+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Succeed in the Canadian Job Market ? [for a New Immigrant]

bnimsin

Apr 20, 2010
clubcanada said:
I agree that you should have a structured approach. But I do not agree with Qorax's posting and his one-fits-all strategy. I recommedn everyone coming to Canada to do their homework first. Immigration is a long-term strategy and if you want to be successful, your stages start before even sending in your application for FSW.

For business and IT folks the optimal preparation includes to work with MNC's that employers in Canada know. This also provides you a first starting point for networking. Your approach should also include to get certificates that are common standard in Canada (for IT folks this might be ITIL, PMP or even SAP skills) before you even get on the plane. Last but not least the main aspect is to understand how the Canadian market works. That you're here in this forum is a good start. For example networking. Most of us should be aware by now that most jobs are being filled through referrals, which means through networking. So what's your approach? You should start doing networking before coming to Canada. Websites such as this forum, meetup.com, facebook.com, linkedin.com or internations.org are a starting point. So get in contact with your people. But you should also consider industry forums or exhibitions from your job history - so whenever you get the chance do networking with Canadians. You might also find people from your city that are planning to immigrate to Canada. So find them and get together. I participated in a meetup back in my home country and got my first apartment through a contact I met at this meetup - no bank account and no tenant's history or reference required to get the apartment as my contact referred me to the landlord... this is how it works here - welcome to Canada...

What you also should consider is an exit strategy; in other words be prepared to leave Canada if you figure out that it does not suit your expectations at all. Furthermore, bring enough money that you do not need the survival job. Be smart and use the first couple of months to get used to your new environment. btw - You've been accepted through NOC 0213 and planning to flip burger at MacDonalds right after landing? You gotta be kidding... If you were manager in your country and find yourself working at minimum wage at TH, you made a mistake.... If you do your homework you do not have to take a survival job.
Dear Qorax,
I have got my PR(fsw1) visa in NOC 1111.Acount.(PG commerce)
i also have diploma certificate of electrical engineering from my home country .(10+3) which i have not mentioned in my application because it was not necessary for NOC1111.

now i came to know that to get employment in NOC1111 is tougher than the electrical engineering(Industrial electrician, or elec. engineer/// i am also interested to work in electrical. field because i can start my own business in this field in future)

if i want to change my profession and want to get license (P.Eng in Ontario)
will it be problematic(to both licensing body and CIC ) for me to apply for a P.engineer as i have got my visa on NOC1111 accountant?will licensing body or CIC object?

because i can fetch the job easily as a P.Eng. than an accountant.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Replied@the 'landing" thread...

bnimsin said:
Dear Qorax,
i also have diploma certificate of electrical engineering from my home country .(10+3) which i have not mentioned in my application because it was not necessary for NOC1111.

now i came to know that to get employment in NOC1111 is tougher than the electrical engineering(Industrial electrician, or elec. engineer/// i am also interested to work in electrical. field because i can start my own business in this field in future)

will it be problematic(to both licensing body and CIC ) for me to apply for a P.engineer as i have got my visa on NOC1111 accountant?will licensing body or CIC object?

There wouldn't be any problem.
After 'landing' u r free to pursue any line of work, as well as course of study.

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
SISH7255 said:
Captain Qorax,

I highly appreciate your posts, they are very informative.

No doubt, you have very precisely described everything needs to be done after landing in Canada to be successful in future-btw, this was your perspective before landing

I have a question- since you have already been landed and living in Canada for a while now, did your perspective change or still the same? Still we have to follow what you have written above? Or you need to add or delete something based on your real and practical experience in Canada?

Your answer is highly appreciated

Thanking you in advance
Brother,

It holds good as of date too. Besides, I had written the post after being into Canada (prior to 'landing' though). It still is my valid view that imdt upon 'landing' we should take-up any occupation that comes our way. Our previous experience/s doesn't matter... the wisest act we could do is to start 'earning something' rather than 'nothing'. This acts two ways -- it brings food to the table - and it gets us the [all important] 'Canadian Experience'.

