How to improve my IELTS score?

LinaM

Star Member
Mar 3, 2016
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi friends,

I want to increase my IELTS score. I am weak in Listening. Especially at multiple choice questions. Reading skill is quite good but I lack on 'yes' 'no' 'not given'. While in Speaking and Writing, even though I am confident, I could not score much as I expect. I have given my exam two times but the last one pulled me back when compared to the first Exam. Can anyone help me to improve my IELTS score?

For reference
IELTS 1st time:L-6.5,R-8,W-6,S-6.5
IELTS 2nd time:L-6,R-7,W-6.5,S-6.5

LinaM

Star Member
Mar 3, 2016
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have given above

First attempt: Over all 7

L-6.5
W-6
S-6.5
R-8

Second attempt: Over all 6.5

L-6
W-6.5
S-6.5
R-7

Unistu

Feb 25, 2016
Hello,

I recommend to go online and practice, moreover read a lot and watch videos for native speakers.

This will improve your english a lot.

houseofcard

May 5, 2016
Your reading score is impressive! I wish I could get 8 in reading!I am sure proper practice can help you to improve!

AlanChapney

Apr 16, 2016
LinaM said:
Hi friends,

I want to increase my IELTS score. I am weak in Listening. Especially at multiple choice questions. Reading skill is quite good but I lack on 'yes' 'no' 'not given'. While in Speaking and Writing, even though I am confident, I could not score much as I expect. I have given my exam two times but the last one pulled me back when compared to the first Exam. Can anyone help me to improve my IELTS score?

For reference
IELTS 1st time:L-6.5,R-8,W-6,S-6.5
IELTS 2nd time:L-6,R-7,W-6.5,S-6.5
I had to take IELTS two times. After first fail I was focusing on the sections where I had the lowest score (writing). Simply by doing the exercises related to the section every day I automatized my writing skill. The secret of passing IELTS is familiarity with the test structure, and it can only be improved trough repeating standardized procedures

LinaM

Star Member
Mar 3, 2016
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you all for your advice. Is there any technique to improve my listening skill? I listen keenly but some how I lose my concentration when I feel that I missed one answer and later unable to concentrate on other questions. Here I lack. So can anyone guide me to improve my concentration other than practicing the test as I do practice.

Donna Norton

Apr 19, 2016
I have the same problem with Listening, sometimes I get lost and fail all test :( I see no other way than training this skill. I mean not just by practising the test itself, but by listening to English everyday. I like this app called 6 minute English listening with BBC, you can try it too. Master your skills, good luck ;)

LinaM

Star Member
Mar 3, 2016
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Donna Norton said:
I have the same problem with Listening, sometimes I get lost and fail all test :( I see no other way than training this skill. I mean not just by practising the test itself, but by listening to English everyday. I like this app called 6 minute English listening with BBC, you can try it too. Master your skills, good luck ;)
Thank you and wish you the same!..I can find myself where I strugle is in modified multiple choice questions. Because I could not read all the for options which are really lengthy than the question and unable to read and listen and write at the same time. How to deal with these questions? U see even on practising I even got 40/40 when the option are not that much length. But cannot cope up with big sentence especially when it comes in section 4, we have only 30 seconds to go through the questions and we have to read all the 10 questions within the stipulated time.

Donna Norton

Apr 19, 2016
LinaM said:
Thank you and wish you the same!..I can find myself where I strugle is in modified multiple choice questions. Because I could not read all the for options which are really lengthy than the question and unable to read and listen and write at the same time. How to deal with these questions? U see even on practising I even got 40/40 when the option are not that much length. But cannot cope up with big sentence especially when it comes in section 4, we have only 30 seconds to go through the questions and we have to read all the 10 questions within the stipulated time.
Thank you!
If I'm not mistaken there are some techniques dedicated to your problem. If you struggle with reading long questions, they suggest to read the key parts of it. So that you get the question and do not waste the precious time. Still it needs practice.
Those big sentences are really confusing. So easy for non-native English speakers to misunderstand it. Happened to me too many times ???

volodyalysak

Jul 6, 2016
US- Rocky Mountains
Category........
Visa Office......
USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-12-2016
AOR Received.
06-12-2016
Med's Done....
06-02-2017
Passport Req..
08-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-03-2017
LANDED..........
Mid May 2017
What helped me to improve listening was BBC news every day for 2 hours.
First attempt:
L:6.5
W:7.5
R:7
S:7.5

Second attempt:
L:9
R:7
W:7,5
S:8.5

Also take bunch of practice tests on youtube for listening.

loriejane812

Mar 10, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My advice is that instead of learning difficult & strange words, you should focus on examining the words in context, together with learning word forms ( countable, uncountable, noun , verb,…) , collocations related to these words ( followed by which adjectives, verbs or nouns…).

