+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to prove presence in Canada

Bonky

Mar 24, 2017
We applied for GCMS notes for our PR application, and since PA is currently in Canada on a TRV, we applied under the Privacy Act to avoid the extra form and paying the fee. They are now asking for proof that PA is in Canada. Shouldn’t they already know this from immigration records? What kind of proof can we give?
Thanks

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Entrance stamp in passport, airline ticket, etc.

The onus is on you to prove that the requestor is in Canada, not on the agency to prove that you are so that you can avoid paying the $5 ATIP fee.

Bonky

Mar 24, 2017
Entrance stamp in passport, airline ticket, etc.

The onus is on you to prove that the requestor is in Canada, not on the agency to prove that you are so that you can avoid paying the $5 ATIP fee.
Most Canadian airports no longer stamp passports, and even with a stamp it doesn’t prove the person is still in Canada months later. I’m thinking of a selfie with today’s local newspaper but it seems kind of ridiculous.

koolord

Star Member
Oct 24, 2019
Most Canadian airports no longer stamp passports, and even with a stamp it doesn’t prove the person is still in Canada months later. I’m thinking of a selfie with today’s local newspaper but it seems kind of ridiculous.
It can be a gas station receipt, a phone bill, a credit card receipt or a bill, all of which can show your activity track.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Quite honestly, it's likely to be a very low bar for proving that you are physically in Canada so almost anything will work. They're asking because they suspect you're just trying to avoid the fee (which you've stated you are).

Bonky

Mar 24, 2017
Quite honestly, it's likely to be a very low bar for proving that you are physically in Canada so almost anything will work. They're asking because they suspect you're just trying to avoid the fee (which you've stated you are).
Certainly the fee isn’t the top priority. I also wanted to avoid filling unnecessary forms. I’m not trying to do anything shady here - since the PA actually is in Canada, the Privacy Act is the most appropriate route to apply under, and I’d do it regardless of the fee.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Certainly the fee isn’t the top priority. I also wanted to avoid filling unnecessary forms. I’m not trying to do anything shady here - since the PA actually is in Canada, the Privacy Act is the most appropriate route to apply under, and I’d do it regardless of the fee.
Yes, this is all true. But that's why they're asking you to prove the PA is in Canada.

Bonky

Mar 24, 2017
Just as a follow up, credit card activity and phone records were deemed insufficient proof of presence in Canada. Besides the fact that IRCC/CBSA should already know if the PA is in Canada or not (since they are here legally) I find this ridiculous. They didn’t bother to suggest what kind of proof would be acceptable.

Anyone wondering why things might be taking so long - this would be a great example. Government incompetence and relentlessly making mountains out of molehills.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Just as a follow up, credit card activity and phone records were deemed insufficient proof of presence in Canada. Besides the fact that IRCC/CBSA should already know if the PA is in Canada or not (since they are here legally) I find this ridiculous. They didn’t bother to suggest what kind of proof would be acceptable.

Anyone wondering why things might be taking so long - this would be a great example. Government incompetence and relentlessly making mountains out of molehills.
They know if someone entered Canada. They don't know 100% if someone exited Canada, hence the need to prove that they are in Canada.

Bonky

Mar 24, 2017
They know if someone entered Canada. They don't know 100% if someone exited Canada, hence the need to prove that they are in Canada.
I wonder what sort of proof would be acceptable to convince them 100%. A statutory declaration and a selfie in front of the CN tower with today’s newspaper maybe? Absolutely ridiculous. They could at least provide some suggestions like they do in other applications.

We will fill out the forms and pay the $5. What a gigantic waste of time.

TrangNg

Dec 8, 2019
How about going to a local police station asking if they can help you with a written confirmation stating that you are currently present in Canada?

Bonky

Mar 24, 2017
How about going to a local police station asking if they can help you with a written confirmation stating that you are currently present in Canada?
Good idea, but given the need to distance and the time it would take I’ll just do the paperwork. I also have zero confidence that they will accept anything at this point, so could just be another 1-2 weeks of wasted time.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I really have to wonder what you did on your application to make them doubt that the applicant was inside of Canada. I have applied for GCMS notes with my wife, who is in Canada, and we got the notes in record time *and* no questions were asked about her presence in Canada.

Maybe the ATIP officer you got had a bad morning.