Having the Canadian experience in our 'own field' is a misnomer. Any & every experience counts here, whether 'paid' or even 'unpaid' (volunteer positions). I've seen a few guys 'waiting' endlessly for the 'right job' - and that took them months (one of my known is yet to take-up any; and currently is depressed to the core; besides gone 'fundrupt' - if there could be a term like that!) - and I blame it to themselves, squarely.

As I still opine -- 2 yrs. of hardship@max - and we have 'arrived'!!!

Qorax

isha80

Dec 4, 2009
Hi Qorax,
After landing in canada in oct-2010, i returned back to india after 3 weeks. Applying jobs from india. I got 4-5 calls for job and one of them was Workplace safety and insurance board. i have to go back to canada in march. Should i write them that i am coming in march and after that u can take my test. What do u suggest

Isha

pentouch

Dec 21, 2010
This is well laid qorax, putting everything into perspective, it is rather unfair that Canadian employers do not employ new immigrant unless they have Canadian Exp. How are we suppose to gain the Exp if they refuse to employ. It is sad that someone with over 10yrs exp. Will have to start all over again.
However, risk must be taken, when you think about the future.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
isha80 said:
Hi Qorax,
After landing in canada in oct-2010, i returned back to india after 3 weeks. Applying jobs from india. I got 4-5 calls for job and one of them was Workplace safety and insurance board. i have to go back to canada in march. Should i write them that i am coming in march and after that u can take my test. What do u suggest

Isha
Would the employer be ready to wait?
Think about it...

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
pentouch said:
This is well laid qorax, putting everything into perspective, it is rather unfair that Canadian employers do not employ new immigrant unless they have Canadian Exp. How are we suppose to gain the Exp if they refuse to employ. It is sad that someone with over 10yrs exp. Will have to start all over again.
However, risk must be taken, when you think about the future.
1. It's a wrong notion that the Canadian employers do not recruit newcomers. I haven't come accross anyone [known to me] who 'landed'@yet is unemployed, unless s/he wants it that way!

2. Think about it this way -- would u employ a Canadian in your home country, who walks in stating he is 'this & that' and has the whistles to make your co. 'tick'? Or would u employ the 'boy next door' instead? If it was a starter job - probably u'd yet consider him/her -- but for a middle level [or top position] would u?

We have to join an org here, in any level. Over the time, we need to prove or worth - show our merits - & when the time is right - we do move up [the ladder]. There r scores & scores of examples here.

Qorax

Deeaar

Oct 27, 2010
ABU DHABI , UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
Case Processing Pilot - Ottawa
NOC Code......
(1241-B) Oct 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUG 2007
Doc's Request.
AUG 2007
AOR Received.
OCT 2007
IELTS Request
FEB 2008 ( Total Band 8 )
File Transfer...
MARCH 2010
Med's Request
15/10/2010
Med's Done....
26/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
04/03/2011. Sent on 08/03/2011
VISA ISSUED...
30/03/2011
LANDED..........
25 July 2011
qorax said:
Hi friends,

I had been contemplating to write this for quite sometime. There are many of us who are over-enthusiastically positive & similarly many, who think poorly of the Canadian job market. And there are quite a few of us who are thinking to go or not to, given the enormous waiting time on this immigration process, by which time we already get well settled in our homeland. But, are we?

I have replied this to many who PMed me directly and in another thread here as well. Now plz bear with me for posting it seperately, for the betterment of all friends. I hope I'll not be bashed upon for this long write-up.

