprox?

i found a post, very organized for spouse application which should have less papers, with 446 pages,
canada-immigration-discussion-board/how-i-organized-our-applcation-and-a-summary-of-all-helpful-tips-i-have-learned-t92449.0.html

so just, to consider options, how long was yours?? thanks!!!!!

April Fajardo

Star Member
Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vagreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 5, 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 12, 2014
File Transfer...
Mar 9, 2014
Med's Done....
July 9, 2014
Interview........
Aug 24, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 24, 2015
canadagirl2013 said:
In preparing our common law PR application (I'm the sponsor, partner is the applicant) we used this site a lot especially to try and figure out how to organize our application. I am Canadian and sponsored my partner who is Australian. Everyone has their own way of organizing their applications - here is what we did in case it is helpful for anyone...

Sponsorship application approved 24 February 2014 (although it took 2 months to receive the letter...)
Landed 18 May 2014

Envelope 1 - Sponsorship Application Contents
1. Barcode Page
2. Document Checklist - Sponsor
3. IMM 1344
4. IMM 5481
5. Copy 2 of receipt of payment
6. IMM 5540 + additional pages
7. Photocopy of passport
8. Photocopy of birth certificate
11. Option C print out
12. Original letter from current employer

Envelope 2 - Immigration forms
1. Barcode Page
2. Document Checklist - Applicant
3. IMM 0008
4. IMM 5669
5. IMM 5406
6. IMM 5490 + additional pages
7. Photocopy of birth certificate
8. Photocopy of passport
9. Original police certificate
10. Proof of medical exam (recommend doing before you submit so that they don't have to request it...)
11. Immigration photos

Envelope 3 - Supporting Evidence: Proof of Genuine Relationship - Throughout both the sponsorship and applicant applications we simply referenced them to specific appendices to avoid redundancy - that way everything stayed together in one area. The list below is pretty standard - I would think all applications need this as a minimum. We included probably at least 5 other appendices not listed below that were specific to our situation (i.e. proof of joint health insurances, listed as beneficiaries etc.) but they might not be applicable to all.

- Statutory Declaration of Common-Law partnership signed by notary public (not necessary in all situations, but it's can't hurt...)
- Personal letters (from each the applicant and sponsor)
- Letters of support from parents etc.
- Notarized statutory declarations from a few close friends etc.
- Proof of cohabitation (e.g copies residential lease, of tenant insurance, a selection of mail addressed to both etc.)
- Proof of shared finances
- Proof of travel together
- Photos of relationship (used Microsoft Word to insert 2 photos per page with a caption on who is in the photo, where it was taken, and when)
- Evidence showing how we stayed in touch when we were doing long distance
- Correspondence between applicant and sponsor's family and vica versa

Ideally, when you have everything together in one place you should look at your application objectively and ask 'if I didn't know these people, and I had to judge whether this relationship was real based on what is in front of me, would I be convinced that these two are in a real, loving, ongoing relationships?'. The easier you make it for the officers, the easier a decision should be for them.

Good luck!

Wow that was fast. 4 months and landed! Congrats!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amcpons said:

In my case im putting my application together, i have been with my boyfriend for 11 months living together but we never really made it official, just kept extending my vacations, now we decided we do have a year so we can apply for common law.

Since we never planned this i dont have the lease or bank or other official papers, just can get the letters from friends, etc.

I was wondering, your jointed lease, or your jointed bank accounts, did you signed them a year before you sent the application? or where they more recent?

do you have any advice for me? im wondering if you actually planned and put all information together for 12 months, since now im looking and i dont really have receipts or some other proofs until more recently.

Also would like to ask you, did you sent proof of your relationship before you moved in together? like we started dating a year and a half ago, he visited me, i visited him, etc...this is proof of our relationship history, was just wondering how much information did you sent about the time before the year of living together?

Hope this makes sense and thank you so much for helping us! Common law is hard, im happy to hear others are successful!
You stated that you've been living together for 11 months, but...you know you need at least 1 full year (not 11 months) before you can mail the application in, right?

Yes, include the proof from the day you started dating, NOT just proof from when you started living together.

Having a signed letter from his landlord, verifying that you have in fact been living there for the last year, would be a big plus!

amhel26

Star Member
Feb 10, 2014
Hi, yes i will not send any papers until next month, exactly 12 month living together thanks.

i was just asking since our joint bank accounts started around 6 months ago.
Our landlord letter will say that i have been living there 12 months however other papers like the bank i mentioned,or even the life insurance, we bought that one only 3 months ago.

Did all your paperwork was 12 month old?

Thanks for your answers and this post, you have been so helpful.

Nov 14, 2013
amcpons said:

We have been together almost 5 years and living together 3 years so much of our proof was at least 2-3 years old. Are you under any pressure visa wise to apply asap? I wonder if you would have a stronger application if you wait another 3- 6months?

during the first two years of our relationship we weren't living together and at one point were long distance so yes we included lots of supporting evidence to show that those two years were geniune (trips we did together, proof of how we stayed in touch when long distance etc.)

Our application was about 4 lbs (I think...) - the supporting evidence was the largest (our skype history was 100 pages alone..) and only fit into a really big envelope!

Ignoring the dates when you opened joint bank accounts, got life insurance, etc. I think as long as you can look at the paperwork and comfortably say that yes you think this adequately shows a genuiune relationship you should be okay. Personal letters from you and him, and from your parents may help! good luck!

jessyjoh

Mar 19, 2016
Hi canadagirl! This is super helpful (particularly as I am an Australian being sponsored by my Canadian partner) - thank you.

I have a question: what did you each include in your personal letters (as applicant and sponsor) and approx how long were they?

Many thanks, and congratulations!