+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to sponsor our legally adopted child from the Philippines?

ravan0725

Dec 15, 2020
Hello Everyone. I just need some advice on how to sponsor our legally adopted child from the Philippines. My husband just arrived here in Canada this year. Our adopted child was not included in our PR application because his adoption papers was not done yet at that time. Finally, long wait is over he is now our son by law as well.
These are my questions:

1. Where do we go first?
2. What are the legal documents that we need to gather in his part?
3. How long is the processing time considering he is a minor?

Thank you so much in advance for the insights.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Everyone. I just need some advice on how to sponsor our legally adopted child from the Philippines. My husband just arrived here in Canada this year. Our adopted child was not included in our PR application because his adoption papers was not done yet at that time. Finally, long wait is over he is now our son by law as well.
These are my questions:

1. Where do we go first?
2. What are the legal documents that we need to gather in his part?
3. How long is the processing time considering he is a minor?

Thank you so much in advance for the insights.
Congratulations.

How old is the adopted child? Is the adopted child an orphan? Is the adopted child in any way related to your husband?

The answers above may impact the application.

I would anticipate processing times of sometime between 8 months and 1 year. (Hard to guess with COVID.)

Reactions: ravan0725

ravan0725

Dec 15, 2020
Hi! Thank you for the response.Our son is 5 years old. He is not from the orphanage but we went through all the legal process in the Philippines .He is not related to my husband or to me. If I may ask, is there any difference if you sponsor your biological child or adopted child even if the adoption was rightfully done in the Philippines?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi! Thank you for the response.Our son is 5 years old. He is not from the orphanage but we went through all the legal process in the Philippines .He is not related to my husband or to me. If I may ask, is there any difference if you sponsor your biological child or adopted child even if the adoption was rightfully done in the Philippines?
Yes, it's different. You need to follow the process here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5196-sponsorship-adopted-children-other-relatives-sponsor.html

Reactions: ravan0725

ravan0725

Dec 15, 2020
please I have a follow up question. Do I still need to reach out to an adoption authority in Canada before I can start the sponsorship process of my adopted child ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I was also looking for the same information. Is there any solution to this? Kindly please help!
The link is provided above.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
I adopted my wife's biological son in the PH and then we applied for PR for both of them, We had no problem with the process. We gave full disclosure in our application about it. There were a couple of irregularities in the paper work that we provided a letter of explanation for. If you have the new birth certificate naming the two of you as the child's parents I think you should be ok. I also included a copy of the official court documents regarding the adoption.

If you adopted your child in the PH through the PH legal system as opposed to adopting him as being an adoption from abroad you do not have to go through the process of the home assessment and provincial requirements to adopt from abroad like getting a local adoption company to facilitate it.

A possible negative is if they think you adopted the child for the express purpose to bring him to Canada. That would be considered an adoption of convenience.

Were you both in the PH for and during the adoption?

ravan0725

Dec 15, 2020
I adopted my wife's biological son in the PH and then we applied for PR for both of them, We had no problem with the process. We gave full disclosure in our application about it. There were a couple of irregularities in the paper work that we provided a letter of explanation for. If you have the new birth certificate naming the two of you as the child's parents I think you should be ok. I also included a copy of the official court documents regarding the adoption.

If you adopted your child in the PH through the PH legal system as opposed to adopting him as being an adoption from abroad you do not have to go through the process of the home assessment and provincial requirements to adopt from abroad like getting a local adoption company to facilitate it.

A possible negative is if they think you adopted the child for the express purpose to bring him to Canada. That would be considered an adoption of convenience.

