+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to show US taxes filed in Canadian tax returns

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I worked in the US for 4 months in 2016 but had no work or income in Canada. I lived in Canada for 7 months. Im planning to file my taxes in Canada as a resident as I have filed a non resident in the US. Can someone please let me know how to go about it?

Thanks

alexchristi

Sep 8, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5th july 2011
AOR Received.
PER 8th sept.2011
IELTS Request
on file
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05. Oct. 2012
VISA ISSUED...
24. 10. 2012
LANDED..........
08.dec.2012
chikloo said:
Hi,
I worked in the US for 4 months in 2016 but had no work or income in Canada. I lived in Canada for 7 months. Im planning to file my taxes in Canada as a resident as I have filed a non resident in the US. Can someone please let me know how to go about it?

Thanks
I think that you should call the good people from the CRA. ;)
You could also go to one of those welcome centers and ask for advice.

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alexchristi said:
I think that you should call the good people from the CRA. ;)
You could also go to one of those welcome centers and ask for advice.
Thanks. I will do that. Just wanted to see if there was someone who has been in the same scenario.

If no replies in a day or two that was my plan. I do have a tax consultant but wanted to know before I go to him if the return he files is correct or not.

alexchristi

Sep 8, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5th july 2011
AOR Received.
PER 8th sept.2011
IELTS Request
on file
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05. Oct. 2012
VISA ISSUED...
24. 10. 2012
LANDED..........
08.dec.2012
chikloo said:
Thanks. I will do that. Just wanted to see if there was someone who has been in the same scenario.

If no replies in a day or two that was my plan. I do have a tax consultant but wanted to know before I go to him if the return he files is correct or not.
Here is an interesting link on this subject - http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/taxes/6-must-know-tax-facts-for-canadians-earning-abroad-1.1167892

You still have to file taxes in Canada and show the US income, even if you already filed taxes in the US.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
chikloo said:

Don't trust your accountant? You would trust random people on this forum over your accountant? OK, you show US taxes paid when you claim the foreign tax credit. Then, if filing a paper return you send in copies of all US tax returns, W2s, etc. If you file electronically, CRA will probably request this material later anyway. You can figure US federal, US state and local income tax and Medicare, FICA, etc. Into your credit. This may or may not be enough to eliminate all Canadian tax liability depending on your effective rate, income, etc.

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alexchristi said:
Here is an interesting link on this subject - http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/taxes/6-must-know-tax-facts-for-canadians-earning-abroad-1.1167892

You still have to file taxes in Canada and show the US income, even if you already filed taxes in the US.
Thanks

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
Don't trust your accountant? You would trust random people on this forum over your accountant? OK, you show US taxes paid when you claim the foreign tax credit. Then, if filing a paper return you send in copies of all US tax returns, W2s, etc. If you file electronically, CRA will probably request this material later anyway. You can figure US federal, US state and local income tax and Medicare, FICA, etc. Into your credit. This may or may not be enough to eliminate all Canadian tax liability depending on your effective rate, income, etc.
Second opinion would not hurt. I asked him if he has filed for anyone with US income and he may have hesitated a bit.

Thanks