+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to restart Canadian PR

itsricha

Jun 5, 2009
We got our PR 4 years back - stayed in the country for a few months and then moved to another country. Since it has been more than 4 years and we haven't returned, I am assuming that we have lost our PR status. So instead of applying for a PR card renewal, is it better to restart the PR process again or how do you invoke you old PR status?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You haven’t lost your PR status, but you are in violation of the residency obligation. If your PR cards are valid, you can return to Canada anytime, but you may be reported for RO and that will start the process to revoke your status. If they do that, you could appeal, but if you don’t have a vailid reason for not meeting RO, you will loose your PR status and have to leave Canada. If you get in unreported, you’ll need to remain in Canada for 2 years without leaving before you renew your PR card.
Whether you get reported is all hit and miss and depends on CBSA.

itsricha

Jun 5, 2009
You haven’t lost your PR status, but you are in violation of the residency obligation. If your PR cards are valid, you can return to Canada anytime, but you may be reported for RO and that will start the process to revoke your status. If they do that, you could appeal, but if you don’t have a vailid reason for not meeting RO, you will loose your PR status and have to leave Canada. If you get in unreported, you’ll need to remain in Canada for 2 years without leaving before you renew your PR card.
Whether you get reported is all hit and miss and depends on CBSA.
1. If we are unable to enter Canada before the PR expiration date, then what will be our options. Do we have to start the whole PR process again?
2. If I apply for renewal by getting some one to mail my renewal application from within Canada - will that cause any issues? I mean I will send it to my relatives In Canada and then they will mail it from there.

Thank you!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
1. If we are unable to enter Canada before the PR expiration date, then what will be our options. Do we have to start the whole PR process again?
2. If I apply for renewal by getting some one to mail my renewal application from within Canada - will that cause any issues? I mean I will send it to my relatives In Canada and then they will mail it from there.
Thank you!
1) you can either apply for a PRTD (but see 2 below) or attempt to cross the land border from the USA.

2) you can't renew your PR card(s) if you are not in compliance with the Residency Obligation requirements. It will almost certainly result in the loss of your PR status when they determine that you are inadmissible. Don't be tempted to falsify your physical presence evidence in order to submit a renewal application. It's likely to end very badly.

Last edited:

salahuddin2

May 1, 2014
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
18-09-2017
1) you can either apply for a PRTD (but see 2 below) or attempt to cross the land border from the USA.

2) you can't renew your PR card(s) if you are not in compliance with the Residency Obligation requirements. It will almost certainly result in the loss of your PR status when they determine that you are inadmissible. Don't be tempted to falsify your physical presence evidence in order to submit a renewal application. It's likely to end very badly.
Hi, just wanted to know the source of this information i.e. why is certain that he will lose his PR status ?? Because the CIC website does not talk about any such thing. You can stay in Canada even with an expired PR and complete 2 years of RO obligations.
so why is it sure ? Asking out of curiosity only ,, is there any one you know in person ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi, just wanted to know the source of this information i.e. why is certain that he will lose his PR status ?? Because the CIC website does not talk about any such thing. You can stay in Canada even with an expired PR and complete 2 years of RO obligations.
so why is it sure ? Asking out of curiosity only ,, is there any one you know in person ?
Nothing is certain but if someone applies to renew their PR card and in the application it is obvious that they have not met their residency obligation then it is probable to get some additional scrutiny requiring the applicant to justify not meeting the RO.

This could at some point result in the PR status being revoked subject to appeal if an explanation is not acceptable given the residency obligation is pretty generous hence recommendation to not apply to renew until in compliance given do not need except for a few circumstances a current PR card to live in Canada

Someone crossing the border having not met the RO stands the chance of being reported by CBSA leading to PR status possibly being revoked subject to appeal. Again nothing is certain and the decision to revoke is not made at the border by CBSA, they may or not report non compliance, but through due process by IRCC following an appeal.

So nothing is certain and each case is unique but the advice stands to limit interaction with immigration if not complying with the RO given IRCC do have the right to revoke after following due process often maybe as a last resort.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There are plenty of people who have done this in the Permanent Residency Obligation section of the forum.

salahuddin2

May 1, 2014
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
18-09-2017
There are plenty of people who have done this in the Permanent Residency Obligation section of the forum.
So in such a case . what is the recommendation from seniors ?
To renounce PR and re-apply in PNP

(I have a similar case) 6 months remaining in PR expiry. Only 20 days spent in canada.
Total family members are 5 (2 of them do not have PR) :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So in such a case . what is the recommendation from seniors ?
To renounce PR and re-apply in PNP

(I have a similar case) 6 months remaining in PR expiry. Only 20 days spent in canada.
Total family members are 5 (2 of them do not have PR) :(
It's really your choice what you do.

If you try to keep your current PR status and re-enter Canada without being reported, then it will be two years before you will qualify to sponsor the 2 family members who do not have PR which means you may have to be separated from these family members for 2+ years.

If you renounce PR, then you have to qualify and be selected from scratch - however you can reapply with your entire family.