Were you both in the PH for and during the adoption?
Thank you so much for responding. I was still in the Philippines from the time he was born until he was 2, now he’s 5 (we started the process when he was 2)My husband just got here a few months ago, but our son’s paper was just finished (both of us are in Canada already when we got the decision from the court. And our child is not related to either of us, he’s not also from an orphanage. Do you think that will fall to adoption for convenience? Please I also need some enlightenment on these aspects:
1. Do we need to submit a narrative report on how we acquire the child together with our sponsorship application?
2. Are we subject for the requirement of hauge convention on adoption? Or do we need to get that cert of no objection from here?
3. What are the papers that we need to get from the Philippines in his part?
4. How long did it take for you to get them.
Thank you so much in advance, I greatly appreciate your help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much for responding. I was still in the Philippines from the time he was born until he was 2, now he’s 5 (we started the process when he was 2)My husband just got here a few months ago, but our son’s paper was just finished (both of us are in Canada already when we got the decision from the court. And our child is not related to either of us, he’s not also from an orphanage. Do you think that will fall to adoption for convenience? Please I also need some enlightenment on these aspects:
1. Do we need to submit a narrative report on how we acquire the child together with our sponsorship application?
2. Are we subject for the requirement of hauge convention on adoption? Or do we need to get that cert of no objection from here?
Did you not have guardianship of this child? Did you not mention your son in any of the paperwork? It seems as he has been in your care since he was very young. It seems extremely strange that both you and then your family left without your child and the adoption being finalized.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Need more info before I try to answer the adoption of convenience aspect. How do you know the child? Is he an orphan and who raised him. You are still a Filipino Citizen I presume but you are a PR and living in Canada? What about your husband's status? During the adoption did they know you weren't living in the PH?

The question in my mind is since you were living in Canada during the adoption whether it should have been an inter-country adoption not an in country adoption and if that would affect the application. When we did our adoption we had no intention at the time for my wife and son to immigrate to Canada, we hadn't even talked or thought about it until about a year after the adoption was complete. Our lawyer had said at the beginning if we were planning to bring our son to Canada the court wouldn't grant the adoption and that it should be done inter-country. So if you were living here and had the intent to bring the child here that is a potential problem with the adoption of convenience aspect.

I am thinking that you should plan to consult an immigration lawyer, not a consultant but a lawyer to get professional advice.

1. It would be beneficial if you provided a letter of explanation with the app detailing how you came to adopt him, better to provide it up front.
2. The Hague convention applies to inter-country adoptions not an adoption that is done entirely in country(PH). It has nothing to do with a PR application that I am aware of. Not sure what the NO OBJECTION letter is you are referring to. In our adoption I had to get a letter of NO INVOLVEMENT from the provincial adoption agency where I last lived in Canada and from the federal government saying it wasn't their jurisdiction, but that had nothing to do with the PR application.
3. You will need the new birth certificate with you and your husband listed as the parents and passport for the PR application, nothing else that I am aware of since he is now your legally adopted child.

A note of caution, not that I think you would but it would be a big mistake for a person to try to pass off an adopted child as their biological child in a PR app. It would not work as the child wasn't listed as a dependent during your PR application. It could also jeopardize your PR status in Canada.

ravan0725

Dec 15, 2020
I was also looking for the same information. Is there any solution to this? Kindly please help!
Hi ! We are just about to start our application process. We will just submit the papers that we have from our home country. We completed his adoption process there and we already have a new birth certificate with our names listed as parents. I checked the website of IRCC it looks like the same process of your biological child except they are asking for the adoption order.

Chrisces0303

Jun 29, 2022
Hi ! We are just about to start our application process. We will just submit the papers that we have from our home country. We completed his adoption process there and we already have a new birth certificate with our names listed as parents. I checked the website of IRCC it looks like the same process of your biological child except they are asking for the adoption order.
Hi Stancil were you able to sponsor your adopted child? I have the same problem, My ad
Hi Ravana,

How was your sponsorship appllication? were you able to sponsor your adopted child. I have the same situation with you

Kushal_75

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Pretoria, South Africa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23/06/2015
Doc's Request.
11/05/2016 & 8/06/2016
Nomination.....
13/06/2016
AOR Received.
ITA on 15.06.2016
IELTS Request
Done before creating EE profile
File Transfer...
Uploaded on 28.07.2016
Med's Request
Done before uploading file
Med's Done....
Done on 23.06.2016 - passed
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi,
Anyone has an been able to get citizenship for an orphaned minor child adopted abroad through domestic adoption, while being a resident in Canada for a hague signatory country on international adoption?

Thanks,
Kushal