+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to initiate the process of sponsoring immediate family membees to Canada

tikna2013

Jan 10, 2018
Hi,
Hope everyone is having a good day!!
I am a Canadian PR currently residing in my hometown in India,I was scheduled to travel to Canada permanently last year but my plans got postponed due to the pandemic and with the way the situation is shaping, chances look slim this year as well.
My PR card expires in the November of 2024 and my question is : Can i still plan on travelling to Canada as a PR in the month of June next year? Also,I am getting married in December this year so if i travel to Canada by June next year(2022),how soon can i start the paperwork for my wife to come to Canada and what would be the requirements or pre requisites to complete that process?
Any suggestions/insights would ne deeply appreciated!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
Hope everyone is having a good day!!
I am a Canadian PR currently residing in my hometown in India,I was scheduled to travel to Canada permanently last year but my plans got postponed due to the pandemic and with the way the situation is shaping, chances look slim this year as well.
My PR card expires in the November of 2024 and my question is : Can i still plan on travelling to Canada as a PR in the month of June next year? Also,I am getting married in December this year so if i travel to Canada by June next year(2022),how soon can i start the paperwork for my wife to come to Canada and what would be the requirements or pre requisites to complete that process?
Any suggestions/insights would ne deeply appreciated!!
You can return to Canada whenever you wish. However you should make it a priority to ensure you meet the residency requirement. This means you want to make sure that you haven't spent more than 1095 days (3 years) outside of Canada. It's hard to comment on when you should return to Canada without knowing when you first landed in Canada and became a PR - and how much time you have spent in Canada since landing.

You can submit the application to sponsor your wife as soon as you have returned to Canada (you cannot apply from outside of Canada). When you submit the application to sponsor your wife, you must make sure you meet the residency requirement.

tikna2013

Jan 10, 2018
Hi scylla,
Appreciate the prompt response and the valuable information you shared.As a followup to my question,i made my soft landing in the October of 2019 and my PR expires in the month of November 2024,so if i decide to travel permanenty anytime next year,i presume i will still be able to fulfill the residential criteria in Canada, request you to please provide some insight into this.
Thanks again!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi scylla,
Appreciate the prompt response and the valuable information you shared.As a followup to my question,i made my soft landing in the October of 2019 and my PR expires in the month of November 2024,so if i decide to travel permanenty anytime next year,i presume i will still be able to fulfill the residential criteria in Canada, request you to please provide some insight into this.
Thanks again!!
Not quite correct.

The residency obligation count starts from the time you landed in Canada and became a PR (i.e. October 2019). The date of the expiry of your PR card is irrelevant.

So you need to return to Canada before three years have passed since you landed (so you need to return to Canada to live here sometime in October 2022 or earlier). If you return to Canada once more than three years have passed since your landing date, then you won't meet the residency obligation and sponsoring your spouse will be a problem.

tikna2013

Jan 10, 2018
Understood and thank you again,that helped
I was anyways planning to travel by May-June next year but isn’t the border immigration in Canada giving some relaxatations if one is not able to travel owing to the pandemic?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Understood and thank you again,that helped
I was anyways planning to travel by May-June next year but isn’t the border immigration in Canada giving some relaxatations if one is not able to travel owing to the pandemic?
No - there has been no relaxation in the residency requirement due to the pandemic. PRs are free to return to Canada and have been for a long time now. There are fairly frequent flight from India to Canada.

Reactions: YVR123