Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2010
IELTS Request
21-8-2010
Hi,

Advise please
I am a business professional, and I am in the process of applying under 1122 skilled worker.(SASK)
I am faced with a conflicting situation, as my fiancee has received a scholarship for a masters program in sask.

1. Can I apply for work permit the same time we are going to apply for her study permit.
2. Is the avaerage processing time 2-3 months.
3. Is Saskatchewan really doing as well as they portray.

Regards

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
CPAMATRIX said:
Hi,

Advise please
I am a business professional, and I am in the process of applying under 1122 skilled worker.(SASK)
I am faced with a conflicting situation, as my fiancee has received a scholarship for a masters program in sask.

1. Can I apply for work permit the same time we are going to apply for her study permit.
2. Is the avaerage processing time 2-3 months.
3. Is Saskatchewan really doing as well as they portray.

Regards
1. No, she cannot apply both together.
2. If u r talking about PNP, it'd take around 10-12 months.
3. Nothing wrong there, just that it's a smaller province & thus, opportunities r limited as well.

Qorax

CPAMATRIX

Star Member
Aug 7, 2010
JAMAICA
Category........
Visa Office......
KINGSTON, JAMAICA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2010
IELTS Request
21-8-2010
Thanks Alot

I guess i will have to wait until she gets through with the study permit.
Then apply for my open work permit.
In the interim, will still send off the FSW application

As it relates to the program, I was not referring to PNP program
but rather an open work permit......... which I am hoping to get as a result
of my fiancee receving the student permit. ( its the open work permit--- that i hope will take 2-3months)

This should allow me to arrive in canada, get a job, while the FSW applications is being processed.

She will be starting school Jan 2011.

Again
Keep up the efficient and informative work.

abilex

May 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
4131/ 1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2010
Doc's Request.
08-06-2010
AOR Received.
22-07-2010
IELTS Request
done.
File Transfer...
15-06-2010
Med's Request
14-09-2010 received 09-22-2010
Med's Done....
10-05-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
30-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-06-2011
LANDED..........
Vancouver, BC (2011)
qorax said:
Hi friends,

I had been contemplating to write this for quite sometime. There are many of us who are over-enthusiastically positive & similarly many, who think poorly of the Canadian job market. And there are quite a few of us who are thinking to go or not to, given the enormous waiting time on this immigration process, by which time we already get well settled in our homeland. But, are we?

I have replied this to many who PMed me directly and in another thread here as well. Now plz bear with me for posting it seperately, for the betterment of all friends. I hope I'll not be bashed upon for this long write-up.

Buddies, in regard to our job scenario (FSW w/out AEO) in Canada, if we plan as per below, we'll sail thru satisfactorily. It's not whether we think good or bad abt it, it's more abt our understanding of the Job Process for a New Immigrant & how we address it, take precautions & manage our settlement well, now that we are positively thinking of moving. Our jobs in Canada, post landing, shall come under 3 stages:

Stage-1. 'Survival Jobs':
The moment we land [whatever city we chose], we must catch-on any opportunity that may arrive. At this stage, we must importantly keep our Ego at home. The idea is to safeguard the 'landing funds' and plan our regular expenses on any vocation based earnings. At this stage, it'll be potent to be frugile. Cut costs at all angles & get our daily meals thru whatever job that we can take. This is the most important phase of our newcomer life in Canada. If we can plan it well, we'll avoid the 'josh story', else depression shall set-in. In this phase, I might be a IT proff, an Engr, a Doctor, whatever, or of any age bracket... I'd do well to take a job as a FedEx Helper, DtoD Salesman, MacDonald Teamer, Night Watchman, Office Boy etc.
!-Stage Criteria: Whatever our homeland profession be, take any job to start earning.
!-Remember: Till now No one knows us & No one is bothered abt us.
!-Job Search: No further search, till we get settled in this present vocation.
!-Timeframe: 0-3 months.

Stage-2. 'Tertiary Jobs':
Now we are fairy aware of the city & the Canadian concepts. This is the time to foray into our 2nd job. Start seraching, but remember that it'll not be an actual 'job hunting' yet. In this phase, due to our awarness, we might land into an Ok job, which'll be better than the survival stage. But we are still not into our choice occupation. Again it should be taken as a challenge & pursue a job that will increase our earnings from the previous one. We may not yet be satisfied with what we are doing, but shall start some savings hereon. That'll get reflected in our bank a/cs. We are actually now building our credit history, an important thing that'll hold us in good stead later. Some of the Tertiary Jobs can be Office Assistant, Hypermarket Cashier/Teller, Warehouse Assistant, Industrial Labour Controller, Store Keeper, Security Officer/Supervisor, Courier Deliveryman etc. All of these being higher paid than minimum wages.
!-Stage Criteria: Try & get a better paid job than the previous. Any field. Complete all PR documentation.
!-Remember: We are still in our nascent stage. No one yet cares abt us.
!-Job Search: Yes, keep looking. Classifieds, Online, HR Agents, Networking, Prospective Employer visits etc.
!-Timeframe: 3-6 months.

