+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how to find a starting job in Canada ? and what kind of??

mohit_sharma123

Nov 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21 oct 2009
Doc's Request.
15 dec 2009
File Transfer...
1 march 2010
Med's Request
25 march 2010
Med's Done....
16 april 2010
Passport Req..
25 march 2010
VISA ISSUED...
24/05/2010
hi to all frds as we all are going to canada
and i wish we all shud fulfill our dreams in new land
as most of us have to give exam in Canada to get ourself registered as per their standards !!
what kind of jobs are easily available in canada and how much can we earn ? $??? per/ hr ... what are the rents and what is the cost of living per month ?
how much money will be sufficient for 2 adults and 1 baby 3year old .. per month ?
can we get jobs in shifts systems as we cannot leave our child home alone .
What kind of jobs are their? which can be taken in shifts (night or day )
what is the pay scale ?? how much is the TAX ???
can we all share on this topic
seniors those who are their ...they must have faced same problem can they share with us?
mohit

velbypaul

Feb 5, 2010
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-07-2009
AOR Received.
17-08-2009
File Transfer...
09-09-2009
Med's Request
26-11-2009
Med's Done....
22-12-2009
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
March 30, 2010 but Decision Made on April 5, 2010
LANDED..........
May 2010
hi mohit. Seems like our both scenarios are almost alike. Am also interested to know about the things you mentioned. Ppl who have already landed, plz do share the experience and thoughts on this matter.

mpapdp.1984

Oct 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
27-10-2009
Med's Request
16-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-04-2010 (Reached Ottawa May 4 2010)
Interview........
waived
Guys,

The questions you ask are very relative. Rent depends on the city/town you decide to move to and what kind of place you decide to rent. For example rent for a one bedroom apartment can be as high as $ 900-1200 in cities like Toronto or Vancouver. But then again, if you decide to rent a basement they can be cheaper.

How much money is sufficient for a couple and a 3 year old kid depends on your lifestyle. Food is generally cheaper if you eat at home. Your main expenses will be:

Rent - Anywhere from 800-1200
Food - Anywhere from 200-400
Utilities (Trash, electricity, telephone bills, internet, cable etc) around 100
Transportation- around 100 (depending on how far you travel for your job). If you own a car, you got to pay for gas(around 50-75 a month), insurance (around 150 a month) and routine maintenance (oil change etc, once in 3 months)

Getting a job is the trickiest part. You might have to start doing the lower end jobs (working in a restaurant, being a salesman, labeling envelopes etc. I know educated people with degrees in engineering, accounting and other professions who have taken up jobs as barbers, or heavy industries, drivers, security guards etc).
Most people who come from India have pathetic English speaking skills (no offence here as I'm Indian too and faced the same problem) and people do not understand what they are trying to say. So my suggestion is take a crash course in improving English skills; it will increase your chances of getting a job and will improve your confidence also.
Keep your eyes and ears open for jobs in your field; a lot of times jobs are not advertised and go by word of mouth; so have good networking (My brother whom I helped immigrated 7 years ago, had a degree in mechanical engineering with seven years work experience in India. It took him a year of doing jobs like stapling and sealing envelopes in the post office before he landed up a job in his profession and now makes more than 100K a year).

Bottom line is getting a job in your profession takes just more than education and experience in Canada. It needs you to be SMART and be very vigilant for any openings.

I will suggest new immigrants move to Canada in the summer when it is easier to get around without a car (using local transportation) and getting acclimatized faster to the new environment, society and way of life.

Others can add their experiences and comments.

Good luck

manek

Mar 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Everything above said is correct. Utility bills can go upto 200$ per month. on other hand basements of 1 or 2 bedroom at 600-700$ per month are available in Toronto.

Qorax has started many threads on initial life in Canada. You will find most information in that.

mohit_sharma123

Nov 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21 oct 2009
Doc's Request.
15 dec 2009
File Transfer...
1 march 2010
Med's Request
25 march 2010
Med's Done....
16 april 2010
Passport Req..
25 march 2010
VISA ISSUED...
24/05/2010
thanks for the information
we all know that educated people feel bad when they have to do odd jobs ,
I know some people saying !!!!(after 1 or 2 years life will be fine if you work hard) .
plz !
mohit

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
I can advise that the best way to find a job is to first network, second, get yr qualifications assessed so that it reflects the same standard as in canada, or one could enrol in a community college, or school or uni and get some form of certification or diploma or degree and at the same time network from there and then yr job prospects will increase with the network and the qualification that u have obtained in canada, this would then increase yr chances of getting hired and finding jobs.

