+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to go to US and reenter Canada without PR card yet

empz59

Jun 20, 2016
Hello my wife want to go the US for September to celebrate our anniversary but I'm landing September also. Can I still reenter Canada if no PR card yet?

sawadee-eh

Star Member
Nov 25, 2015
You can enter back to Canada by private car with just your Passport and the CoPR document.

If you want to enter Canada without the PR Card by plane, train, bus, etc...then there are two methods.

First method is: if you are from a visa exempt country (like USA for example where its citizens don't need a visa to visit Canada) then you would use that passport to board the airline (do NOT show airline the CoPR, remove it from passport, then put it back later), then when in Canada use the Passport and CoPR ot be allowed in.

Second: If you are from a non-visa exempt country (country that would need a visa to visit Canada), then you MUST get a PRTD (permanent resident travel document). You apply for this from outside Canada, at the Canadian consulate/embassy in whatever country to are visiting (USA in your case). Not sure how long that takes to receive (if you are only in the US for a few days or a week, you might not get the PRTD fast enough). You then use your passport with that PRTD to board the airplane.

The issue is that the commercial carriers will not accept the CoPR document so they won't let you board (without a visa exempt passport OR a PRTD). Once you are in Canada, immigration there can easily use the CoPR document to look you up and see you are a PR.

Hope that helps.

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
sawadee-eh said:
You can enter back to Canada by private car with just your Passport and the CoPR document.

If you want to enter Canada without the PR Card by plane, train, bus, etc...then there are two methods.

First method is: if you are from a visa exempt country (like USA for example where its citizens don't need a visa to visit Canada) then you would use that passport to board the airline (do NOT show airline the CoPR, remove it from passport, then put it back later), then when in Canada use the Passport and CoPR ot be allowed in.

Second: If you are from a non-visa exempt country (country that would need a visa to visit Canada), then you MUST get a PRTD (permanent resident travel document). You apply for this from outside Canada, at the Canadian consulate/embassy in whatever country to are visiting (USA in your case). Not sure how long that takes to receive (if you are only in the US for a few days or a week, you might not get the PRTD fast enough). You then use your passport with that PRTD to board the airplane.

The issue is that the commercial carriers will not accept the CoPR document so they won't let you board (without a visa exempt passport OR a PRTD). Once you are in Canada, immigration there can easily use the CoPR document to look you up and see you are a PR.

Hope that helps.
Also aware that you can enter Canada by road, with passport and COPR. on a non-commercial vehicle .

1LukeSkywalker

Jun 27, 2016
I don't know if you have finalised this, but another option is to do landing procedures in Canada after your stay in the US.

Good luck!

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Bear in mind most visa exempt countries (excl. the US I believe) require an eTA. Technically there is a leniency period until Sept 29th, but it's not being observed by all airlines in all countries. I've seen airlines asking for it and if missing why. I had a unsigned CoPR but was let through on the strength of my word, you may not be.

So imho you are best off landing when you return unless you are driving back across the border. PRTD can take time and is apparently a real pain (according to my lawyer), and if you review the form it's not the most friendly. Or, fly back to a airport just over the border and drive over.

CoPR should be removed from passport and kept in a very safe place. It is not required (or even acceptable) to travel commercially. But it is needed for Citizenship application, for example. Also for new SIN/Health card. That said; I would take it on a land crossing if my PR card was pending.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
jc94 said:
Bear in mind most visa exempt countries (excl. the US I believe) require an eTA. Technically there is a leniency period until Sept 29th, but it's not being observed by all airlines in all countries. I've seen airlines asking for it and if missing why. I had a unsigned CoPR but was let through on the strength of my word, you may not be.

So imho you are best off landing when you return unless you are driving back across the border. PRTD can take time and is apparently a real pain (according to my lawyer), and if you review the form it's not the most friendly. Or, fly back to a airport just over the border and drive over.

CoPR should be removed from passport and kept in a very safe place. It is not required (or even acceptable) to travel commercially. But it is needed for Citizenship application, for example. Also for new SIN/Health card. That said; I would take it on a land crossing if my PR card was pending.
for US citizens who are traveling by car, a PRTD is not required. this is specific to flying. As a US citizen who travels by car frequently across the border I can confirm the fact that ONLY the passport and COPR are required. I've done this many times without issue. the pr card is not essential for US citizens to travel, especially those who travel by car.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Yes sorry if this wasn't clear. PR card/PRTD is only required for commercial carrier, generally flying (unless on a private jet). These are required to get on board the plane, not by CBSA so a private jet would have no issues and CBSA are required to let you in as long as they can somehow confirm you are a PR.

I'd be surprised if a PR card didn't make it easier to cross the border once you have one though. Save questions on why you only have the COPR.

This is all regardless of passport too. Once you have Canadian PR the passport you are travelling on is almost irrelevant no? As long as it's within date.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
jc94 said:
I'd be surprised if a PR card didn't make it easier to cross the border once you have one though. Save questions on why you only have the COPR.

This is all regardless of passport too. Once you have Canadian PR the passport you are travelling on is almost irrelevant no? As long as it's within date.
possibly for flying. i've always have driven cross the border, so i can't say what's easiest when flying. i never have been questioned about having a copr or not having a pr card at the land border. when i got my pr card and used it, i was told i don't need to present my passport, only the pr card. not sure if this is the same with flying...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Tubsmagee said:
Is it possible to get a replacement COPR? I don't have it or my PR card.
If you have lost your COPR, you can order a replacement copy. The processing time for replacements is around six months.

deepak_kh3

Apr 25, 2017
for US citizens who are traveling by car, a PRTD is not required. this is specific to flying. As a US citizen who travels by car frequently across the border I can confirm the fact that ONLY the passport and COPR are required. I've done this many times without issue. the pr card is not essential for US citizens to travel, especially those who travel by car.
Is it possible to cross over to canada on foot at say rainbow bridge with just passport and Copr. I am not from a visa exempt country. Basically fly to new york > new york to Niagara usa by public bus > cross over by foot to Niagara canada > take public bus to toronto.

Please help confirm if this is viable.
Thanks

deepak_kh3

Apr 25, 2017
Is it possible to cross over to canada on foot at say rainbow bridge with just passport and Copr. I am not from a visa exempt country. Basically fly to new york > new york to Niagara usa by public bus > cross over by foot to Niagara canada > take public bus to toronto.

Please help confirm if this is viable.
Thanks
Anyone?