Stage-3. 'Intermediate Jobs':
By now we have smartenned up. We are no more a novice. We have developed our links. Bank position is OK. Probably, the 'landing funds' is still not fiully depleted. Our networking & friend circle has started paying. Thus, hereon we shall, most likely, get our 'first satisfactory job'. Something in our related field. No, not yet what we actually have been doing in our homeland, but in the same department. The idea is to land a job within our specialty field. Eg. if I'm a IT professional, I'll get a job in the IT dept. of a company, as a first-level operator or a team leader (if I'm lucky). If I'm an Engr. I'll be landing the job of a technician in the engineering dept of a company. If I'm an Accountant, I'll catch hold of a Asst. Bookkeeper's task, or a financial data entry operator, or a departmental assistant. The combinations can be many. The requirement is, now start building your career. Opportunities shall commence.
!-Stage Criteria: Land a job in your related field. The designation be anything, be much lower -but must be taken.
!-Remember: Ppl will start knowing us in our field & thus professional growth is imminent.
!-Job Search: Full-fledged 'job hunting'. This hunting now is in our choice occupation.
!-Timeframe: 6-12 months.

Friends, hereafter we will most likely, be in our selected field of work. And we'll be aware of the job market within our profession. Hereon, we'll know what to look for & where to look for. Thus, can apply for jobs smartly & keep growing satisfactorily. It is expected that after a yr at Canada, we should be able to establish ourselves nicely. Be professionally motivated and quite possibly grow well into our Canadian settlement process.

Job hunting, obviously will continue until we are self-satisfied. But man... we have arrived... & arrived well ! In a couple of yrs we'll be sailing in our Original Position, that we left in our homeland. And remember, we'd be still earning better than before, even if the routine costs are higher in Canada. Our margins will be much higher too. Unless we really goof-up, in 2-3 yrs time we'll be calling the shots.

A thing to remember is that, since our 2nd stage, we should start developing our skills, by way of gaining qualifications/certifications to enhance our selected profession. As most occupations like IT, Accounts, Engineering etc. will not get us a job of that field, unless we have a Canadian Recognized Certificate. The only exception is of Doctors, who might face tremendous difficulty due to the 4 yrs. requirement of Canadian Medical studies.

The above 3 phases is also important to gain a Canadian Experience. Something we cannot do without if we want to succeed in our professions. The previous jobs can be anything, but when we try to apply for a job in our field the employers will always ask/look for a Canadian Experience. They wouldn't bother what we did, but will want an "employer's reference". This is to see our employability & people management skills. And we can't blame them as well, 'coz they need to doubly ensure that who they are employing is of 'good standing', as they have no clue of our occupations/designations in our homeland. It reminds me to advice, to do good in those previous Canadian jobs. 'Coz, we'll need those employer's references, whether in writing (best to take) or telephonically by the next employer.

Plz note that in some cases the 1st & 2nd stages may be interlinked. Some may get promoted within the 1st stage itself & thus avoid/require a seperate 2nd stage. While there are also many situations/actual cases where some PRs have settled-down well in their Tertiary Occupations itself. There is this case of an Electrical Engineer, who carried-on with his Warehouse Supervisor's job and settled down as businessman of 'Custom Bonded Warehouses' forever. There are scores of other examples.

I hope the foregoing shall lead to a proper understanding of our job-worth, vis-a-vis our aspirations in Canada. And help us to get hold of ourselves in a timeframe wise & market scenario wise assimilation of what, when and how to settle ourselves in this new found homeland. [I have deliberately avoided the Credit History & House Building scenarios, 'coz this post is directed to job market only].

Thanks & all the best to everyone !

Capt. Stan Dutta
(Member: Canadian Society of Industrial Security)
You never fail to be a blessing to everybody. Keep it up, qorax!

barundutta76

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2009
Doc's Request.
08-02-2010
AOR Received.
08-02-2010
IELTS Request
17-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-02-2010
Med's Request
13-01-2011
Med's Done....
18-01-2011
Interview........
17-02-2011
Passport Req..
13-01-2011
hi qurox,

i want to know about the job market for a sales professional....and is there any bridging courses in this particular field which can help for better pay?

