+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to exchange a U.S. driver license to an Ontario driver license

Surfing

Sep 1, 2014
Hi all,

I just find in below link which mentioned that U.S states Driver License is ok for Ontario DL exchange.

https://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/exchange-foreign-drivers-licence

Driver license issued by any states of U.S should be eligible for the DL exchange, rt?

If so, how to do it? Just walk in any Service Ontario Center? Any other documents except the U.S states driver license?

Appreciate your time!

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
yes, any state in the US can be transferred.

in order to prove you have driving experience, you will want to get your driving history from the state you have your license in. otherwise, you won't get credit for having a license for longer than a year, and they will force you to get a starter's license, which is NOT what you want to happen because it is a restricted license from what i understand.

i imagine you will also need proof of residence in your province. obviously every province is different on their requirements, so you will need to go to the specific website that tells you how to get a license.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Surfing said:
Hi all,

I just find in below link which mentioned that U.S states Driver License is ok for Ontario DL exchange.

https://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/exchange-foreign-drivers-licence

Driver license issued by any states of U.S should be eligible for the DL exchange, rt?

If so, how to do it? Just walk in any Service Ontario Center? Any other documents except the U.S states driver license?

Appreciate your time!
The link you want is -
http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing/Pages/Exchanging-a-Reciprocal-Licence.aspx

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Is there some time limit for when you can exchange it? Even though I moved to Canada 15 years ago, I still have my New York driver's license (still valid). I don't drive here (I don't own a car) so I never bothered to exchange it. But my license is expiring again and I may simply try to get an Ontario license instead or renewing my NYS one again.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
keesio said:
Is there some time limit for when you can exchange it? Even though I moved to Canada 15 years ago, I still have my New York driver's license (still valid). I don't drive here (I don't own a car) so I never bothered to exchange it. But my license is expiring again and I may simply try to get an Ontario license instead or renewing my NYS one again.
To be honest, I don't know if there is a maximum window of opportunity for the exchange. My instinct tells me, "no" but the nice people at the centre may have other ideas. You should probably apply to NY for the required documents and give it a go. Some countries get a bit "concerned" about a non-resident having a driving licence registered to an address that they no longer live at.

chipolopolo

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
Doc's Request.
16-10-2014
AOR Received.
NONE
File Transfer...
27-07-2014
Med's Done....
07-07-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2014
LANDED..........
30-11-2014
i just moved to ontario from the usa 2 weeks and 4 days ago. I exchanged my Pensylvannia licence 2 days after i arrived, and received my 5 year G class ontario licence in the mail yesterday. You will need to find a driving test and examination center in order to do this. (service ontario will not exchange your licence).All i needed to take was my valid PA drivers licence, and paid CAD $80. Your usa driving history must be atleast over 2 years for you to get a full "G" licence. I had also ordered a driving history through AAA, which is official proof of your driving record. Although if your current NYC licence was issued over 2 years ago that itself will be proof of you driving over 2 years. In my case they didnt even bother to check my history because my usa licence was issued in april 2012. The whole process is straight forward and quick. Only thing that may delay you is if they cant access your NYC driving history online.(advisable to order one yourself incase that happens).

Also ontario gives you 60 days to drive with your USA licence, after which you are required to obtain an ontario one.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Last year I was actually able to get my driving record online from dmv.ny.gov for a small sum ($7) - they gave me a PDF copy to download and mailed a hard copy to my NY address (relatives). So looks like getting my driving record online is not an issue. My current DL was issued in 2008.

The reason why I still am reluctant to change it over is because I actually need to drive in the US, where as I don't drive at all here. When I visit family in the US, I need to drive there (and I'm still listed as a driver on the insurance for one of the cars). I figure it makes more sense to keep my US license instead of swapping for a Canadian one

Surfing

Sep 1, 2014
zardoz said:
The link you want is -
Thanks Zardoc for you providing the link. It's very helpful.

But I don't understand below specifications:
Current, valid full class drivers licence with documentation to satisfy all three (3) identification requirements2

What does requirements2 mean here?

Do you have any idea on this? Need 2 identification cards or something like that?

