App. Filed.......
2019-04-29
File Transfer...
2019-07-08
Med's Request
2019-07-08
Med's Done....
2019-07-17
So my relationship with my parents get worse after they arrived in Canada.
I'd like to estrange from the family, by mutual agreement.

My parents have their own pension, can support themselves financially and will live with their younger son.
They have two sons who live in the same city and are wealthier than I am.

Edit: The reason for estrangement is to avoid contact with my brother, and my parents who only trust my brother. It has been a nightmare for the past 4 years and my whole family are mentally drained.
My parents are giving all their money to my brother and expecting me to pay for long-term care home for them.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

My parents have their own pension, can support themselves financially and will live with their younger son.

Edit: The reason for estrangement is to avoid contact with my brother, and my parents who only trust my brother. It has been a nightmare for the past 4 years and my whole family are mentally drained.
My parents are giving all their money to my brother and expecting me to pay for long-term care home for them.
You agreed to the 20-year agreement. There is no way out even if there is a breakdown of the relationship. They got PGP because of your support.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

You can’t
You’re on the hook for 20 years
Looking at your historic postings , didn’t they literally just arrive ?

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/parents-and-grandparents-sponsorship-2019.611761/page-3618#post-9917932

Like the PPR was in Jan 2022

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1355&top=14

Last edited:
Reactions: rang_canada

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

You have 16 more years. There is no way to get out from undertaking of your parents.
You do not need to contact them. You just need to pay the government back if they obtain any social assistance from the government.

rang_canada

Star Member
Jun 7, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
App. Filed.......
2019-04-29
File Transfer...
2019-07-08
Med's Request
2019-07-08
Med's Done....
2019-07-17
You have 16 more years. There is no way to get out from undertaking of your parents.
You do not need to contact them. You just need to pay the government back if they obtain any social assistance from the government.
What constitutes social assistance in Ontario? In my eyes they probably wont be able get any anyway....

Unfortunately since they are not here long enough to get OAS, long term care is out of pocket expenses that 'somehow' the sponsor has to support.
And my brother is not willing to pay a single dime out of his pocket because I'm the sponsor.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
What constitutes social assistance in Ontario? In my eyes they probably wont be able get any anyway....

Unfortunately since they are not here long enough to get OAS, long term care is out of pocket expenses that 'somehow' the sponsor has to support.
And my brother is not willing to pay a single dime out of his pocket because I'm the sponsor.
I don't live in Ontario, may be others can help.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

If they get help paying for long term care, then you have to pay the government back. But if you are paying it out of pocket, then that's all from you and not from the government.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-help-paying-long-term-care
Government subsidy
If you don't have enough income to pay for the basic room, you may be eligible for a subsidy through the Long-Term Care Home Rate Reduction Program.
If you qualify, you or a lawful representative must complete an application form and submit it to your long-term care home.

What's covered by the subsidy
If you qualify, you could get a subsidy of up to $1,891.31 a month to help you pay for basic long-term care accommodation.

rang_canada

Star Member
Jun 7, 2019
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
App. Filed.......
2019-04-29
File Transfer...
2019-07-08
Med's Request
2019-07-08
Med's Done....
2019-07-17
If they get help paying for long term care, then you have to pay the government back. But if you are paying it out of pocket, then that's all from you and not from the government.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-help-paying-long-term-care
Government subsidy
If you don't have enough income to pay for the basic room, you may be eligible for a subsidy through the Long-Term Care Home Rate Reduction Program.
If you qualify, you or a lawful representative must complete an application form and submit it to your long-term care home.

What's covered by the subsidy
If you qualify, you could get a subsidy of up to $1,891.31 a month to help you pay for basic long-term care accommodation.
Thank you for the information.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1. No, you were the one that signed the undertaking. Nothing in the undertaking says you have to pay for long term care. You are only responsible if the go on public welfare, then you will be expected to pay the funds back.

Reactions: armoured

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

If they go on Ontario Works (welfare) that would constitue social assistance which you would be responsible for paying back to the government.

As others have said, there is no way to get out of the obligation. You will be responsible for them for 20 years.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You put yourself in such mess. There is no turn around. You shouldn't had entered the PGP lottery in 2019 in the first place during the early part of your nightmare.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

1. No, you were the one that signed the undertaking. Nothing in the undertaking says you have to pay for long term care. You are only responsible if the go on public welfare, then you will be expected to pay the funds back.
There is a bed fee for LTC that everyone pays for if they enter LTC in Ontario. If they want to live in LTC they are required to pay for it. If the children don’t pay the sponsoring child has to pay. Many are unaware of the large potential financial liability for children who sponsor their parents and are very shocked when they are told they will b3 responsible for the bill.. After 10 years when they qualify for OAS/GIS at least most should qualify for a shared room. If you’ve lived in Canada for over 10 years 0AS/GIS, CPP, etc. usually cover the cost. If parents ho are being sponsored

Reactions: YVR123