Please reply.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
barundutta76 said:
hi qurox,

i want to know about the job market for a sales professional....and is there any bridging courses in this particular field which can help for better pay?

Please reply.
Since "sales & marketing" isn't a "regulated occupation" u do not require to be "licensed" to work in this field. However, no one can condone the requirement of further (Canadian) studies in order to be better at the job market here.

For some of the typical jobs in your field u may like to check the "Newcomers Selected Job Postings" thread here.

Qorax

daak

Nov 9, 2010
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi,

I have recently started reading these posts on this forum regularly. Qorax, I really find your posts very helpful. I wonder if you or someone else could elaborate on a doctor settling in Canada. What are the exams they have to take to work in canada? How can a doctor add to his/her qualification/certification further? Are there opportunities to enter in Medical research? I would really appreciate if some doctor who has settled there can cumulate his/her experience on one of these posts that would help others to decide whether to embark upon this testing journey from a relatively settled position or to let go the whole idea of immigration.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
daak said:
hi,

I have recently started reading these posts on this forum regularly. Qorax, I really find your posts very helpful. I wonder if you or someone else could elaborate on a doctor settling in Canada. What are the exams they have to take to work in canada? How can a doctor add to his/her qualification/certification further? Are there opportunities to enter in Medical research? I would really appreciate if some doctor who has settled there can cumulate his/her experience on one of these posts that would help others to decide whether to embark upon this testing journey from a relatively settled position or to let go the whole idea of immigration.
Doctor's Roadmap to settlement...
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t37491.0.html

Many other informations here...
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t40175.0.html

Qorax

barundutta76

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2009
Doc's Request.
08-02-2010
AOR Received.
08-02-2010
IELTS Request
17-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-02-2010
Med's Request
13-01-2011
Med's Done....
18-01-2011
Interview........
17-02-2011
Passport Req..
13-01-2011
Thanx qurax for your reply.

qorax said:
Since "sales & marketing" isn't a "regulated occupation" u do not require to be "licensed" to work in this field. However, no one can condone the requirement of further (Canadian) studies in order to be better at the job market here.

For some of the typical jobs in your field u may like to check the "Newcomers Selected Job Postings" thread here.

Qorax

talalzoni

Star Member
Oct 1, 2010
Karachi, Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
Isl/Lnd
NOC Code......
Family Stream
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2008
Doc's Request.
4-01-2010
Nomination.....
4-01-2010
AOR Received.
17-03-2010
IELTS Request
20-02-2010/Filed
File Transfer...
30-06-2010
Hi, Qorax! no wonder you are a blessing. I need your help. I am basically a Petroleum Geologist but have no experience in my filed. My field of expertise is Intellectual Property Law. I have also done LLB and working with a law firm as Trade Mark Agent. I want to know about job prospect in my field and are there any distant courses I can make from my home country to prepare myself. Thanks in advance. :)

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
talalzoni said:
Hi, Qorax! no wonder you are a blessing. I need your help. I am basically a Petroleum Geologist but have no experience in my filed. My field of expertise is Intellectual Property Law. I have also done LLB and working with a law firm as Trade Mark Agent. I want to know about job prospect in my field and are there any distant courses I can make from my home country to prepare myself. Thanks in advance. :)
1. Alberta, Oil Sands -for your field of Education.
2. Any Metropolis -for your field of Expertise.
3. Law is a "regulated occupation" - requires licensing here.
4. Distance edn won't work - u need to take it here, upon landing.

Qorax

bnimsin

Apr 20, 2010
qorax said:
1. Alberta, Oil Sands -for your field of Education.
2. Any Metropolis -for your field of Expertise.
3. Law is a "regulated occupation" - requires licensing here.
4. Distance edn won't work - u need to take it here, upon landing.

Qorax
Dear Qorax,
I have got my PR(fsw1) visa in NOC 1111.Acount.(PG commerce)
i also have diploma certificate of electrical engineering from my home country .(10+3) which i have not mentioned in my application because it was not necessary for NOC1111.

now i came to know that to get employment in NOC1111 is tougher than the electrical engineering(Industrial electrician, or elec. engineer/// i am also interested to work in electrical. field because i can start my own business in this field in future)

if i want to change my profession and want to get license (P.Eng in Ontario)
will it be problematic(to both licensing body and CIC ) for me to apply for a P.engineer as i have got my visa on NOC1111 accountant?

because i can fetch the job easily as a P.Eng. than an accountant.

