+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to properly state Dual Intent in study permit application?

Discussion in 'Temporary Residence in Canada (Work, Study, Visit)' started by MagicGary, Aug 16, 2019.

  1. Hi,

    I am trying to apply for post-graduate/baccalaureate certificate/degree program in Canada. And I intend to use post-gradaute-work-permit to work afterwards and then apply for Provincial nominee program or EE.

    But I have been told by some agencies here in China that there's a big chance that my application for Study Permit might be denied cuz I cannot "prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires". And It'd be better that if I apply for a master program instead and then I can transfer to 1 year post-graduate certificate program. (Seems like fishy)

    On the other hand, I've done some research on "dual intent" and it also says it cannot be used as a reason to deny the application.

    My background:
    1. Lives in China now
    2. Bachelor degree from the US
    3. Post-Bachelor Certificate in US graduate school, finished program but did not apply to graduate
    4. 2 years of work experiences in US after college (multiple jobs including full-time internships and full-time permanent jobs in headquarters of well-known companies.)
    5. Worked as software developer and data analyst.
    6. Has an Express Entry profile but did not apply, non-consistent NOCs to meet 1 year continuous requirement and do not have enough years of experiences to meet CRS 460 points.
    7. worked in China as a software developer, currently unemployed and can get a job here easily to continue gain express entry experience. But thinks going to Canada for school and then PNP is a better option.

    So here is my question, how should I properly state my intention on my study permit application to let them know I intend to immigrate, and also prove that I will leave Canada when my study permit expires?

    Thank you.
  2. You should really apply to graduate if you completed your US program. Why wouldn't you get the diploma if you completed the course?

    For a study permit you have to prove that you will return to China. There is no dual intent. You can eventually apply for PGWP if you qualify and then apply for PR if you qualify.
  3. I never needed it for employment in China, people pay more attention to past work experiences, so I never had to apply for it.

  4. Definitely dint bring this up in study permit or any other temp visa, its an auto rejection almost guaranteed.

Share This Page