+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to gain access to application after cancelling representative?

fmomen01

Sep 5, 2018
Hello all,

I recently received my COPR and my lawyer quit her job so she wants to close my case. The problem is the application (and portal) is connected to her previous work email address and password.

I opened a new GCKey account and am trying to link the application to utter failure. Later I read that I cannot link an application to an account if it is already linked to the account of a paid representative.

I am a bit worried about cancelling my representative before ensuring direct access to my application and portal....so in this case what should I do? I really don't want to rock the boat before landing and receiving my PR card and she is kind of insisting.....

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
Hello all,

I recently received my COPR and my lawyer quit her job so she wants to close my case. The problem is the application (and portal) is connected to her previous work email address and password.

I opened a new GCKey account and am trying to link the application to utter failure. Later I read that I cannot link an application to an account if it is already linked to the account of a paid representative.

I am a bit worried about cancelling my representative before ensuring direct access to my application and portal....so in this case what should I do? I really don't want to rock the boat before landing and receiving my PR card and she is kind of insisting.....
Have you sent your passport for stamping ?? If answer is yes they ask your representative to change the email address in GCkey account to your email address and to set a new password and new security questions and to give you the info. That will essentially give you complete access to your profile.
Secondly, I don't think there is any need to cancel your representative at this late stage Once you get Visa stamped it wouldn't matter. You can just request her to stay as your representative atleast untill then.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Reactions: fmomen01

fmomen01

Sep 5, 2018
Have you sent your passport for stamping ?? If answer is yes they ask your representative to change the email address in GCkey account to your email address and to set a new password and new security questions and to give you the info. That will essentially give you complete access to your profile.
Secondly, I don't think there is any need to cancel your representative at this late stage Once you get Visa stamped it wouldn't matter. You can just request her to stay as your representative atleast untill then.

Hope this helps
Hi @pkhare23,

Thanks for the advice! Super helpful!

I already have my stamped passport but I wanted to link my account/application to my landing and also connect it to my PR card application as I heard there is a PR card tracker if you link it. And essentially I think for things like applying for citizenship in the long run I'd like to have direct access to my account/application. Less of a nightmare down the road both for the IRCC and for me that multiple applications don't accidentally get logged I am assuming?

Essentially then, what you are saying is only my lawyer can make the "hand over" of the application then?

I have raised a webform regarding the issue just in case. My lawyer....isn't the most experienced I think and because of a very basic error on her part last time, my whole application got booted out the first time so having her be in charge of changing control of the application kind of scares me as she might make a mistake that ends up being difficult to rectify.

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
Hi @pkhare23,

Thanks for the advice! Super helpful!

I already have my stamped passport but I wanted to link my account/application to my landing and also connect it to my PR card application as I heard there is a PR card tracker if you link it. And essentially I think for things like applying for citizenship in the long run I'd like to have direct access to my account/application. Less of a nightmare down the road both for the IRCC and for me that multiple applications don't accidentally get logged I am assuming?

Essentially then, what you are saying is only my lawyer can make the "hand over" of the application then?

I have raised a webform regarding the issue just in case. My lawyer....isn't the most experienced I think and because of a very basic error on her part last time, my whole application got booted out the first time so having her be in charge of changing control of the application kind of scares me as she might make a mistake that ends up being difficult to rectify.
Great you have your COPR and passport then ask your lawyer to hand over the application to you. Once you have the info you can change it so that only you will be able to access it.

Cheer !!!