+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how to speed up process time applying passport for new born outside of Canada

hungthoa0119

Mar 22, 2011
hi everyone,

I am a first class Canadian citizen and my wife is a PR. We are currently having our new born on the way OUTSIDE of CAnada (we are currently in Vietnam). I know that my new born will be automatically granted as Canadian citizen. However i want to fly back to Canada as soon as possible after my new born is born in Vietnam. I know you must be asking why dont we just fly back to Canada now to save the hassle. Well, the reason we are staying in Vietnam because my wife has a bit complication with her pregnancy , so flying will be a risk factor.

Can anyone please tell me how to speed up the process time applying passport for new born outside of Canada. I heard that if u show Canadian Embassy a flight ticket then they will issue a temporary passport within 3 weeks. Is this correct?

Should i still need to apply for proof of citizenship in the mean time?

Any answers will be very appreciated
thank you from very much from our couple HungThoa

have a great day

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I understand correctly both parents need to be Canadian citizens for the baby to be Canadian outside Canada. Your baby should be Vietnamese by birth and nationality I am hoping someone will be able to shed some more light into this.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Only one parent has to be a citizen. You must apply for the citizenship certificate at the embassy before they will give you a temporary passport.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hungthoa0119 said:
i dont think both parents need to be Canadian citizen inorder for the baby to obtain citizenship status.
Then what citizenship does a child have who is born outside Canada?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newtone said:
If one of the parents is a Canadian citizen, the baby is Canadian.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newtone said:
They might have many citizenships. Some countries give you birthright citizenship so it may take the one of the country where it is born. Most countries also allow parents to register their children as citizens so if the parents are from different countries, the child may end up with 3 citizenships. If one or both of the parents are dual citizens of different countries, it might even get more. Some countries do not allow more than one citizenships though and could refuse or let the child choose at the age of reaching majority.

There is actually one exception now to children of a Canadian citizen always getting citizenship and that is if the Canadian citizen parent was also born outside Canada and also gained citizenship because one or both parents were Canadian. In that case, the Canadian parent must sponsor the child for PR instead. This recent change of law came about to prevent the devaluation of Canadian citizenship by people not living in Canada passing on citizenship through generations of not living in Canada.

The baby born outside Canada, even if it gets citizenship from the Canadian parent will therefore not be able to pass on citizenship to its children if they are also born outside Canada.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
There is actually one exception now to children of a Canadian citizen always getting citizenship and that is if the Canadian citizen parent was also born outside Canada and also gained citizenship because one or both parents were Canadian. In that case, the Canadian parent must sponsor the child for PR instead. This recent change of law came about to prevent the devaluation of Canadian citizenship by people not living in Canada passing on citizenship through generations of not living in Canada.

The baby born outside Canada, even if it gets citizenship from the Canadian parent will therefore not be able to pass on citizenship to its children if they are also born outside Canada.
This one catches a lot of people.

hungthoa0119

Mar 22, 2011
Leon said:
Only one parent has to be a citizen. You must apply for the citizenship certificate at the embassy before they will give you a temporary passport.

hi Leon,

ok i must apply citizenship certificate before i can get the temporary passport. This sounds about right.
Leon, please tell me how long does temporary passport take? Is it true that u show the embassy some proof like a boarding ticket then they will expidite the process?

thank you very much , Leon

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You may have to show the embassy proof of travel to get the temporary passport at all. However, if you have proof of travel when you apply for the citizenship certificate, you can ask for that to be expedited. Some people have gotten it in a month when the normal processing times are 12-15 months.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Leon said:
You may have to show the embassy proof of travel to get the temporary passport at all. However, if you have proof of travel when you apply for the citizenship certificate, you can ask for that to be expedited. Some people have gotten it in a month when the normal processing times are 12-15 months.
If the child is under 2 then CHC will issue a limited validity passport with proof that the parent(s) have applied for proof of citizenship.

Bhags

Mar 22, 2015
Hi

If the child is under 2 then CHC will issue a limited validity passport with proof that the parent(s) have applied for proof of citizenship.

do anyone have idea what's the processing time for Limited validity passport after applying?

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
It can take 2 weeks or so.

I thought both applications should be applied at same time at the embassy, no? Or one has to be applied after the other?