Buddies, in regard to our job scenario (FSW w/out AEO) in Canada, if we plan as per below, we'll sail thru satisfactorily. It's not whether we think good or bad abt it, it's more abt our understanding of the Job Process for a New Immigrant & how we address it, take precautions & manage our settlement well, now that we are positively thinking of moving. Our jobs in Canada, post landing, shall come under 3 stages:

Stage-1. 'Survival Jobs':
The moment we land [whatever city we chose], we must catch-on any opportunity that may arrive. At this stage, we must importantly keep our Ego at home. The idea is to safeguard the 'landing funds' and plan our regular expenses on any vocation based earnings. At this stage, it'll be potent to be frugile. Cut costs at all angles & get our daily meals thru whatever job that we can take. This is the most important phase of our newcomer life in Canada. If we can plan it well, we'll avoid the 'josh story', else depression shall set-in. In this phase, I might be a IT proff, an Engr, a Doctor, whatever, or of any age bracket... I'd do well to take a job as a FedEx Helper, DtoD Salesman, MacDonald Teamer, Night Watchman, Office Boy etc.
!-Stage Criteria: Whatever our homeland profession be, take any job to start earning.
!-Remember: Till now No one knows us & No one is bothered abt us.
!-Job Search: No further search, till we get settled in this present vocation.
!-Timeframe: 0-3 months.

Stage-2. 'Tertiary Jobs':
Now we are fairy aware of the city & the Canadian concepts. This is the time to foray into our 2nd job. Start seraching, but remember that it'll not be an actual 'job hunting' yet. In this phase, due to our awarness, we might land into an Ok job, which'll be better than the survival stage. But we are still not into our choice occupation. Again it should be taken as a challenge & pursue a job that will increase our earnings from the previous one. We may not yet be satisfied with what we are doing, but shall start some savings hereon. That'll get reflected in our bank a/cs. We are actually now building our credit history, an important thing that'll hold us in good stead later. Some of the Tertiary Jobs can be Office Assistant, Hypermarket Cashier/Teller, Warehouse Assistant, Industrial Labour Controller, Store Keeper, Security Officer/Supervisor, Courier Deliveryman etc. All of these being higher paid than minimum wages.
!-Stage Criteria: Try & get a better paid job than the previous. Any field. Complete all PR documentation.
!-Remember: We are still in our nascent stage. No one yet cares abt us.
!-Job Search: Yes, keep looking. Classifieds, Online, HR Agents, Networking, Prospective Employer visits etc.
!-Timeframe: 3-6 months.

Stage-3. 'Intermediate Jobs':
By now we have smartenned up. We are no more a novice. We have developed our links. Bank position is OK. Probably, the 'landing funds' is still not fiully depleted. Our networking & friend circle has started paying. Thus, hereon we shall, most likely, get our 'first satisfactory job'. Something in our related field. No, not yet what we actually have been doing in our homeland, but in the same department. The idea is to land a job within our specialty field. Eg. if I'm a IT professional, I'll get a job in the IT dept. of a company, as a first-level operator or a team leader (if I'm lucky). If I'm an Engr. I'll be landing the job of a technician in the engineering dept of a company. If I'm an Accountant, I'll catch hold of a Asst. Bookkeeper's task, or a financial data entry operator, or a departmental assistant. The combinations can be many. The requirement is, now start building your career. Opportunities shall commence.
!-Stage Criteria: Land a job in your related field. The designation be anything, be much lower -but must be taken.
!-Remember: Ppl will start knowing us in our field & thus professional growth is imminent.
!-Job Search: Full-fledged 'job hunting'. This hunting now is in our choice occupation.
!-Timeframe: 6-12 months.

Friends, hereafter we will most likely, be in our selected field of work. And we'll be aware of the job market within our profession. Hereon, we'll know what to look for & where to look for. Thus, can apply for jobs smartly & keep growing satisfactorily. It is expected that after a yr at Canada, we should be able to establish ourselves nicely. Be professionally motivated and quite possibly grow well into our Canadian settlement process.

Job hunting, obviously will continue until we are self-satisfied. But man... we have arrived... & arrived well ! In a couple of yrs we'll be sailing in our Original Position, that we left in our homeland. And remember, we'd be still earning better than before, even if the routine costs are higher in Canada. Our margins will be much higher too. Unless we really goof-up, in 2-3 yrs time we'll be calling the shots.

