+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to register common law partnership

April@

Apr 27, 2021
Both my partner and I are students in Canada. We want to register and go for a common-law partnership. Do we need to hire lawyer for registration or Do we need to inform /apply in IRCC website?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Both my partner and I are students in Canada. We want to register and go for a common-law partnership. Do we need to hire lawyer for registration or Do we need to inform /apply in IRCC website?
There is no registration process.

If you want to claim common law in an immigration application, then you need to provide proof that you have cohabitated for at least one year continuously through evidence such as joint leases, joint bank accounts, joint utility bills, etc.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Which one of you is the Canadian PR (or citizen) that will be sponsoring the other non-PR person?

As long as you qualify and have evidence that you do (proof of cohabiting together for at least one full year), you likely will not need a lawyer.

Start by reading through this:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

April@

Apr 27, 2021
Which one of you is the Canadian PR (or citizen) that will be sponsoring the other non-PR person?

As long as you qualify and have evidence that you do (proof of cohabiting together for at least one full year), you likely will not need a lawyer.

Start by reading through this:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html
Both of us are international students and both are holding study permit. But, we were living together in the same house back in our home country. Now, I am applying for co-op work permit inside Canada and I would like to add my partner as common law partner. I didn’t mention when I applied for study permit outside Canada.

is that ok if I just change my status from Single to Common-law? Do we need to add some documents proof?

April@

Apr 27, 2021
There is no registration process.

If you want to claim common law in an immigration application, then you need to provide proof that you have cohabitated for at least one year continuously through evidence such as joint leases, joint bank accounts, joint utility bills, etc.
I am planning to apply for co-op work permit inside Canada and I would like to add my partner as common law partner. I didn’t mention when I applied for study permit outside Canada.

is that ok if I just change my status from Single to Common-law? Do we need to add some documents proof?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am planning to apply for co-op work permit inside Canada and I would like to add my partner as common law partner. I didn’t mention when I applied for study permit outside Canada.

Complicates matters that you did not declare your common law before. Can you not just get married?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Complicates matters that you did not declare your common law before. Can you not just get married?
It further complicates matter when it doesn't appear that one of them would be able to sponsor the other person. Doesn't sound like either are a Canadian citizen or PR...which is a deal breaker for sponsorship.

It's possible that the OP doesn't really understand the sponsorhip process for a Family Class Sponsorship, even though the thread was created in the Family Class Sponsorship forum.

Reactions: armoured