+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to know if my study permit approval is for my current DLI, and not a previous one?

sihan

Star Member
Jul 3, 2021
Hi guys, I have received my approval from IRCC for my study permit application a week ago.
However, I am not sure if this approval is for the current DLI that I am enrolled in.

You see, I had made this application initially with College A for Winter 2021 term . But eventually I withdrew from College A, so I stopped the study application at the Biometrics stage.
I have since been accepted to College B for Fall 2021 semester. I had wrote to the Singapore Visa office and asked them if I should cancel my earlier study permit application and start a new one for this new school I am accepted to.

To my surprise, the Singapore Visa office replied me and said that I can just send them my new LOA to be updated on my earlier study permit application. I sent IRCC my new LOA, new bank statements, new passport and other documents. And they told me to go for my medical report, which I did so promptly.

So several weeks after, I finally got my approval, but I am unsure this approval given is for College A or this is for College B.
Nothing in the Letter of Introduction specifies that which DLI is my approval provided for.

I had written previously via several web forms to inform IRCC of my change in DLI, although they have acknowledged receipt of the documents, they never once confirmed that they are now processing my application based on College B's LOA.

I do see that my ETA given is for my new passport. I sent my new passport details to IRCC alongside College B's LOA. So I am inclined to think that the approval I have now is for College B. But how can I be sure of this?

Reactions: MZHSECA

sihan

Star Member
Jul 3, 2021
You check check it online. Each DLI has a unique no.
I don't think my letter of introduction states the DLI number in there.
There is no piece of information on the letter that specifies directly which DLI that my approval is given for.

Is there anyway to check this?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Th
Hi guys, I have received my approval from IRCC for my study permit application a week ago.
However, I am not sure if this approval is for the current DLI that I am enrolled in.

You see, I had made this application initially with College A for Winter 2021 term . But eventually I withdrew from College A, so I stopped the study application at the Biometrics stage.
I have since been accepted to College B for Fall 2021 semester. I had wrote to the Singapore Visa office and asked them if I should cancel my earlier study permit application and start a new one for this new school I am accepted to.

To my surprise, the Singapore Visa office replied me and said that I can just send them my new LOA to be updated on my earlier study permit application. I sent IRCC my new LOA, new bank statements, new passport and other documents. And they told me to go for my medical report, which I did so promptly.

So several weeks after, I finally got my approval, but I am unsure this approval given is for College A or this is for College B.
Nothing in the Letter of Introduction specifies that which DLI is my approval provided for.

I had written previously via several web forms to inform IRCC of my change in DLI, although they have acknowledged receipt of the documents, they never once confirmed that they are now processing my application based on College B's LOA.

I do see that my ETA given is for my new passport. I sent my new passport details to IRCC alongside College B's LOA. So I am inclined to think that the approval I have now is for College B. But how can I be sure of this?
I don't think there's any way to know until the SP is issued, but in your case I'm inclined to think it was for College B. I'd advice that you print all the email correspondences with the Singapore office as proof, should CBSA raise an objection to your new LOA.

sihan

Star Member
Jul 3, 2021
The LOI doesn't list the DLI number.
I guess I will email / send web forms to IRCC and the Singapore visa office. Not so sure if they're gonna gimme a straight answer though.

If i order this thing call GCMS notes, do you think my approved DLI will be listed in there?

Shadow_Man

Dec 7, 2019
India
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
23/04/2021
Med's Done....
23-11-2020
Passport Req..
24-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
13-08-2021
I guess I will email / send web forms to IRCC and the Singapore visa office. Not so sure if they're gonna gimme a straight answer though.

If i order this thing call GCMS notes, do you think my approved DLI will be listed in there?
Yes, it will surely be displayed there. Do note that it will take 30 days the least to arrive.

sihan

Star Member
Jul 3, 2021
Yes, it will surely be displayed there. Do note that it will take 30 days the least to arrive.
Well, my Fall class commences on 7 September, so there should still be barely enough time for me to do that.
But how do I order the GCMS notes?

Is there a cheap / easy / safe way of getting this?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020

It will list your initial school in the early entries, but there will records of your webforms and you should be able to see notes by VO updated your LOA - if they did.

Shadow_Man

Dec 7, 2019
India
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
23/04/2021
Med's Done....
23-11-2020
Passport Req..
24-07-2021
VISA ISSUED...
13-08-2021
Well, my Fall class commences on 7 September, so there should still be barely enough time for me to do that.
But how do I order the GCMS notes?

