+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to show CRA tax status change (to common law) for PR app?

epmarshall

Oct 11, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

My boyfriend (Canadian citizen) and I (US citizen) recently became common law on September 7, 2016. He changed his marital status to common law on CRA today, but we don't know how to convey this info to CIC. I was reading in another thread to take a screenshot showing the update, but we can't find a page on his account that actually shows his name and my name on the same page. So any page we include will just show my name as the common law partner and the effective date, but it won't actually show his name. I'm wondering what to do about this.

Also, one more quick question. Does the fact that this is a leap year affect our common law date or do they not get that specific with it? We started living together September 7 of last year and I just want to verify that I'm right about the date we entered into the common law relationship.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

ImABule

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 25, 2016
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
March 24, 2016 AOR2 April 15, 2016
File Transfer...
SA April 5, 2016
Med's Done....
February 02, 2016
Interview........
Queue- August 29, 2016 Waived- November 15, 2016
Passport Req..
November 17, 2016 DM- November 18, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
November 29, 2016
LANDED..........
December 19, 2016
epmarshall said:
Hi all,

My boyfriend (Canadian citizen) and I (US citizen) recently became common law on September 7, 2016. He changed his marital status to common law on CRA today, but we don't know how to convey this info to CIC. I was reading in another thread to take a screenshot showing the update, but we can't find a page on his account that actually shows his name and my name on the same page. So any page we include will just show my name as the common law partner and the effective date, but it won't actually show his name. I'm wondering what to do about this.

Also, one more quick question. Does the fact that this is a leap year affect our common law date or do they not get that specific with it? We started living together September 7 of last year and I just want to verify that I'm right about the date we entered into the common law relationship.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Hi

What I did was log onto CRA online account. Clicked on edit marital status and then screen grabbed the marital status showing my wife's first name.

I don't think the leap year will matter.

epmarshall

Oct 11, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ImABule said:
Hi

What I did was log onto CRA online account. Clicked on edit marital status and then screen grabbed the marital status showing my wife's first name.

I don't think the leap year will matter.
Thanks, ImABule. We will just grab the screenshot of the first name page then.