amarecharla

Oct 25, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-02-2015
Hi All,
My wife and myself are applying for citizenship. We had our child in July 2015 and my wife was on a maternity leave till June 2016. Simple breakdown

Maternity leave: July 2015-June 2016
Vacation: Dec 2015-Mar 2016
At home: July 2015-Nov 2015 & Mar 2016-June 2016

She returned to work in July 2016.

I am filling her application and struck at question 11.
If I am supposed to enter her employee details, what should I enter for "Where were you physically present"? Although she was employed she did not go to office she was at home.

It is really confusing, please give some suggestions.

Thank you!!!

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Unless she quit her job, she was still technically employed while on maternity leave. If it was me, I would put that she was employed throughout and took a long vacation in between.

krishna_05

Star Member
Nov 21, 2013
Unless she quit her job, she was still technically employed while on maternity leave. If it was me, I would put that she was employed throughout and took a long vacation in between.
Second that. Did the same on our application.

amarecharla

Oct 25, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-02-2015
Thank you so much for the replies. One more doubt, whose details should I use as 'Name of Contact' for the time she was on mat leave and physically in Canada? I was thinking of giving my friend's details or my details.
Please give some suggestions.

Thank You.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Thank you so much for the replies. One more doubt, whose details should I use as 'Name of Contact' for the time she was on mat leave and physically in Canada? I was thinking of giving my friend's details or my details.
Please give some suggestions.

Thank You.
As she is technically still employed, maybe just her supervisor? Again, if it were me, I wouldn't make a separate line item for having been on mat leave.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Technically her job was "on hold" and she was collecting EI during her maternity leave. She was not "employed" by the company as she was not getting paid during leave. Only that her job is secured upon returning from her leave.

If she was "employed" by company during her maternity leave, she wouldn't be able to claim EI if she was let go shortly after her return to work since she would have to "restart" her qualification EI employment hours from scratch.

In my opinion, she should list "maternity leave" in her work history. Once she get paid by the company, that is when she started working for company. Write N/A for name of contact during her maternity leave since she after all at home from work.

Last edited:

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Technically her job was "on hold" and she was collecting EI during her maternity leave. She was not "employed" by the company as she was not getting paid during leave. Only that her job is secured upon returning from her leave.

If she was "employed" by company during her maternity leave, she wouldn't be able to claim EI if she was let go shortly after her return to work since she would have to "restart" her qualification EI employment hours from scratch.

In my opinion, she should list "maternity leave" in her work history. Once she get paid by the company, that is when she started working for company. Write N/A for name of contact during her maternity leave since she after all at home from work.
Fair point. I took too narrow a viewpoint as my wife's company pays them during mat leave.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Fair point. I took too narrow a viewpoint as my wife's company pays them during mat leave.
Yeah company doesn't pay maternity EI. Government does.

Reactions: screech339

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013

I would agree with this. Sometimes including something like this wont hurt your chances. Be safe and include as a separate line item.