+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to extend open work permit?

nk1521

Jun 14, 2018
Hi,

My name is Sunny, I have come to Canada as a student in Sept 2014 and pursued 1 year Post Graduation course and then I have applied for the work permit and successfully got it approved from Nov 2015 to Nov 2018. I started working full-time from Oct 2016 and still working in the same job. Recently, when I was trying to submit the application for express entry pool and got to know even though I am eligible to apply but due to my age(32years), my marital status(single) and a 1-year degree in Canada, I cannot enter the pool as I am not getting the required points. For me the only options left to increase score is Employer sponsorship or IELTS, I have discussed with my employer and they have confirmed that they will not be able to sponsor at this time but will let me work with them as long as I am willing to work with them. So the only option I am left with is IELTS, which I have tried already 3 times but due to bad luck could not achieve the required points to enter the pool, I am surely going to give one more attempt. Due to one year degree and no LMI, I am not eligible for PNP as well. At this point as I have only 5months work permit in hand I am not looking PR, Citizenship or anything else, I just want to extend my Open-Work Permit. I checked on CIC but did not find any option to extend Open-Work Permit. I don't know if it adds any weight to my profile but the 2017-18 year I paid almost tax around 50K. Please let know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
A PGWP cannot be extended unfortunately unless was issued short in first place due to passport expiry which seems not to be the case with your permit. Amount of tax you paid will not make any difference unfortunately to any application.

nk1521

Jun 14, 2018
A PGWP cannot be extended unfortunately unless was issued short in first place due to passport expiry which seems not to be the case with your permit. Amount of tax you paid will not make any difference unfortunately to any application.
So, there is no other option apart from going back?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So, there is no other option apart from going back?
Agreed it's not possible to extend your PGWP.

However there are always options. Your current employer may not be willing to go through the LMIA process - however you can certainly try finding another employer who may be willing to do this.

You could also consider returning home to gain more work experience or education there and then hopefully qualifying to apply for PR from outside of Canada.

Probably the best option right now is to put as much focus as you can around preparing for IELTS and achieving as high a score as you can.

Good luck.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From what you have stated something is wrong with your calculation.
1. you are fairly young (very small points loss because of the age)
2. You had master in Canada (judging from your 3 years PGWP). But even with bachelor, you can cash transferability points easier
3. You have by now at least 1 year of work experience in Canada (and most likely it will be a 0, A or B type).
4. You seem to have decent English (at least written English that is).

So where is the problem to get easily 460+ points with all that stated above and get your ITA invitation?