+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to move to Canada from US without any skilled traits

Apr 10, 2017
So my wife is an immigrant from Mexico living in the US. We've been together for 5 years and married for 2. We have a 2 year old son. We are trying to move to Canada because of all the issues we are facing because of the current laws that our president is making their mission to enforce. My wife had lived here since she was 2 years old. Her and her family got forcefully deported in 2003 when she was 16 and then came back and has been living here, in the US ever since. We are both 30. I know it is extremely hard to move to Canada but we want to do it very badly. It's basically either that, move to Mexico or stick it out here. If she gets caught somehow(she has no criminal record and not do I) by ICE and deported again it will be truly devastating. She currently has a 10 year bar against her. But we don't want to go somewhere else for 10 years and come back we want a permanent life. I'm American. And for all intents and purposes so is she. Our son is too. We don't see Mexico as a logical solution. Please can anyone help me with any information. I sincerely hope there is some way we can fully move to Canada permanently. Thank you all.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Canada has a number of different immigration programs each with its own requirements. You'll need to spend some time researching these programs to see what it takes to apply and if you qualify. You can find detailed information here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/apply.asp

Note that the immigration process is the same regardless of your country of origin - unfortunately being American gives you no advantages in that regard. Your wife's status in the US won't be a problem provided she is 100% honest about it in your permanent residency obligation.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I just noticed the subject of your post. Moving to Canada without any skilled or trade experience is typically difficult to impossible. Canada's economic immigration programs are geared towards individuals with skilled work experience and/or trade experience (e.g. plumbing, electrical, etc.).

What do you do for work now? Do you have any experience from the last 10 years that may be classified as skilled or trade experience?

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
You're an American citizen? Your child is an American citizen. Your wife is a Mexican citizen. Presumably your child is also a Mexican citizen.

If you don't have skills or attributes that Canada wants, then moving there in your situation is practically impossible. Most of the streams are either skill-orientated (adding people to the workforce), or family orientated (but your immediate family is US/Mexican).

The two countries you can most sensibly be united in are the US & Mexico. Considering your wife's illegal status in the US, the most obvious choice is to look at moving you to Mexico.