+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to land/validate COPR while already in Canada as visitor?

waiting10yrs

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
Hey Everyone,

I have recently been approved for my PR and my COPR is being sent in the next week or so. WE applied OUTLAND so we don't get a landing appointment.

I was wondering what is the best way to go about landing. Heard that appointments will take way too long since I am visiting/living in the GTA and the Etobicoke office is very busy. We would like to get it done in the next month.

So my wife and I thought about going to the USA for the weekend (within the next 2 weeks) to validate it but hear/read that "flag polling" doesn't always work. And that the 3 southern Ontario borders are very busy so they only allow it on certain days of the week (Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays) and even then turn people away and tell them to book an appointment. As well we read that "flag polling" gives something called "Administrative Refusal" which neither my Canadian wife or her mother who is driving us want to get (I assume I can't get this because I am an American citizen).

Since I am American and my wife and her mother are Canadians we doubt we will have any trouble entering the USA.

I am currently on implied status and was waiting for my Visitor Extension so I know when I leave and go to the USA I will lose that implied visitor status. But now that I am approved for my PR and the COPR is on it's way I don't need the Visitor Extension no more and thus this is why I want to validate the COPR so I can get PR status rather than just implied/visitor.

So what I am wondering is if visiting the USA either at the Buffalo border or the Detroit border and stay for a few hours or even the night is still considered "flag polling" or rather is that considered a trip and I can tell them when I return that I want to validate my COPR?

Anyone else do similar. I seen a lot of "flag polling" posts and a lot of "flag polling" issues but not people saying they stayed in the USA a day or so and then entered again.

Thanks so much.

Last edited: