10-12-2010
AOR Received.
06-01-2011
File Transfer...
20-12-2010
Med's Done....
28-06-2010
Hello Everyone,

I have a sri lankan passport and canadian PR card. I'm planning on going to sri lanka for 3 weeks to visit my husband. my layover in heathrow is 12 hours and i thought i could get out of the air port for a few hours and explore London since its only 15 miles from heathrow.

I don't know what kinda visa I need to get and there's so much info online that I'm just totally lost at this point!! some places it says that i don't need transit visa. others say that i do... i'm just totally lost and your help in the matter will be greatly appreciated!

cheers,
MB

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Ask the nearest British High Commission, they will most likely be able to give you an accurate answer. Also, since you are on layover, it seems a transit visa would be the most appropriate one to get. It's best to err on the side of caution and get one, you don't want to show up and be asked for one and not have it. If they don't ask for it, you've lost nothing.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
melbell_28 said:
Hello Everyone,

I have a sri lankan passport and canadian PR card. I'm planning on going to sri lanka for 3 weeks to visit my husband. my layover in heathrow is 12 hours and i thought i could get out of the air port for a few hours and explore London since its only 15 miles from heathrow.

I don't know what kinda visa I need to get and there's so much info online that I'm just totally lost at this point!! some places it says that i don't need transit visa. others say that i do... i'm just totally lost and your help in the matter will be greatly appreciated!

cheers,
MB
Use this site

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/

brin

Nov 24, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 17-2011
Doc's Request.
Apr 10-2011
AOR Received.
Mar 24-2011
File Transfer...
Mar 21-2011
Interview........
June-28-2011
Passport Req..
Apr-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
July-05-2011
LANDED..........
ETA: Aug-05-2011
UK transit visa change from time to time...not sure what the current situ is..once I travlled and I didn't need one and the next time I had to get one when I was travelling through U.K ..but if u want to get about the city u need a visitor's visa as u cannot go out of the Airport without it...I remember sending my Passport to Ottawa to get the transit visa..either way...u need to check with the British High commission>

melbell_28

Oct 2, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4-11-2010
Doc's Request.
10-12-2010
AOR Received.
06-01-2011
File Transfer...
20-12-2010
Med's Done....
28-06-2010
Thank you for all the replies everyone! I was so worried about where and what and how to go about this and I followed everyone's advice and finally figured it out!

I do need visa!!!! and yes the rules change frequently... I'm not travelling until the beginning of June, so i'm going to apply for it in May..

I'm curios tho.. I want to stay at Yotel at heathrow since my layover is 14 hours and even that requires transit visa according to their website... how does this make any sense... no pun intended to all you fabulous brits out there, but OMG they friggin put u thru the hoops just to get the transit visa online!!!!

Lol... Oh well.. Better safe than not I guess from their point of view :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
melbell_28 said:
I'm curios tho.. I want to stay at Yotel at heathrow since my layover is 14 hours and even that requires transit visa according to their website... how does this make any sense...
Even if you were allowed to transit without a visa by staying inside of the airport, you should note that the hotel is not inside the transit area of the airport.
You would have to enter the UK to go there.

brin

Nov 24, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 17-2011
Doc's Request.
Apr 10-2011
AOR Received.
Mar 24-2011
File Transfer...
Mar 21-2011
Interview........
June-28-2011
Passport Req..
Apr-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
July-05-2011
LANDED..........
ETA: Aug-05-2011
melbell_28 said:
I'm curios tho.. I want to stay at Yotel at heathrow since my layover is 14 hours and even that requires transit visa according to their website... how does this make any sense... no pun intended to all you fabulous brits out there, but OMG they friggin put u thru the hoops just to get the transit visa online!!!!
The transit visa is basically to put ur foot on the floor at the U.K airport and hop in to the next flight...so..u cannot go outside the airport..pretty much like u need a visa to stay in the UK during ur lay over!

javcil

Star Member
Mar 18, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/01/2010
AOR Received.
01/03/2010
File Transfer...
04/02/2010
Med's Done....
11/12/2009
Interview........
21/04/2010
Passport Req..
21/04/2010
VISA ISSUED...
22/04/2010
LANDED..........
16/07/2010
This situation pertain to my husband as well ...
I found this on the UK website. Doesn't this exclude the need for a transit visa? I'm not sure because the wording is a little vague ...

Am I exempt from the DATV requirement?
You will be exempt from the DATV requirement and may be able to transit without visa if you hold one of the following.
A valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel through the UK as part of a journey from another country or territory to the country for which you have the entry visa.
A valid visa for entry to Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America and a valid airline ticket for travel through the UK as part of a journey from the country for which you have the visa to another country or territory.
A valid airline ticket for travel through the UK as part of a journey from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America to another country or territory, as long as you do not transit (pass through) the UK on a date more than six months after the date on which you last entered Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America with a valid visa for that country.
A valid USA I-551 permanent resident card issued on or after 21 April 1998.
A valid Canadian permanent resident card issued on or after 28 June 2002.
A valid common format category D visa for entry to an EEA state – see our 'EEA and Swiss nationals' leaflet for a list of EEA states.
A valid common format residence permit issued by an EEA state under Council Regulation (EC) number 1030/2002.
A diplomatic or service passport issued by the People’s Republic of China.
A diplomatic or official passport issued by India.
A diplomatic or official passport issued by Vietnam.