+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how to get an off-campus work permit fast?

sukh807

Nov 6, 2009
Hi, I am a international student studying in Ottawa, undertaking an undergraduate diploma. I know I have to wait 6 months(4 to go) before I could apply for an Off campus work permit..is there a way I could apply to get it quicker as I am in financial difficulty and cant find jobs on campus and will need a job to continue my studies in Canada...what should i do?

t_boy

Oct 16, 2009
Sorry to hear, but unfortunately you can't get the off campus work permit any faster you have to wait the six months as stated by CIC.
But you can continue looking for a job on campus and if you are unsuccessful, then most likely you will have to return home due to your financial dificulties.

When you applied for your study permit didn't you show you had enough money for a year to cover you expenses and tuition ?

sukh807

Nov 6, 2009
I thought I heard somewhere that you can get it earlier if you have financial difficluties...if you can prove it to CIC,something like that..just wanted to know if thats true. I am pretty confident I read it somewhere...

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sukh807 said:
I thought I heard somewhere that you can get it earlier if you have financial difficluties...if you can prove it to CIC,something like that..just wanted to know if thats true. I am pretty confident I read it somewhere...
Yes you can apply if you can prove financial difficulty, but if granted, it will be only to complete the semester or year.

"5.42 Humanitarian reasons R208
A. Destitute students
LMO Exemption Code: H81
This applies to foreign students who, due to circumstances beyond their control, may find
themselves unable to meet the cost of their studies in Canada, be it their day-to-day needs or
their tuition. While academic institutions do grant some leeway on obligations such as tuition and
residence fees, there may not be a source of relief for the subsistence of students in these
circumstances unless they are allowed to work. R208 provides the opportunity for students to
cover such difficult financial periods, should on-campus employment provided for under R186(f)
prove to be insufficient.
Eligibility
Each case should be considered on its own merit. Some cases will be self-evident such as cases
of war, upheaval in home country, collapse of the banking system, etc., while others will require
further explanation by the applicant, usually at an interview with an immigration officer.
An open work permit may be issued to coincide with the duration of the current term of study;
neither for the duration of the entire program of studies nor for the duration of the study permit.

PMM