+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to gather evidences for my refugee claim?

TheNomad

Mar 20, 2021
Hello there everyone,

I am writing to know if any of you can suggest me what kind of evidences can I submit in regards to substantiate my claim? What kind of documentary evidences can I submit aside from national document packages? Can you give any examples? Thanks in advance.

DamnYouDaria

Star Member
Aug 20, 2020
Yukon
Category........
Other
It depends on what you're claiming. Here's a list of the categories of evidence that I provided.
  1. A flash drive I received from the District Attorney's office complete with body cam footage, PDF copies of the police reports, and a bunch of other things.
  2. Correspondence with the district attorneys office, including a Motion to Dismiss the charges against my abuser filed by the District Attorney's office, along with an order from the judge granting said order.
  3. Transcripts from subsequent 911 calls.
  4. Subsequent attempts to get protection from the police and correspondence confirming their refusal to protect.
  5. Copies of the US Transgender Survey and the state level reports documenting the institutional bigotry against transgender people.
  6. A letter from the Social Security Administration confirming that they refuse to accept the fact that I am a victim of Harassment, Abuse, and Life Endangerment, thus they refuse to protect me.
  7. A bunch of other country conditions evidence.
  8. Copies of court cases where I have issues with private entities that have discriminated against me and the authorities not doing anything to protect me, including evidence surrounding the court cases.
  9. The travel documents that were seized from me at the airport when I made my claim.
These documents all had to do with the five areas of concern that are present in all refugee claims:
  1. Identity - Who am I?
  2. Citizenship - Which countries am I a citizen of?
  3. Credibility - Can my claim be believed?
  4. State Protection - Is the state able and willing to protect me?
  5. Internal Flight Alternative - Is there a place I could move to in the country where I could get protection?
I believe that I proved the basis for my claim, which was as follows:

Do I, as a transgender woman, suffer persecution that the United States government is unwilling and/or unable to protect me from?

And I think I did a pretty darn good job at my hearing leaning the meter towards "yes". My expanded Basis of Claim, including amendments, included citations to Canadian case law and IRB, references to the evidence provided to the IRB, and references to the Refugee treaty and reports published by the UN Rapporteur on Torture. We'll learn if I was successful in the coming weeks and months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It depends on what you're claiming. Here's a list of the categories of evidence that I provided.
  1. A flash drive I received from the District Attorney's office complete with body cam footage, PDF copies of the police reports, and a bunch of other things.
  2. Correspondence with the district attorneys office, including a Motion to Dismiss the charges against my abuser filed by the District Attorney's office, along with an order from the judge granting said order.
  3. Transcripts from subsequent 911 calls.
  4. Subsequent attempts to get protection from the police and correspondence confirming their refusal to protect.
  5. Copies of the US Transgender Survey and the state level reports documenting the institutional bigotry against transgender people.
  6. A letter from the Social Security Administration confirming that they refuse to accept the fact that I am a victim of Harassment, Abuse, and Life Endangerment, thus they refuse to protect me.
  7. A bunch of other country conditions evidence.
  8. Copies of court cases where I have issues with private entities that have discriminated against me and the authorities not doing anything to protect me, including evidence surrounding the court cases.
  9. The travel documents that were seized from me at the airport when I made my claim.
These documents all had to do with the five areas of concern that are present in all refugee claims:
  1. Identity - Who am I?
  2. Citizenship - Which countries am I a citizen of?
  3. Credibility - Can my claim be believed?
  4. State Protection - Is the state able and willing to protect me?
  5. Internal Flight Alternative - Is there a place I could move to in the country where I could get protection?
I believe that I proved the basis for my claim, which was as follows:

Do I, as a transgender woman, suffer persecution that the United States government is unwilling and/or unable to protect me from?

And I think I did a pretty darn good job at my hearing leaning the meter towards "yes". My expanded Basis of Claim, including amendments, included citations to Canadian case law and IRB, references to the evidence provided to the IRB, and references to the Refugee treaty and reports published by the UN Rapporteur on Torture. We'll learn if I was successful in the coming weeks and months.
Assume you have already consulted a lawyer but getting asylum if you are a US citizen is extremely rare. It is sad to say but there is discrimination against LGBTQ+ individuals as well in Canada. Have you shown that you have relocated throughout the US to seek safety because that will be the primary argument against your case.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello there everyone,

I am writing to know if any of you can suggest me what kind of evidences can I submit in regards to substantiate my claim? What kind of documentary evidences can I submit aside from national document packages? Can you give any examples? Thanks in advance.
Really depends on your reason for asylum. If you are fleeing war in a country it is much easier to collect general proof. If you are part of a persecuted group you need to prove that you are part of the group and proof of how your life is at risk and how you have sought out safety. Copies of threats. police records if you have reported threats, property damage, etc., hospital records and pictures if you have been assaulted, proof that you have relocated within your country to seek safety, etc.