Is there a cheap / easy / safe way of getting this?
The cheapest way would be ordering it with the help of someone who you know lives in Canada. It would cost only 5$ or something. Else there are many third party providers who you can use to order them but the cost increases a little bit. I recommend www.thegcmsonline.com, ordered mine from them and as far as I have seen they seems to be the cheapest. It is almost 13 cad with them. On the safety part, they mentioned that they will destroy notes after 7 days you receive them. It is pretty easy and straight forward procedure.

firestone45

Star Member
Apr 8, 2017
I would seriously recommend you to not do anything at all and just travel before they cancel your study permit. I'm speaking from my personal experience so do not do the same mistake as I did.

Initially, I applied for the college A fall 2020 but it was a blended mode program and I did not receive the visa on time so I withdrew from college A and applied to college B for the winter 2021 intake then I submitted my new LOA to IRCC using webform, I even got acknowledgement of the new LOA that they have received it and I was told that it will be updated in my application then eventually I got approved, I was thinking that I got approved for the college B when I received the stamped counterfoil, I found out that the visa was stamped for college A as I was able to see that the visa was given for just 1 year as my college B program is of 2 years. eventually to find out for which college the visa was stamped for, I applied for GCMS notes.... then the next day itself I got a mail from the embassy stating that "Due to the changes in my study plan, my previously issued visa has been canceled and I was asked to wait for a decision for the new DLI"

I understood that the new LOA which I provided a month back before getting PPR was never updated in my application until I applied for a GCMS note.
Now, I'm still waiting for a decision since 1 year.

I would request you to just travel and explain the situation to CBSA officers as you did update them about the change of DLI in your on-process application before getting a PPR, if incase they stop you and hesitate to give your study permit.

According to their rule, we can submit a new LOA if incase you change your DLI while your application is in process and I did the same.. the mistake is not ours but theirs for not updating it in our application on time.

sihan

Star Member
Jul 3, 2021
I am sorry to hear that. It sucks to know what happened to you.

Somehow I feel that my situation is different, because I withdrew from College A before I even completed the study permit application.
I stopped after giving my Biometrics. Also, the passport I submitted when I was applying for College A is an old passport of mine.

Now with College B, I have a new passport made.
I sent my new LOA along with my new passport to IRCC. I sent via web forms, I even mailed hard copies to their Edmonton office.
My ETA in the application page has been updated to my new passport. Since they can update my passport, I dun see why they did not update the LOA also.

My program with College B, the first semester is done fully online, so I will only be going over in my 2nd semester. If a wrong approval was given, to be perfectly honest, I will rather they cancel the approval now, instead of doing so when I finally am making my way to Canada.

After paying for the new semester, pay for air tickets, rent, all those arrangements, I think I will go bonkers if they were to reject me at the customs. If there is any cancellation for my visa done before I commence classes, then at least I can think of some backup plan.

I just ordered for GCMS notes as Shadow Man recommended, thanks btw.

PS:
I forgot to mention that my program with College A is a 2 year advanced diploma program, whereas my program with College B is a 1 year graduate certificate program.

But it does not state in the LOI, how long is the period of the study permit, if not I will already know on first glance which college's approval that I am getting.

maricelpba

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
I am sorry to hear that. It sucks to know what happened to you.

Somehow I feel that my situation is different, because I withdrew from College A before I even completed the study permit application.
I stopped after giving my Biometrics. Also, the passport I submitted when I was applying for College A is an old passport of mine.

Now with College B, I have a new passport made.
I sent my new LOA along with my new passport to IRCC. I sent via web forms, I even mailed hard copies to their Edmonton office.
My ETA in the application page has been updated to my new passport. Since they can update my passport, I dun see why they did not update the LOA also.

My program with College B, the first semester is done fully online, so I will only be going over in my 2nd semester. If a wrong approval was given, to be perfectly honest, I will rather they cancel the approval now, instead of doing so when I finally am making my way to Canada.

After paying for the new semester, pay for air tickets, rent, all those arrangements, I think I will go bonkers if they were to reject me at the customs. If there is any cancellation for my visa done before I commence classes, then at least I can think of some backup plan.

I just ordered for GCMS notes as Shadow Man recommended, thanks btw.

PS:
I forgot to mention that my program with College A is a 2 year advanced diploma program, whereas my program with College B is a 1 year graduate certificate program.

But it does not state in the LOI, how long is the period of the study permit, if not I will already know on first glance which college's approval that I am getting.
Hello! My husband also changed his DLI & intake while his application was in progress and we got to know that the approval that was given about 2 months after notifying IRCC about the change is really for his new DLI through the validity date mentioned in the 2nd page of the approval letter and in the Document Status portion (below Final Decision) in his GCKey Account.

Reactions: wonderbly