A thing to remember is that, since our 2nd stage, we should start developing our skills, by way of gaining qualifications/certifications to enhance our selected profession. As most occupations like IT, Accounts, Engineering etc. will not get us a job of that field, unless we have a Canadian Recognized Certificate. The only exception is of Doctors, who might face tremendous difficulty due to the 4 yrs. requirement of Canadian Medical studies.

The above 3 phases is also important to gain a Canadian Experience. Something we cannot do without if we want to succeed in our professions. The previous jobs can be anything, but when we try to apply for a job in our field the employers will always ask/look for a Canadian Experience. They wouldn't bother what we did, but will want an "employer's reference". This is to see our employability & people management skills. And we can't blame them as well, 'coz they need to doubly ensure that who they are employing is of 'good standing', as they have no clue of our occupations/designations in our homeland. It reminds me to advice, to do good in those previous Canadian jobs. 'Coz, we'll need those employer's references, whether in writing (best to take) or telephonically by the next employer.

Plz note that in some cases the 1st & 2nd stages may be interlinked. Some may get promoted within the 1st stage itself & thus avoid/require a seperate 2nd stage. While there are also many situations/actual cases where some PRs have settled-down well in their Tertiary Occupations itself. There is this case of an Electrical Engineer, who carried-on with his Warehouse Supervisor's job and settled down as businessman of 'Custom Bonded Warehouses' forever. There are scores of other examples.

I hope the foregoing shall lead to a proper understanding of our job-worth, vis-a-vis our aspirations in Canada. And help us to get hold of ourselves in a timeframe wise & market scenario wise assimilation of what, when and how to settle ourselves in this new found homeland. [I have deliberately avoided the Credit History & House Building scenarios, 'coz this post is directed to job market only].

Thanks & all the best to everyone !

(Member: Canadian Society of Industrial Security)
Another excellent thread. Thanx Captain for this useful info and appreciate the way u r holding our hands and guiding us through this time and always.

God bless.

SISH7255

Nov 19, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2011
qorax said:
Brother,

It holds good as of date too. Besides, I had written the post after being into Canada (prior to 'landing' though). It still is my valid view that imdt upon 'landing' we should take-up any occupation that comes our way. Our previous experience/s doesn't matter... the wisest act we could do is to start 'earning something' rather than 'nothing'. This acts two ways -- it brings food to the table - and it gets us the [all important] 'Canadian Experience'. You are absolutely, 100% right brother

Having the Canadian experience in our 'own field' is a misnomer. Any & every experience counts here, whether 'paid' or even 'unpaid' (volunteer positions). I've seen a few guys 'waiting' endlessly for the 'right job' - and that took them months (one of my known is yet to take-up any; and currently is depressed to the core; besides gone 'fundrupt' - if there could be a term like that!) - and I blame it to themselves, squarely. Yes, sure

As I still opine -- 2 yrs. of hardship @ max - and we have 'arrived'!!!

Qorax
Before I had planned to wait for the job in my field and atleast some junior position, but now after reading your post I have changed my mind.You have opened our eyes brother and I am relieved of big stress after reading your post. Yes it is wise to grab any job coming on your way as soon as you land instead of waiting endlessly for right offer.. which may not come for years.

So far I have worked in four different countries on higher positions such as technical manager, but I do not have any problem to accept any survival job instead of starving and going crazy while waiting for the right offer, which may be years away.

I have following qualifications plus many years of experience

Bach. of Electrical Engineering -India
MBA- U.S.A.
PMP- US based,Globally recognised
LEED AP(BD&C..cont)-US based,Globally recognised
Around 10 certificate courses in computer, project management etc.

What about electrical engineering jobs in Toronto area currently? My experience is in design of electrical services for buildings.

Highly appreciated your post brother! I am proud that we will be having a person like you in Canada.. one more good reason to migrate.

We always pray for you.

May God keep you always happy, peaceful and prosporous.

