+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to report lawyer (Startup Visa)

gulfs

Jan 9, 2023
Hello,

I found a lawyer with a suspicious reputation who allegedly specializes in start-up visas. Is there any way to report such a lawyer to the government or lawyers association?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I found a lawyer with a suspicious reputation who allegedly specializes in start-up visas. Is there any way to report such a lawyer to the government or lawyers association?
I assume this lawyer is in Canada? Which province? Being suspicious isn't really enough. You would need to provide evidence of some sort of wrongdoing.

gulfs

Jan 9, 2023
I got a startup visa around 2 years ago and hired lawyer to submit my application. I am following this forum for several years. And also saw these delays. Everything was fine. A year ago, the lawyer began to upsell unnecessary services to me, like marketing, business consulting, web site development. I did not apply for this.

When visa officers reached my case, recently, and asked to update the documents (travel, police certificate, bank statements, etc.), the lawyer refused to represent me without reason. Start talking very rudely, using words that I do not understand what kind of lawyer could use. Also, talked like "I'm not a secretary to send documents." when I asked to submit my documents, I collected.

I paid everything as per contract, good money.

Last edited:

katie.vanto

Mar 23, 2021
I got a startup visa around 2 years ago and hired lawyer to submit my application. I am following this forum for several years. And also saw these delays. Everything was fine. A year ago, the lawyer began to upsell unnecessary services to me, like marketing, business consulting, web site development. I did not apply for this.

When visa officers reached my case, recently, and asked to update the documents (travel, police certificate, bank statements, etc.), the lawyer refused to represent me without reason. Start talking very rudely, using words that I do not understand what kind of lawyer could use. Also, talked like "I'm not a secretary to send documents." when I asked to submit my documents, I collected.

I feel sorry about that. However and if there is something you and your lawyer did not understand each other, you should work together to figure out the matter instead of reporting or suing, because it will cost your time and money with nothing.

gulfs

Jan 9, 2023
I feel sorry about that. However and if there is something you and your lawyer did not understand each other, you should work together to figure out the matter instead of reporting or suing, because it will cost your time and money with nothing.
I tried it. It feels like the lawyer does it intentionally. Not sure about motivation, probably, because I did not apply for additional services.

gulfs

Jan 9, 2023
Yes, looks like the lawyer misrepresents herself and misconduct.
I will update this thread, probably, even with the name of they lawyer.

tldr
The lawyer used the fact that I was a hostage of the situation and did not apply for services that she was upselling to me. And as a result, decided to sabotage and ruin my application as a kind of revenge.

hmblaster

Star Member
Nov 24, 2020

So what is currently happening to your application? Did you work out the situation with your lawyer and submitted the docs or it's still in limbo?

I still wonder why a lawyer would sell these said services? It seems more like a consulting firm than a law firm, just personal observation. Let's assume it's a lawyer, did you have a signed agreement with the lawyer when you hired them? You can file a complaint with regulatory authorities if the lawyer violated the agreement. As a consumer, if you feel cheated or not being provided with promised services despite having paid required fees.

Lastly, I i would recommend/suggest you to immediately work with a registered IRCC consultant instead and have your documents submitted. You don't want to spoil your chances reaching so close to getting your PR approved. You can very well fight with the lawyer if he did anything wrong and may be recoup your fees but it may be an expensive take.

Decide your priority, PR or Fight against something wrong. Wish you all the best.

gulfs

Jan 9, 2023
So what is currently happening to your application? Did you work out the situation with your lawyer and submitted the docs or it's still in limbo?

I still wonder why a lawyer would sell these said services? It seems more like a consulting firm than a law firm, just personal observation. Let's assume it's a lawyer, did you have a signed agreement with the lawyer when you hired them? You can file a complaint with regulatory authorities if the lawyer violated the agreement. As a consumer, if you feel cheated or not being provided with promised services despite having paid required fees.

Lastly, I i would recommend/suggest you to immediately work with a registered IRCC consultant instead and have your documents submitted. You don't want to spoil your chances reaching so close to getting your PR approved. You can very well fight with the lawyer if he did anything wrong and may be recoup your fees but it may be an expensive take.

Decide your priority, PR or Fight against something wrong. Wish you all the best.
I sent them by email finally.
Lawyer looks like works with 3rd party firms (very low quality).
But the method is the following: criticize the business and refer 3rd part for a solution.

Is it common in Canada?

A bit of update, this lawyer tried to submit a false document to IRCC and mislead the Canadian government. I checked this document and prevented action. It is amazing; I was able to catch a lawyer in Canada on such a thing.
I will also update, there are just ridiculous things.

If know, where can I report it? So no startupers will struggle the same way
First I think Law Society of Ontario

Last edited:

hmblaster

Star Member
Nov 24, 2020
I sent them by email finally.
Lawyer looks like works with 3rd party firms (very low quality).
But the method is the following: criticize the business and refer 3rd part for a solution.

Is it common in Canada?

A bit of update, this lawyer tried to submit a false document to IRCC and mislead the Canadian government. I checked this document and prevented action. It is amazing; I was able to catch a lawyer in Canada on such a thing.
I will also update, there are just ridiculous things.

If know, where can I report it? So no startupers will struggle the same way
First I think Law Society of Ontario
You should articulate your complaints and follow the guidelines as mentioned here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigration-citizenship-representative/file-complaint-against-representative.html

Note that you need to log the wrongdoings in chronological order. You may also have to explain why a particular action is wrong in order for someone to review your complaint and action.

I'd also say that discuss briefly with your incubator and get some guidance in order to find out how to proceed. You may also seek a consultation from another lawyer, which may require retention and other charges to be paid.

It is painful to see someone go through this but it's also a right thing to do as there are so many frauds exist who run their petty shops to make money, every possible way.

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other
Hello,

Please note that It is important to check the website of the law society of the province where the lawyer practice for the most up-to-date and accurate information, its all on google