+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get passport to and from London High Commission - Thanks for help!

Jorros

Aug 14, 2009
Montreal, Canada
So, I'm a UK citizen living in Canada and I'm being sponsored by my husband (who is Canadian). The application is being processed outside of Canada (in the London office). I just got an email from the High Commission in London saying I need to give them my passport so they can affix the visa.

The problem is I'm having a REALLY hard time finding info about mailing in my passport and it looks to me like I'm going to have to go to London to do it in person.

Has anyone had to go through this? Does anyone know if I can mail it in and have them courier it back to me?

Thanks so much for any help at all!!

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
FedEx or UPS the passport to London and include a prepaid FedEx or UPS envelope with your address. Don't do Purolator.

tme

May 22, 2009
hey Jorros, I think getting your passport over there might be the easy part. It's the "landing" bit that might be more interesting - have a read of the recent post from ukmike - 'Possibly Lost Passport In Mail - Please Help!'. I'm assuming you did an outland application and have since gone into canada as a visitor..

I'm very interested to hear your experience with actually landing as we will hopefully be in your situation in a few months time and we would like to avoid the extra trip!

thx,
tme

canada69

Aug 19, 2009
I am in a similar position (replied to post from ukmike)...have flight booked in 3 weeks and it takes 6 weels to get it back.

Do I cancel trip and wait around or go, then send from Canada.

P
NB I don't think 'landing' is the problem, just need to go over border and come back through bwith the passport...

jclark

Jul 24, 2009
Hi
I just responded to UKMikes question along the similiar vein as your question. From our experience I would check with officials about mailing passports in any form (registered etc.) The british embassy destroyed my fiances' passport rather than return it anywhere. I was told that was protocol and when I think about it, it makes sense as a passport in transit could fall into the wrong hands.
I would check with the powers that be.

Jorros

Aug 14, 2009
Montreal, Canada
So the whole original problem was caused by me leaving a page on the printer and not realising that there were instructions on how to mail the passport on the last page of the document they sent us.

We sent it off as per the instructions in the document. We don't expect any problems. When we receive the visa we're just going to drive to the American border and cross back.

When we get the visa we'll let everyone know how it went. Ditto for the border crossing (the "landing").

Thanks for the feedback. Message us if you want more detailed info.

Jorros

Aug 14, 2009
Montreal, Canada
@canada69

I can't imagine flying there and back. If you have the time and money it would be a nice vacation but it's wholly unrealistic for us to even consider.

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be mailed to and fro. That being said, I haven't gotten the passport back yet and can't tell you that it's not in a shredder somewhere.

Tara_W

Apr 8, 2009
We posted my parter's passport to London from Ireland- registered mailed- and they sent it back (Royal Mail Registered) in the self addressed envelope we included. All was well.

ukmike got his passport sent back to his parents who are still resident in the UK and they Fedexed it to him. He thought it was lost on the way over as the tracking online hadn't updated, but it turned out to be just delayed due to a strike.

Good luck!
Tara

JamesM

Star Member
Feb 4, 2009
Job Offer........
Tara_W said:
We posted my parter's passport to London from Ireland- registered mailed- and they sent it back (Royal Mail Registered) in the self addressed envelope we included. All was well.

ukmike got his passport sent back to his parents who are still resident in the UK and they Fedexed it to him. He thought it was lost on the way over as the tracking online hadn't updated, but it turned out to be just delayed due to a strike.

Good luck!
Tara
Wasn't sure if I should include a regular envelope or pre-paid courier one.
This helped a lot. Thanks. Sending passport tomorrow!

randhawa

Jan 11, 2010
i am also in the same situation........

my case is processing in CHC new delhi..........i got both medical and passport request.......for PR

what should i do...i am in canada......

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
randhawa said:
i am also in the same situation........

my case is processing in CHC new delhi..........i got both medical and passport request.......for PR

what should i do...i am in canada......
CHC New Delhi will not send the passport outside of Canada (I think it's because it's illegal), so you will either have to go to India or have it mailed to someone else in India. For example I've heard of people having the passport mailed to their parents in India and then they forward the passport to you in Canada (it's sometimes put in a book to cover the fact that it's a passport inside).

Paddyboy

May 17, 2009
My passport was sent back with a courier (pre-paid) and an email and note saying it was against their policy to courier to private address's. However they made an exception because my medicals were due to expire in the next 2 weeks.

Hope this helps