Its quite sad that its a fact that finding jobs in a foreign land is not easy, especially for most of us whom have our comfort zone of stable, high income jobs to a land where we have downgrade to other de-meaning jobs or jobs that we do not like or want, or worst, unemployed! But in order for us, to sustain our peace of mind and have a better future in a foreign land. We would have to equip ourselves with the language skills, such as proper english, canadian accent, technical skills, in whatever that is needed in the canadian economy and also the paper qualification that employers would like to see.

As such, i wish all of us good luck and also have patience and stay focus on what u need to do and execute yr plan according to the plan u have established!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
mohit_sharma123 said:
thanks for the information
we all know that educated people feel bad when they have to do odd jobs ,
I know some people saying !!!!(after 1 or 2 years life will be fine if you work hard) .
plz !
mohit
Hi,

What Mpapdp said perfectly makes sense. I second that.

Besides, migrating to any country [even another city] w/out a job at hand is tough. No one would know u & no one would know what u r worth. Thus, selling yourself is a hard call... but not impossible.

Yes, the initial months would be pretty demanding. Not just the job aspect -there'd be many other things to take care of. And remember, no job is 'de-meaning' in Canada. Every newcomer has gone thru the same process -& we understand/relate to each other's situation perfectly well.

Moreover, Canada is a very satisfying place to reside. Most Canadians r quite helpful. U'll get assistance from nearly everywhere. The local community centres have all the info towards your settlement -including job search assistance. It should be your 1st call upon landing.

There u'll also have access to ESL courses. Make an effort to join them to enhance your English prowess -as many advised before. U should do that as part of standard routine procedure of landing & settlement... like u'd do to enhance your quals, its assessment, getting certifications etc.

I'd say give it 1yr of hardship & the success would follow. 2yrs hence, most likely u'll be in your core profession -if u had taken all the correct steps -even if u r in a 'regulated' profession.

BTW: Starting might not be 'rosy', but a yr later it sure would start to be 'pinkish'....

All the best !
Qorax

RPN

Star Member
Feb 13, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
June 2010
Thanks Qorax. You really boost up our confident.

mohit_sharma123

Nov 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21 oct 2009
Doc's Request.
15 dec 2009
File Transfer...
1 march 2010
Med's Request
25 march 2010
Med's Done....
16 april 2010
Passport Req..
25 march 2010
VISA ISSUED...
24/05/2010
thanx
u all are very helpful
guys i wish that we all get well in the new land
i have started my credentialing and by the time i reach canada it will be almost completed . i have sent the fee to Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy. As they finish their work i will be able to give exam their and hope to pass it and then life can get little easier ,... Has any one else doing the same ??
plz share
mohit

mpapdp.1984

Oct 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-11-2008
AOR Received.
18-03-2009
File Transfer...
27-10-2009
Med's Request
16-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-04-2010 (Reached Ottawa May 4 2010)
Interview........
waived
mohit_sharma123 said:
thanx
u all are very helpful
guys i wish that we all get well in the new land
i have started my credentialing and by the time i reach canada it will be almost completed . i have sent the fee to Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy. As they finish their work i will be able to give exam their and hope to pass it and then life can get little easier ,... Has any one else doing the same ??
plz share
mohit
Is your degree recognized in Canada? My sis-in law is a dentist and her Indian degree was not recognized. So she had to given an entrance exam for University of Toronto and then do an advanced placement program before she could start practicing.

mohit_sharma123

Nov 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21 oct 2009
Doc's Request.
15 dec 2009
File Transfer...
1 march 2010
Med's Request
25 march 2010
Med's Done....
16 april 2010
Passport Req..
25 march 2010
VISA ISSUED...
24/05/2010
thamx mpapdp1984
i am also doing the same thing i will also give an exam then i can work in my field
plz any one who can tell me abut jobs which are done in shifts (day,night)
plz share
mohit