+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how to reapply my PR card?

lovableayie

Sep 22, 2012
my PR card Expired june 2012 and im now in the Philippines.. 2007 i stayed only less than 6 months then 2009 stayed only 15 days then 2012 stayed only 4 months.. my wife petition me and my daughther.. so i got my PR in canada.. my Question is im planning to go back in canada to visit them.. so what will the best move to go back to canada and visit them? Please anyone who can answer this.. thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You do not meet the residency obligation of 2 years in 5.

Knowing your exact situation is important for the answer.

1. Your wife lives in Canada and she is a PR or she is a citizen?

2. You are still married, not legally separated or divorced and neither of you is in a new relationship with another person?

If the answers to both 1. and 2. is yes, your wife could sponsor you for PR again if necessary.

In that case, you could apply for a PR travel document at the Canadian embassy in the Philippines. State the reasons why you could not meet the residency obligations and that your wife and daughter are living in Canada. If they feel you had mitigating circumstances like taking care of elderly/sick parents or similar and able to prove it, they may give you a travel document. The travel document will allow you to go to Canada and apply for a new PR card proving your reasons again. However, keep in mind that you should really stay for 2 years to meet the residency obligation. Otherwise, you are still at risk of losing your PR.

If they do not give you a travel document, they will most likely revoke your PR as it is now clear to them that you do not meet the requirements. If you just want to visit Canada, not stay, you could then apply for a visit visa. They could approve or deny it based on if they feel you are likely to overstay in Canada. Otherwise, your wife could sponsor you for PR again.

However, if you are now separated or divorced or either of you in in a new relationship with another person, she can not sponsor you in which case you have only one possibility of keeping your PR and that is to try to get a US visa, go to the US, rent a car and drive across the border to Canada with your expired PR card and hope they let you in without reporting you for not meeting the requirements. You have a somewhat better chance than you do with a travel document. If you do get in, you should stay for 2 years without trying to renew your PR card. If you have 2 years in Canada when you apply to renew, they can not refuse. If you get reported on entry, they will let you in but you would have to appeal for your PR.

lee65

Sep 22, 2012
In my opinion, If you are in Canada at Toronto you do not need any card to travel to another part of Canada. Contact the visa office immediately and clarify the situation.