In put from all member are invited here.

SISH7255

Nov 19, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2011
qorax said:
Hi friends,

I had been contemplating to write this for quite sometime. There are many of us who are over-enthusiastically positive & similarly many, who think poorly of the Canadian job market. And there are quite a few of us who are thinking to go or not to, given the enormous waiting time on this immigration process, by which time we already get well settled in our homeland. But, are we?

I have replied this to many who PMed me directly and in another thread here as well. Now plz bear with me for posting it seperately, for the betterment of all friends. I hope I'll not be bashed upon for this long write-up.

Buddies, in regard to our job scenario (FSW w/out AEO) in Canada, if we plan as per below, we'll sail thru satisfactorily. It's not whether we think good or bad abt it, it's more abt our understanding of the Job Process for a New Immigrant & how we address it, take precautions & manage our settlement well, now that we are positively thinking of moving. Our jobs in Canada, post landing, shall come under 3 stages:

Stage-1. 'Survival Jobs':
The moment we land [whatever city we chose], we must catch-on any opportunity that may arrive. At this stage, we must importantly keep our Ego at home. The idea is to safeguard the 'landing funds' and plan our regular expenses on any vocation based earnings. At this stage, it'll be potent to be frugile. Cut costs at all angles & get our daily meals thru whatever job that we can take. This is the most important phase of our newcomer life in Canada. If we can plan it well, we'll avoid the 'josh story', else depression shall set-in. In this phase, I might be a IT proff, an Engr, a Doctor, whatever, or of any age bracket... I'd do well to take a job as a FedEx Helper, DtoD Salesman, MacDonald Teamer, Night Watchman, Office Boy etc.
!-Stage Criteria: Whatever our homeland profession be, take any job to start earning.
!-Remember: Till now No one knows us & No one is bothered abt us.
!-Job Search: No further search, till we get settled in this present vocation.
!-Timeframe: 0-3 months.

Stage-2. 'Tertiary Jobs':
Now we are fairy aware of the city & the Canadian concepts. This is the time to foray into our 2nd job. Start seraching, but remember that it'll not be an actual 'job hunting' yet. In this phase, due to our awarness, we might land into an Ok job, which'll be better than the survival stage. But we are still not into our choice occupation. Again it should be taken as a challenge & pursue a job that will increase our earnings from the previous one. We may not yet be satisfied with what we are doing, but shall start some savings hereon. That'll get reflected in our bank a/cs. We are actually now building our credit history, an important thing that'll hold us in good stead later. Some of the Tertiary Jobs can be Office Assistant, Hypermarket Cashier/Teller, Warehouse Assistant, Industrial Labour Controller, Store Keeper, Security Officer/Supervisor, Courier Deliveryman etc. All of these being higher paid than minimum wages.
!-Stage Criteria: Try & get a better paid job than the previous. Any field. Complete all PR documentation.
!-Remember: We are still in our nascent stage. No one yet cares abt us.
!-Job Search: Yes, keep looking. Classifieds, Online, HR Agents, Networking, Prospective Employer visits etc.
!-Timeframe: 3-6 months.

Stage-3. 'Intermediate Jobs':
By now we have smartenned up. We are no more a novice. We have developed our links. Bank position is OK. Probably, the 'landing funds' is still not fiully depleted. Our networking & friend circle has started paying. Thus, hereon we shall, most likely, get our 'first satisfactory job'. Something in our related field. No, not yet what we actually have been doing in our homeland, but in the same department. The idea is to land a job within our specialty field. Eg. if I'm a IT professional, I'll get a job in the IT dept. of a company, as a first-level operator or a team leader (if I'm lucky). If I'm an Engr. I'll be landing the job of a technician in the engineering dept of a company. If I'm an Accountant, I'll catch hold of a Asst. Bookkeeper's task, or a financial data entry operator, or a departmental assistant. The combinations can be many. The requirement is, now start building your career. Opportunities shall commence.
!-Stage Criteria: Land a job in your related field. The designation be anything, be much lower -but must be taken.
!-Remember: Ppl will start knowing us in our field & thus professional growth is imminent.
!-Job Search: Full-fledged 'job hunting'. This hunting now is in our choice occupation.
!-Timeframe: 6-12 months.

