+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how to read 6 month visitor visa what they mean by expiry date

punj+aab

Feb 1, 2015
Hi friends

i got 6 months visitor visa of Canada on 29 December 2015 and expiry date is 20 June 2016 .

now i am in confusion that what they do mean by expiry date .Does this mean that my stay of six months is going to expire on 20 june.Or they will count the stay when i will enter canada.please clear the things.

secondly , i am doing preparation for going canada in april.i want to stay there 5 months.When buying round trip air ticket which date of return shoud choose when we are not clear that how many days border officer will give us to stay there.

waiting for your response ....thanx and well wishes to all .... :)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

You can travel to Canada anytime before your visa expires ie 20 June 2016. However, the length of your stay, in Canada, will be determined by the immigration officer you meet at the POE.... this could be 6 months or less.

I suggest that you do NOT plan for a 5 months visit. Keep your visit to approx. what you had stated in your TRV application.

Also, do buy refundable air tickets that allow for date changes + carry adequate funds for your visit (approx CAD 1000 per week of visit) just in case you are asked by the immigration officer.

If you wish to bring in >CAD 10,000 then you must declare this money to CBSA + carry documentation to prove that it was rightfully earned by you

Cheers