walaa

Star Member
Feb 17, 2013
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
24-06-2017
Hello everyone
I’m a permanent resident for 2 years but live outside canada, how long should I stay in Canada to maintain the PR status??
And when can I apply for citizenship??
Can someone explain please
Thank you

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You must reside in Canada for 2 years in any 5 year period to meet the residency obligation.This starts with the 5 years from initial landing after which becomes a rolling 5 years at each new entry to Canada.

If you live outside Canada then each time you enter then you must be able to demonstrate 2 years residency in the 5 years preceding each new entry, failure to do so can potentially lead to PR status being revoked.

For citizenship you must physically reside in Canada for 3 years in the 5 years preceding a citizenship application

Reactions: ContactFront

walaa

Star Member
Feb 17, 2013
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
24-06-2017
You must reside in Canada for 2 years in any 5 year period to meet the residency obligation.This starts with the 5 years from initial landing after which becomes a rolling 5 years at each new entry to Canada.

If you live outside Canada then each time you enter then you must be able to demonstrate 2 years residency in the 5 years preceding each new entry, failure to do so can potentially lead to PR status being revoked.

For citizenship you must physically reside in Canada for 3 years in the 5 years preceding a citizenship application
Thank you for your help
So they will count 3 years from my entry date to be able to apply for citizenship?
I mean that should I stay 2 years to maintain PR status then 3 years to apply for citizenship (total 5 years) or if I stayed 3 years in Canada that would be ok to apply for citizenship