Friends, hereafter we will most likely, be in our selected field of work. And we'll be aware of the job market within our profession. Hereon, we'll know what to look for & where to look for. Thus, can apply for jobs smartly & keep growing satisfactorily. It is expected that after a yr at Canada, we should be able to establish ourselves nicely. Be professionally motivated and quite possibly grow well into our Canadian settlement process.

Job hunting, obviously will continue until we are self-satisfied. But man... we have arrived... & arrived well ! In a couple of yrs we'll be sailing in our Original Position, that we left in our homeland. And remember, we'd be still earning better than before, even if the routine costs are higher in Canada. Our margins will be much higher too. Unless we really goof-up, in 2-3 yrs time we'll be calling the shots.

A thing to remember is that, since our 2nd stage, we should start developing our skills, by way of gaining qualifications/certifications to enhance our selected profession. As most occupations like IT, Accounts, Engineering etc. will not get us a job of that field, unless we have a Canadian Recognized Certificate. The only exception is of Doctors, who might face tremendous difficulty due to the 4 yrs. requirement of Canadian Medical studies.

The above 3 phases is also important to gain a Canadian Experience. Something we cannot do without if we want to succeed in our professions. The previous jobs can be anything, but when we try to apply for a job in our field the employers will always ask/look for a Canadian Experience. They wouldn't bother what we did, but will want an "employer's reference". This is to see our employability & people management skills. And we can't blame them as well, 'coz they need to doubly ensure that who they are employing is of 'good standing', as they have no clue of our occupations/designations in our homeland. It reminds me to advice, to do good in those previous Canadian jobs. 'Coz, we'll need those employer's references, whether in writing (best to take) or telephonically by the next employer.

Plz note that in some cases the 1st & 2nd stages may be interlinked. Some may get promoted within the 1st stage itself & thus avoid/require a seperate 2nd stage. While there are also many situations/actual cases where some PRs have settled-down well in their Tertiary Occupations itself. There is this case of an Electrical Engineer, who carried-on with his Warehouse Supervisor's job and settled down as businessman of 'Custom Bonded Warehouses' forever. There are scores of other examples.

I hope the foregoing shall lead to a proper understanding of our job-worth, vis-a-vis our aspirations in Canada. And help us to get hold of ourselves in a timeframe wise & market scenario wise assimilation of what, when and how to settle ourselves in this new found homeland. [I have deliberately avoided the Credit History & House Building scenarios, 'coz this post is directed to job market only].

Thanks & all the best to everyone !

(Member: Canadian Society of Industrial Security)
Captain Qorax,

I highly appreciate your posts, they are very informative.

No doubt, you have very precisely described everything needs to be done after landing in Canada to be successful in future-btw, this was your perspective before landing

I have a question- since you have already been landed and living in Canada for a while now, did your perspective change or still the same? Still we have to follow what you have written above? Or you need to add or delete something based on your real and practical experience in Canada?

Your answer is highly appreciated

Thanking you in advance

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
I agree that you should have a structured approach. But I do not agree with Qorax's posting and his one-fits-all strategy. I recommedn everyone coming to Canada to do their homework first. Immigration is a long-term strategy and if you want to be successful, your stages start before even sending in your application for FSW.

For business and IT folks the optimal preparation includes to work with MNC's that employers in Canada know. This also provides you a first starting point for networking. Your approach should also include to get certificates that are common standard in Canada (for IT folks this might be ITIL, PMP or even SAP skills) before you even get on the plane. Last but not least the main aspect is to understand how the Canadian market works. That you're here in this forum is a good start. For example networking. Most of us should be aware by now that most jobs are being filled through referrals, which means through networking. So what's your approach? You should start doing networking before coming to Canada. Websites such as this forum, meetup.com, facebook.com, linkedin.com or internations.org are a starting point. So get in contact with your people. But you should also consider industry forums or exhibitions from your job history - so whenever you get the chance do networking with Canadians. You might also find people from your city that are planning to immigrate to Canada. So find them and get together. I participated in a meetup back in my home country and got my first apartment through a contact I met at this meetup - no bank account and no tenant's history or reference required to get the apartment as my contact referred me to the landlord... this is how it works here - welcome to Canada...

What you also should consider is an exit strategy; in other words be prepared to leave Canada if you figure out that it does not suit your expectations at all. Furthermore, bring enough money that you do not need the survival job. Be smart and use the first couple of months to get used to your new environment. btw - You've been accepted through NOC 0213 and planning to flip burger at MacDonalds right after landing? You gotta be kidding... If you were manager in your country and find yourself working at minimum wage at TH, you made a mistake.... If you do your homework you do not have to take a survival job.