+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get Canadian Citizenship as an European Citizen.

Costa007

Mar 7, 2015
Hello everyone,
I am new in this forum.Searched for couple of days to get info about settlement in Canada.Finally found this forum.
I am an European (Portugal)citizen and want to go to Canada and settle there. I am not skilled worker. I want to know that, how may I settle there in Canada or how could I get Canadian Citizenship and how long it will take ?Please help me with your valuable information.

thanks in advance

Costa007

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is the citizenship forum and your questions really refer to immigration. You may want to go here and see whether there is an immigration category that would work for you: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/index.php

Costa007

Mar 7, 2015
As I mentioned I am new here thats why did not know where should i ask.
Thanks a lot for your info.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Costa007 said:
Hello everyone,
I am new in this forum.Searched for couple of days to get info about settlement in Canada.Finally found this forum.
I am an European (Portugal)citizen and want to go to Canada and settle there. I am not skilled worker. I want to know that, how may I settle there in Canada or how could I get Canadian Citizenship and how long it will take ?Please help me with your valuable information.

thanks in advance

Costa007
Hi Costa,

You will need to immigrate to Canada as a Permanent Residence and be a Permanent Residence of Canada for a certain period of time, before you qualify for Citizenship. In order to apply for Permanent Residence, you will need to either a) qualify under one of the categories set by Federal Government or b) qualify one of the categories set up by any Province in Canada - look nominee programs for all the Provinces and see if you qualify.

The other option would be to come as a student/temporary worker and then apply for immigration.

hope this gives a bigger picture of the system in Canada.

asaif

Sep 3, 2010
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It doesn't really matter if you are European or not. Even Britons, the subjects of the same Queen of Canada, must go through the same process (apply for immigration if they qualify, stay in Canada for 4 years, then apply for citizenship.) As previous replies suggested, start by checking the immigration classes to see if you qualify under one of them.

asaif

Sep 3, 2010
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
titosyr said:
Asif,
My friend I think he is being from EU is a plus, this mean faster process as their immigration offices are not loaded with application,
Well, I checked the processing times for skilled worker immigrants and found that some European offices have extremely long times. For instance, the processing time for Rome office is 42 months, and 34 months for Warsaw, compared to 21 month for Beijing office and 24 months for New Delhi office. There is no advantage whatsoever for European applicants. The Canadian preferential immigration system for Europeans was dropped fifty years ago.

dav3000

Star Member
Aug 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My family applied from England and it took about 5 years.

NSBoy902

Star Member
Jun 30, 2013
Costa007 said:
Hello everyone,

thanks in advance

Costa007
You need to go thru the same process like we do. You country of origin does not change offer you a different process

titosyr

Jan 24, 2015
asaif said:
Well, I checked the processing times for skilled worker immigrants and found that some European offices have extremely long times. For instance, the processing time for Rome office is 42 months, and 34 months for Warsaw, compared to 21 month for Beijing office and 24 months for New Delhi office. There is no advantage whatsoever for European applicants. The Canadian preferential immigration system for Europeans was dropped fifty years ago.
you are right, but there is an advantage for EU citizens, they can get work permit relatively easier than other nationals, I worked with many people who came here from France and Switzerland find work and got work visa and got PR after 2 years,
I know this is different from applying in Europe but still this is happening

Canuckguytorontotdot

Mar 11, 2015
You just have to come here as a PR and live for 4 years if the new law is in effect and if not 3 years and apply for citizenship then U can back anywhere and live in the world