SISH7255

SISH7255

Nov 19, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2011
bnimsin said:
Dear Qorax,

Yes you can change your profession. It doesn't matter on which NOC you obtained your PR. BTW to get some information on "how to obtain P.Eng. license " you can visit this website-www.peo.on.ca and be a member to access the discussion forum to get very valuable information(Guess you plan to settle in Ontario province).

Since you are a diploma holder, you have to appear for technical exams, complimetary exams(depends on experience and the country you obtained your credentials) and professional practice exam(PPE-common to everyone), but still you can practice without license(with some limitations), unlike the doctors. Additionally, you need a four years of experience, from which one year from Canada. You can rerad additional information from above webisite.

vikeramavath

Jan 24, 2011
From IndiaRe: How to Succeed in the Canadian Job Market ? [for a New Immigrant]

Irshad,

Could you please help me how to get sponsor for canda...

1.I have good qualification of 16 years of education.
2.Working with well reputed company india,Pune.
3.Having around 4 yearsof IT exp in developement.
4.I am single.

I have calculated point based system but i am lacking in sponsorship and could not able to reach pass marks due to sponser.

I wanted to know any agencies would give me while processing my file to canada....plese let me know as sson as possible.

Vikey

irshad2005 said:
Hey Guys,

Its always difficult to find the first job....Even if we are in India (Me in Mumbai) and i have a good pay and a good job here but i want to go to canada coz i love it.
But the thing is that if i leave my job then it would be even difficlut for me to search for another job.
Finding the first job is the most difficult part....Once we have our first job then we can easily get a another one and we also have confidence in looking out for jobs :)
So we should be brave enough to take risks and risks do offer you a good deal.....
But to find a good job we should be a master of what we wanna work and better then every1 to survive.

bnimsin

Apr 20, 2010
SISH7255 said:
Yes you can change your profession. It doesn't matter on which NOC you obtained your PR. BTW to get some information on "how to obtain P.Eng. license " you can visit this website-www.peo.on.ca and be a member to access the discussion forum to get very valuable information(Guess you plan to settle in Ontario province).

Since you are a diploma holder, you have to appear for technical exams, complimetary exams(depends on experience and the country you obtained your credentials) and professional practice exam(PPE-common to everyone), but still you can practice without license(with some limitations), unlike the doctors. Additionally, you need a four years of experience, from which one year from Canada. You can rerad additional information from above webisite.
Thanks SISH7255,

noeljobstreet

Star Member
Mar 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 16, 2010
Doc's Request.
January 2011
IELTS Request
submitted last Oct 16, 2010
Med's Request
May 5, 2011
Med's Done....
June 7, 2011
HI Sish7255,

I work in an electric distribution utility as Vice President for Energy Communications and Public Relations. I think we have similar nature of employer but different profession. My office, which I head, communicates energy programs and activities to our electric consumers. I also would like to work in any electric company or power plant in Toronto if given the opportunity. Please update me of your job hunting in any electric company.

My background includes Bachelor of Science in Mass Communications and Master Degree in Public Administration. I also earned 9 units in Master in Business Administration.

God bless you,

Noel

Before I had planned to wait for the job in my field and atleast some junior position, but now after reading your post I have changed my mind.You have opened our eyes brother and I am relieved of big stress after reading your post. Yes it is wise to grab any job coming on your way as soon as you land instead of waiting endlessly for right offer.. which may not come for years.

So far I have worked in four different countries on higher positions such as technical manager, but I do not have any problem to accept any survival job instead of starving and going crazy while waiting for the right offer, which may be years away.

I have following qualifications plus many years of experience

Bach. of Electrical Engineering -India
MBA- U.S.A.
PMP- US based,Globally recognised
LEED AP(BD&C..cont)-US based,Globally recognised
Around 10 certificate courses in computer, project management etc.

What about electrical engineering jobs in Toronto area currently? My experience is in design of electrical services for buildings.

Highly appreciated your post brother! I am proud that we will be having a person like you in Canada.. one more good reason to migrate.

We always pray for you.

May God keep you always happy, peaceful and prosporous.

SISH7255