+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to go about aquiring PR status - prospective student.

Sarah B

Aug 27, 2010
Hi there,

I'm basically looking to find out what would be an easy and cost effective way to immigrate to Canada.
Currently, I live in Cape Town South Africa where I'm finishing my honours degree in musicology and art history and I've also done a year of architectural drafting (2009) - after which I decided to look at doing an additional degree or diploma in Interior Architecture in Canada, as I have several family members who live there (my Aunt and Uncle + subsequent generations thereof).

What would be a list of my options and chances in this regard?
I have been to Canada before and plan on visiting again at the end of this year to see whether I indeed still "fit" into the culture etc.

Thanks so much in advance :)
Regards,
-Sarah.

immiggal

Aug 28, 2010
Hi Sarah -

You sound like you have some good ideas & plans. If you graduate from a post-secondary school in Canada, it will give you experience with the Canadian way of life etc. It may also qualify you to apply for permanent residence down the road...

You need to be accepted to a Canadian school first, then apply for and obtain a student visa. Once you have spent time studying in Canada, you may find work in Canada (off-campus work permit, post-grad work permit etc.). From there you may be able to apply for permanent residence down the road, depending on the immigration programs in existence at that time.

Your question is a little vague, so its difficult to answer... I hope I've helped at least a little....

Good luck,

immiggal