+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to revoke PR status

v4x

Star Member
May 3, 2010
Hi members,

It is a long story but happened just after my husband got his PR (i sponsored him).
We have been together for 8 years (incl. 3 yrs marriage) I loved him and he did love me before he did this to me. After his landing, he said our personalities do not match all these yrs...i spent too much/my mom gave troubles things like that, he cannot live with me anymore. He also said he doesn't care about the status. I am shocked! i then followed him to our own country, i found out that he had an affair with one of his co-workers during those days I was in Canada which I have to be there for the sponsorship. I think it's my fault to leave him alone I blamed myself and tried to save the marriage, but it seems effortless, he didn't admit he had an affair. All he wants is to have me go back to Canada and he live in our country,i found it so strange. He listed all our differences and interest not match such and such,but everyone of my friends even his parents think these are all excuses. the tough part was, he tortured me mentally by saying these and drive me to blame myself and finally say divorce. the past 1 month is like hell to me, i admit all my fault even something i didn't do, i realized that he changed, he is no longer the man who loved me. I believed that the woman wants to get into Canada and use his PR as a bridge ,the timing matches (he changed dramatically right after he got PR) anyways, I am not going to blame myself and will not allow them hurt me anymore. I need to know is there anyway to stop his PR status or call CIC to revoke his PR, I will do it once necessary.

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Vancouver, BC/Pittsburgh, PA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
I'm sure someone else on here can verify for me, but I'm pretty sure that once your husband got his PR, there's no way for you to take it away from him. You signed an undertaking which makes you responsible for him for the next 3 years.

On the other hand, he has to be living in Canada for 2 out of every 5 years in order to maintain his PR status, I believe if he fails to do so then it will be taken away.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Sorry to hear what happened to you.
There is a new law, but it only applies for application received by CIC after the 25th of October, so it doesn't apply to you.
There is nothing that you can do to revoke his status. THe only thing you can do is report him to CIC, explaining what he has done and how you think he used you to gain PR in Canada, and how you discovered he has an affair etc...- it will not take away his status, but most likely it will make it more difficult for him to sponsor a new wife. There is also a sponsorship bar - 5 years, before he can sponsor anybody else.
Sweden

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's nothing you can do. His PR status cannot be revoked. The best thing you can do is move on.

Since you were in a relationship for 8 years and married for 3 - CIC will not see his as a marriage of convenience - just a relationship that unfortunately didn't work out.

If it gives you any peace of mind, he won't be able to sponsor his woman to Canada until 5 years have passed since the day he landed and became a PR.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
v4x said:
All he wants is to have me go back to Canada and he live in our country,
If that is what he does, you do not have to worry about revoking his PR status - his PR status will expire. He has to stay for 2 years out of 5 to keep his PR status. Don't tell him; maybe he doesn't know and it will expire before he realizes he has to come back.

However, you cannot revoke his PR status. I would send a letter (short and clear) about the situation to CIC and the Canada Border Services Agency. Include any proof you have - he entered Canada with his PR visa when your marriage to him was already over (according to him), so he should have told the visa office and certainly the border agent about this separation. No one would, of course, but it does mean he entered Canada fraudulently.
CIC and the CBSA will almost certainly do nothing, since your relationship has lasted so long. But they will keep your letters on file. This will create problems for him when he tries to sponsor anyone else. He won't be able to sponsor his new girlfriend until 5 years after he landed anyway, and not at all if he lets his PR status lapse.

v4x

Star Member
May 3, 2010
Thanks everyone.
which means that if I send a letter to CIC and they will keep on file,so he wouldn't be able to sponsor anyone else within 5 yrs? I think questions will always be raised if he decides to sponsor a new wife with or without me reporting. In fact, I am angry about the other woman, it is her who wants to come to Canada, I don't want my husband falls to this track.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
v4x said:
Thanks everyone.
which means that if I send a letter to CIC and they will keep on file,so he wouldn't be able to sponsor anyone else within 5 yrs? I think questions will always be raised if he decides to sponsor a new wife with or without me reporting. In fact, I am angry about the other woman, it is her who wants to come to Canada, I don't want my husband falls to this track.
It doesn't matter whether you send a letter or not. He won't be able to sponsor anyone for 5 years after he has landed.

v4x

Star Member
May 3, 2010
Sweden said:
Sorry to hear what happened to you.
There is a new law, but it only applies for application received by CIC after the 25th of October, so it doesn't apply to you.
There is nothing that you can do to revoke his status. THe only thing you can do is report him to CIC, explaining what he has done and how you think he used you to gain PR in Canada, and how you discovered he has an affair etc...- it will not take away his status, but most likely it will make it more difficult for him to sponsor a new wife. There is also a sponsorship bar - 5 years, before he can sponsor anybody else.
Sweden
Thanks ! what is a sponsorship bar, 5 yrs? you mean he cannot sponsor another one in 5 yrs starting from his landing date?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
v4x said:
Thanks ! what is a sponsorship bar, 5 yrs? you mean he cannot sponsor another one in 5 yrs starting from his landing date?
Correct. Because you sponsored him via the spousal sponsorship process - he can't sponsor someone via spousal sponsorship for 5 years.

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Vancouver, BC/Pittsburgh, PA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
scylla said:
Correct. Because you sponsored him via the spousal sponsorship process - he can't sponsor someone via spousal sponsorship for 5 years.
The same amount of time it takes is PR to expire if he fails to stay in Canada for at least 2 out of those 5 years.

mdna

Mar 3, 2012
The best thing you can do is move on - let it go. you're hurt, maybe angry... digging into these emotions will not be worth it, nothing can be done from CIC. set yourself free, and move on!

spaceraceone

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
mdna said:
The best thing you can do is move on - let it go. you're hurt, maybe angry... digging into these emotions will not be worth it, nothing can be done from CIC. set yourself free, and move!
I agree, forget that miserable man and start looking forward!

I heard it from somewhere - the best revenge is to be even happier and more successful!

Don't you worry - he'll be paid his own coin - in a way, it's already happening, now he can taste all the beauty of sponsoring somebody, which yes - he won't even get to do untill and unless he reaches his residency requirements.

v4x

Star Member
May 3, 2010
Thanks everybody for the information and those warming words. My family is protecting me and we will take it to the court. I got the proof (text msg between he and the other girl,all my thoughts were confirmed-sad) which shocked me was he's already consulting lawyers behind me about how to divorce me without my permit...moving on is the only way,but I have to protect myself...now I appreciated that my parents and friends give me their full support and everyone is on my side...including you guys. Hope this will end soon:)