+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to select a good school for an 8th grader

PUTANI

Sep 10, 2013
Hello All,

I live in Dubai and we have been granted our PR recently. My daughter is studying in Grade 7, under the CBSE Curriculum.
My older child is doing her Engineering in the University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON.

I would be very grateful for the following information...

1. How do I select a good public school for her? Will I find good public schools in Waterloo or do all of you suggest I live in Toronto?
2. When exactly do I need to apply?( Like elsewhere, do they give out application forms around April/May for an academic year starting September or can I just reach in August and apply?)
3. On an average what would be my expenses towards her schooling, considering public schools are free?

Awaiting responses which would help me in any way.

Thanks so much in advance..this is an awesome forum :)

Rajani

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
PUTANI said:
I would be very grateful for the following information...

1. How do I select a good public school for her? Will I find good public schools in Waterloo or do all of you suggest I live in Toronto?
2. When exactly do I need to apply?( Like elsewhere, do they give out application forms around April/May for an academic year starting September or can I just reach in August and apply?)
3. On an average what would be my expenses towards her schooling, considering public schools are free?
With public schools, you don't generally get to "select" which school to send your child to. Rather, your child attends the school assigned to the area in which you live. There are some exceptions where you can apply to send your child to a school in another district, and if there do have some spots open, they will consider your request; however, this is becoming increasingly rare, particularly for highly coveted schools.

I would suggest looking at school rankings in the area you want to live (i.e., the part of Waterloo) and then finding a house within the best school district.

By law, your child will be provided with a seat at a school; however, if your local school is full, they may have to be "bussed" to a school further away which is inconvenient. As a result, it is to your advantage to try and enroll them at the earliest before the class fills up. However, you can not enroll your child until you can show a title deed or a lease demonstrating that you reside within the school district. Depending on your childs age, you may also have to show immunization records, and some other documents.

Schooling is indeed free, and the only expenses will be for small things like supplies.

PUTANI

Sep 10, 2013
Thankyou so much for your reply.

In short, I have to first decide where to live and then decide on the schooling.....will do:))

ummi

Star Member
Mar 29, 2012
Hi
I am sailing in the same boat..
Your research and findings can really be helpful for me. Can you please share your findings about school.
Is peel region and York region schools have same quality of education or anyone is more preferable?
Regards