+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to increase chances of finding a job? Doing a pg diploma or M.eng

Hamid1573

Nov 9, 2019
Hi everyone, I am a new immigrant and i just landed last week in toronto, i need some help i will explain my situation.
i have a masters degree in mechanical engineering and 5 years of work experience both from outside of canada, I have immigrated under the federal skilled worker program, so i have been sending my resume to job postings on indeed mostly and some on linkedin but unfortunately i got no calls, i wanted to know that is my education and work experience from outside of canada the problem or my skills because i have the requirements in the job postings but as i said no calls for interview. I wanted to know what should i do to ease my job search and help me land a job? should i get a post graduate diploma in my field or do a masters of engineering? will these help me land a job? or should i try something else.
please help me
thank you

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi everyone, I am a new immigrant and i just landed last week in toronto, i need some help i will explain my situation.
i have a masters degree in mechanical engineering and 5 years of work experience both from outside of canada, I have immigrated under the federal skilled worker program, so i have been sending my resume to job postings on indeed mostly and some on linkedin but unfortunately i got no calls, i wanted to know that is my education and work experience from outside of canada the problem or my skills because i have the requirements in the job postings but as i said no calls for interview. I wanted to know what should i do to ease my job search and help me land a job? should i get a post graduate diploma in my field or do a masters of engineering? will these help me land a job? or should i try something else.
please help me
thank you
First things first - you've been here a week! Job searching in a new country can take some time, so don't be too disheartened that you haven't gotten a job in your first week.

You need to start networking by attending industry events in your field, getting to know people, understand how hiring in Canada works in your field. Do all this for a month or two, and then think about doing a Master's or other degree. You'll probably have the answer by then yourself.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Often takes a skilled Canadian a minimum of 2 months to get a job. It can take a lot longer. Would encourage you to do your research and not limit your job search to one city. That would be my advice to anyone but especially newer graduates and people new to Canada. Sometimes areas like Toronto are saturated with people with similar skills. If you look across Canada you may find much better opportunities.

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
I know ppl in IT who got their 1st job after 3-4 months.

For Mech Engg's would suggest to hold your Fort for 6 months without being disheartened.