Surfing

Sep 1, 2014
chipolopolo said:
i just moved to ontario from the usa 2 weeks and 4 days ago. I exchanged my Pensylvannia licence 2 days after i arrived, and received my 5 year G class ontario licence in the mail yesterday. You will need to find a driving test and examination center in order to do this. (service ontario will not exchange your licence).All i needed to take was my valid PA drivers licence, and paid CAD $80. Your usa driving history must be atleast over 2 years for you to get a full "G" licence. I had also ordered a driving history through AAA, which is official proof of your driving record. Although if your current NYC licence was issued over 2 years ago that itself will be proof of you driving over 2 years. In my case they didnt even bother to check my history because my usa licence was issued in april 2012. The whole process is straight forward and quick. Only thing that may delay you is if they cant access your NYC driving history online.(advisable to order one yourself incase that happens).

Also ontario gives you 60 days to drive with your USA licence, after which you are required to obtain an ontario one.
Thanks chipolopolo for sharing your experience.
I got some questions to you.

1. Did you just provide you PA driver license? Any other identification documents?
I read the following link, in which it mentioned at least need to provide Passport, PR card or some other type of ID documents.

2. What does your AAA driving history look like? Is start date and end date there?

chipolopolo

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
Doc's Request.
16-10-2014
AOR Received.
NONE
File Transfer...
27-07-2014
Med's Done....
07-07-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2014
LANDED..........
30-11-2014
Surfing said:
Thanks chipolopolo for sharing your experience.
I got some questions to you.

1. Did you just provide you PA driver license? Any other identification documents?
I read the following link, in which it mentioned at least need to provide Passport, PR card or some other type of ID documents.

2. What does your AAA driving history look like? Is start date and end date there?
1. Together with my PA licence, i had my Certificate of permanent residency, and passport. They used these as ID. In your case am sure you have a PR card, passport, health card, and NYC licence that you can use as ID.

2.My AAA driving history is a number of pages printed on special paper with a PA DMV Logo. You can either order 3 year or 10 year history. In my case i only lived in USA for about 3 and a half years so i ordered 3 year history. IT shows date issued and expiry date. It also has a section that shows accidents, violations, and physical/disabilities reported(this is section ontario will be most interested in). NYC might be different, but in PA you can only order it by mail, or at AAA. The online version is not accepted by Ontario(they need original).

Surfing

Sep 1, 2014
chipolopolo said:
1. Together with my PA licence, i had my Certificate of permanent residency, and passport. They used these as ID. In your case am sure you have a PR card, passport, health card, and NYC licence that you can use as ID.

2.My AAA driving history is a number of pages printed on special paper with a PA DMV Logo. You can either order 3 year or 10 year history. In my case i only lived in USA for about 3 and a half years so i ordered 3 year history. IT shows date issued and expiry date. It also has a section that shows accidents, violations, and physical/disabilities reported(this is section ontario will be most interested in). NYC might be different, but in PA you can only order it by mail, or at AAA. The online version is not accepted by Ontario(they need original).
Thanks chipolopolo for your detailed information.

Surfing

Sep 1, 2014
zardoz said:
The link you want is -
Thanks for zardoz's message, in above link, it mentioned an IRE search is mandatory to all applicants. However, IRE search looks like for driving records in Cannada. I am wondering that if people with U.S driving license is able to obtain the IRE records.

chipolopolo

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
Doc's Request.
16-10-2014
AOR Received.
NONE
File Transfer...
27-07-2014
Med's Done....
07-07-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2014
LANDED..........
30-11-2014
Surfing said:
Thanks for zardoz's message, in above link, it mentioned an IRE search is mandatory to all applicants. However, IRE search looks like for driving records in Cannada. I am wondering that if people with U.S driving license is able to obtain the IRE records.
An IRE search is available for all states except Alabama Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Maine, Minnesota, North Dakota, New Jersey, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont and Washington...So since you are from NYC you will be fine. Am from PA and my IRE record showed up.

Surfing

Sep 1, 2014
chipolopolo said:
An IRE search is available for all states except Alabama Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Maine, Minnesota, North Dakota, New Jersey, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont and Washington...So since you are from NYC you will be fine. Am from PA and my IRE record showed up.
Is the IRE record only open for organization? Can individual apply it in advance and submit it in exchange license application?

If my IRE record can show up, then I guess I don't need to provide any other supporting documents such as AAA driving records. Is that right?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
chipolopolo said:
2.My AAA driving history is a number of pages printed on special paper with a PA DMV Logo.
when you say AAA, you mean the automobile club, correct? were you able to obtain a record from AAA because you were a member, or is this something they will do for anyone?
i do have a membership and am running into an issue getting a record from MA since i transferred my license to another state, and am not a resident of MA anymore. will AAA be able to help me get a full report from all states i've lived in?