Let’s get down to improving your range of vocabulary in the effective way with the following 5-step plan to have a flexible use of a rich variety of vocabulary:

1. Read & Listen! Most vocabulary words are learned from context so let’s pick a TV show, radio, podcast, magazine or book that interest you. (Bear in mind that you shouldn’t force yourself to watch or read something you are not a fan of because you can feel distracted and then can’t stick to your plan). The more words you’re exposed to, the better vocabulary you will have. While you read, pay close attention to words you don’t know & how they are used. First, try to figure out their meanings from context. Then look the words up.

2. Get in the habit of looking up words you don’t know. It is absolutely essential to set up at least either of the online dictionaries named Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary and Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary. Keep in mind to keep it open and handy with thesauruses on its tool bar to look up any new word you are not entirely sure of. Beside each word you should jot down a brief note of the meaning, collocations, synonyms, example sentences, antonyms and pronunciation. You can also draw pictures, relate the word to words you already know or do whatever to remember the word.

Firstly, you can look up the dictionary to check if you used it correctly (its meaning, its form) and read the examples they made.
For example: you used “ “knowledges” instead of “ knowledge” –> you ‘re wrong.

Secondly, check the synonym
Synonym: knowledge = understanding, perception, comprehension
Then, read an example sentence or two:
My teacher was well-known for his great knowledge, the most of which she had obtained from books.

Then, checking collocations
For example :
large knowledge --> wrong
broad knowledge --> right

3. Own one notebook: Have your own notebook and take note all of new words with meaning, collocations, examples, synonyms and the mistakes you made when using these words.

4. Use mnemonics ( memory tricks):
Learning a word won’t help very much if you promptly forget it. Research shows that it takes from 10 to 20 repetitions to really make a word part of your vocabulary. Therefore, you had better review the new words after 10 minutes –one day – 4 days – one week – two weeks – one month – two months (based on spaced repetition, a learning technique to exploit the psychological spacing effect). Also, practice using the new words in a sentence.

5. Practice, practice, practice!

You should use the new words you noted down in your speaking, writing and check your vocabulary regularly to make sure you the words stick in your long-term memory. You can download the following materials at ieltsmaterial.com to practice at home

Check your English Vocabulary for IELTS (by Rawdon Wyatt)
Vocabulary for Top 9 Common Topics in IELTS exam
English Collocation in Use (Advanced)
English Vocabulary in Use

This single learning method is the most powerful way I know for improving your Vocabulary and lots of my students have been successful with it. I bet you will do the same if you get your hand in learning vocabulary with this simple 5-step plan.

You can read more from this link:
http://ieltsmaterial.com/how-to-boost-your-vocabulary-score-in-ielts-writing-and-speaking/

ummea4canada

Apr 29, 2016
hi everyone....

Hope everything is going fine

I was taking preparation for IELTS for 4.5 months however, i am facing some serious problem regarding IELTS....
i think everyone in this forum had taken IELTS xum because this is the 1st criteria to fulfill the EE profile at the category of language proficiency. i have taken some mock xums and the results were not satisfactory.i have already done my WES along with my husband's ECA.I am really unable to create the EE profile without my IELTS result.....the main problem is in the section of Writing & Reading

Writing:Lack of Ideas,grammar mistakes ,poor Spelling etc

Result of Mock:higherst 6 ....sometimes >6

Reading:not more than 22-24....concentrate breaks in last 2 sections....
Result of Mock:6 or 5.5 want to increase it badly

Plz provide me any suggestion regarding this and advice me that how can i improve it.... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Thanks in advance

UMMEA