+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get wife to Canada? (fastest way)

rktocanada

Mar 12, 2020
Hi all,

I am in similar situation not exactly the same. I am a PR holder here in Canada and my fiance is in the States. I want to bring her here as soon as possible. What are our options?
1. Apply TRV - Does anyone know what are the current timelines for the TRV applications? Are they even getting approved if my fiance shows the reason for travel as recreational? Can I provide invitation letter as a friend vs fiance to avoid complexities?
2. Apply outland sponsorship - If I am able to get to the States and we get married, is outland sponsorship a better option?
3. I would prefer to apply her application inland to leverage Open Work Permit (OWP) benefit. Is getting married and then applying for TRV under family reunion category suitable or risky?
4. Are there any other options?

Could you please help out what is best in this covid situation? Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

I am in similar situation not exactly the same. I am a PR holder here in Canada and my fiance is in the States. I want to bring her here as soon as possible. What are our options?
1. Apply TRV - Does anyone know what are the current timelines for the TRV applications? Are they even getting approved if my fiance shows the reason for travel as recreational? Can I provide invitation letter as a friend vs fiance to avoid complexities?
2. Apply outland sponsorship - If I am able to get to the States and we get married, is outland sponsorship a better option?
3. I would prefer to apply her application inland to leverage Open Work Permit (OWP) benefit. Is getting married and then applying for TRV under family reunion category suitable or risky?
4. Are there any other options?

Could you please help out what is best in this covid situation? Thanks in advance.
1. Even if she gets a TRV she doesn’t meet the current travel restrictions.
2. That is an option.
3. Most spouses are not awarded a TRV because they aren’t true visitors. I would try to get a TRV before you get married. There isn’t anything called a TRV under family reunification.
4. No unless your fiancée is a US citizen.

sarvesh90

Jun 18, 2018
Hello all,

I've been a Canadian permanent for over a year now. My fiance applied for a TRV on July 1. The idea behind this application was the same - to get the TRV approved before our marriage in October.

But with current processing delays, her application hasn't been approved yet.

I have two options

1. To keep the TRV application untouched and wait for the decision.
2. To raise a webform after our marriage in October and submit legal documents to prove that she qualifies for travel exemption as an immediate family member. The plan is to support this webform with strong ties to India and a valid job (she's a dentist in India)

What should I do?

rktocanada

Mar 12, 2020
1. Even if she gets a TRV she doesn’t meet the current travel restrictions.
2. That is an option.
3. Most spouses are not awarded a TRV because they aren’t true visitors. I would try to get a TRV before you get married. There isn’t anything called a TRV under family reunification.
4. No unless your fiancée is a US citizen.
Thanks, @canuck78. So, it looks like the best option is to get the TRV, and then when we are legally married bring her here (or before if recreational travel is allowed) and sponsor her PR as inland applicant. Would you or @sarvesh90 (you seem to be in a similar boat with TRV) know a thread where TRV application timelines and approvals are being tracked?

sarvesh90

Jun 18, 2018
Thanks, @canuck78. So, it looks like the best option is to get the TRV, and then when we are legally married bring her here (or before if recreational travel is allowed) and sponsor her PR as inland applicant. Would you or @sarvesh90 (you seem to be in a similar boat with TRV) know a thread where TRV application timelines and approvals are being tracked?
I don't. I'm desperately trying to find some thread for the same. If you do find one, please let us know :)

Reactions: rktocanada

Achuni

Star Member
Sep 11, 2020
My sowp application status is still in progress. But when I raised webform I came to know that application was approved but since vacs are closed they couldn't issue visa now. So is there any other way so that I can get my visa?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My sowp application status is still in progress. But when I raised webform I came to know that application was approved but since vacs are closed they couldn't issue visa now. So is there any other way so that I can get my visa?
No.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
TRV ie not guaranteed so you can't make any plans until you know whether she gets the TRV.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,

I've been a Canadian permanent for over a year now. My fiance applied for a TRV on July 1. The idea behind this application was the same - to get the TRV approved before our marriage in October.

But with current processing delays, her application hasn't been approved yet.

I have two options

1. To keep the TRV application untouched and wait for the decision.
2. To raise a webform after our marriage in October and submit legal documents to prove that she qualifies for travel exemption as an immediate family member. The plan is to support this webform with strong ties to India and a valid job (she's a dentist in India)

What should I do?
The travel exemption is only for those who have a TRV. Spouses are not all approved for TRVs. There has been some confusion thinking that all spouses will be able to enter canada based on the travel exemptions. Spouses who have been approved for a TRV will be able to travel to Canada bt getting a TRV is far from guaranteed. Many spouses are denied.

Ranajib

Sep 18, 2020
I have the same problem.

I applied for SP for my minor kids and TRV for my husband by paper application on March 2020 and till now, they are in process. I have a work visa and hoping once I reach Canada and hold official work permit and attach it to the application, they embassy might expedite my request. Any body tried it ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have the same problem.

I applied for SP for my minor kids and TRV for my husband by paper application on March 2020 and till now, they are in process. I have a work visa and hoping once I reach Canada and hold official work permit and attach it to the application, they embassy might expedite my request. Any body tried it ?
You can try. Your spouse and children also need special permission to travel to Canada even when they receive their visas/permits due to travel restrictions.

Ranajib

Sep 18, 2020
You can try. Your spouse and children also need special permission to travel to Canada even when they receive their visas/permits due to travel restrictions.
I am an essential worker.

Exemption is acceptable for immidiate family members. But we are waiting for the visas for the past 7 months