+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to keep track of freelance work (during part time hours as international student)

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
Hi,

I will be freelancing within the 20 hours per week I'm allowed to as an international student once I arrive in Canada.

My question is how do I keep track of the 20 hours since I don't really have freelance shifts or pay by the hour? As in, how do I prove it?

Do I need to in the first place if I'm not being employed by Canadian companies? I'll be earning money (mostly via PayPal) from clients in other countries. Keep in mind though, this will go to a PayPal account linked with my new Canadian bank account once I open one.

My plan was to just keep a record of how much I'm working per week in an excel sheet. Is this the best thing to do? Do you think I'll be asked to prove it at all?

Any insight would be appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is more complicated. If you are consulting you’d have to set up your own company and work with an accountant. You can’t just get paid through PayPal and act like it is cash payments. Well technically you can but if you get caught you could ruin your future in Canada.

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
This is more complicated. If you are consulting you’d have to set up your own company and work with an accountant. You can’t just get paid through PayPal and act like it is cash payments. Well technically you can but if you get caught you could ruin your future in Canada.
Get caught? Huh? As far as I'm aware -- having asked/checked with multiple forums, university international advisors etc. -- freelancing is allowed as long as it's within the 20 hour limit. PayPal payments aren't under the table either. I'm sure each transaction is reported like they do in other countries. Regardless, it will go to my Canadian bank account and of course, I plan on filing my taxes with this self-employed income.

Also, many people are self-employed without being registered as a business or incorporating, especially if they're invoicing under their own name and making less than $30,000 CAD.

Last edited:

Vicksy

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
Get caught? Huh? As far as I'm aware -- having asked/checked with multiple forums, university international advisors etc. -- freelancing is allowed as long as it's within the 20 hour limit. PayPal payments aren't under the table either. I'm sure each transaction is reported like they do in other countries. Regardless, it will go to my Canadian bank account and of course, I plan on filing my taxes with this self-employed income.

Also, many people are self-employed without being registered as a business or incorporating, especially if they're invoicing under their own name and making less than $30,000 CAD.
Hi Luke,

How did you arrange/keep track of this self-employed activity during your status as international student? I'm about to start my postgrad study in London, ON, and intended to keep freelancing (I'm freelance translator) to support my expenses here in Canada. Considering the 20 hours/week rule, does it mean that as student I can only earn CAD 300/week (current hourly wage in ON is CAD15)?

Thanks for any insight.

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
Hi Luke,

How did you arrange/keep track of this self-employed activity during your status as international student? I'm about to start my postgrad study in London, ON, and intended to keep freelancing (I'm freelance translator) to support my expenses here in Canada. Considering the 20 hours/week rule, does it mean that as student I can only earn CAD 300/week (current hourly wage in ON is CAD15)?

Thanks for any insight.
I used an excel sheet but that was just as a safety precaution. Nobody ended up checking or inquiring. You are fine to work regardless of the pay rate, it's just the hours that matter. Check the updated rules, I believe intl students can work more than 20 hours temporarily.

Vicksy

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
I used an excel sheet but that was just as a safety precaution. Nobody ended up checking or inquiring. You are fine to work regardless of the pay rate, it's just the hours that matter. Check the updated rules, I believe intl students can work more than 20 hours temporarily.
Okay then, I'm a bit worried as I have ongoing project now which has started and will be completed by May 2023 (after I start the course) and the amount is around USD 3,800. And my client is not even Canadian company nor based in Canada.

sayedm10

Mar 26, 2023
Hi lukeortolani and Vicksy. I am a freelancer myself and about to land in Canada later this month. I read your whole thread. As a freelancer, I end up making lots more than most students would with a part time job. I at times earn anywhere between 2000-4000 USD/per month. I have similar doubts. Firstly, I intend not to do freelance work for Canadian clients. Does it mean that the 20 hour per week restriction doesn't apply (as mentioned by the IRCC). Secondly, how do we keep a track of the working hours. Is there any standardized procedure of doing this? What do you guys think about the whole situation? I would love to talk to you directly over a meeting or on email if that's convenient. My email address is sayedmasodi10@gmail.com

sayedm10

Mar 26, 2023
Okay. Roughly what would you consider safe earning per month while working as a freelancer? Or a safe earning per hour? I work in a competitive market where I am a top-tier freelancer and I charge my clients sometimes upwards of 60USD/hr. Please share your thoughts. There seems to be no way of reaching the IRCC directly.

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
Okay. Roughly what would you consider safe earning per month while working as a freelancer? Or a safe earning per hour? I work in a competitive market where I am a top-tier freelancer and I charge my clients sometimes upwards of 60USD/hr. Please share your thoughts. There seems to be no way of reaching the IRCC directly.
Why should it matter? I don't think it matters how much you make as long as you are reporting it. The more you make, the better for the Canadian economy.

Just know this: Freelancing as an intl student is fine regardless of the pay, regardless of where the client is based for 20 hours per week max. Now they've temporarily scrapped the 20 hour rule.

To be extra safe, contact your school's international office.

sayedm10

Mar 26, 2023
Your answers make a lot of sense. I appreciate it buddy, and I will get in touch with the intl office regarding the same.
Just for my knowledge, have you spoken to anyone at the IRCC about this whole issue cause there seems to be nothing on the internet and I've been reading about this subject for days now.

sayedm10

Mar 26, 2023
Hey Buddy, I sent a DM to the IRCC French account on twitter. And this is a copy of our conversation with translations. Let me know what you think of the conversation, I can also attach the screenshots if you'd like:

Sayed: Si mon permis d'études me permet de travailler hors campus et que je choisis de travailler en ligne en tant que pigiste. Je travaille pour des clients qui ne sont pas basés au Canada. La restriction de 20 heures/semaine s'appliquera-t-elle ? Aussi, suis-je obligé de déposer des impôts sur ce revenu ?

English: If my study permit allows me to work off-campus and I choose to work online as a freelancer. I work for clients that are not based in Canada. Will the 20 hour/week restriction apply? Also, do I have to file taxes on this income?

IRCC: @sayedane10 Bonjour. Travailler à domicile pour une entreprise située dans un autre pays ne compte pas comme un travail au Canada. La limite de 20 heures ne s’applique pas. Toutefois, en tant que titulaire d’un permis d’études, il y a plusieurs conditions que vous devez tout de même respecter. Si le travail interfère avec vos études, par exemple, vous pourriez enfreindre les conditions de votre permis d’études. Veuillez communiquer avec l’Agence du revenu du Canada au sujet de votre deuxième question. Merci.

English: @sayedane10 Hello. Working from home for a business located in another country does not count as working in Canada. The 20 hour limit does not apply. However, as a study permit holder, there are several conditions that you must still meet. If the work interferes with your studies, for example, you could violate the conditions of your study permit. Please contact the Canada Revenue Agency regarding your second question. THANKS.