+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to find good alternatives while waiting for OHIP eligibility

Qutrit

Star Member
Nov 14, 2013
Hello forum!

First of all apologies if this specific question was already answered. I am manifestly bad at searching on this forum effectively.

A friend of mine is switching from a student permit to a work permit after graduation and without leaving Canada, and she won't be eligible for OHIP until December. She's looking for an alternative (I guess private insurance) for the time in between.

Can anyone give me some recommendations as to where and how to shop for something like that? what would be the expected expense?

Thank you so much in advance!! :)

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hello forum!

First of all apologies if this specific question was already answered. I am manifestly bad at searching on this forum effectively.

A friend of mine is switching from a student permit to a work permit after graduation and without leaving Canada, and she won't be eligible for OHIP until December. She's looking for an alternative (I guess private insurance) for the time in between.

Can anyone give me some recommendations as to where and how to shop for something like that? what would be the expected expense?

Thank you so much in advance!! :)
Some suggestions here:

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medical_Insurance-Canada#Before_Medicare_starts

We paid about $650 each for such cover for ON with a high voluntary deductible as we only really wanted it to cover unexpected serious accidents / acute health issues and not routine day to day stuff. Of course such insurance is NOT mandatory (but we thought it was a good idea!).