+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to establish enough ties to prove the intent to return to Canada after spouse becomes PR?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I read it more in the context of an answer to the previous suggestion:

"Provide a written and signed statement from each of you about your intent and maybe posts/emails/texts to friends and family about moving."

To this I would indeed respond, no offense, that there is no point in having that as your plan to show Intent. Especially with the recent history of people not travelling (you can see multiple current topics on people needed extension after extension) the requirements are much stronger than just a letter and maybe some emails/texts.

With this big picture in mind, no point.

The letter would be kinda necessary though as part of the package sent. Your letter should tie to your specific plan, i.e. quote/reference the other documents you attach:

We plan to move to this city, see attached job search (2a) and appartment search (2b), school research (2c).... so on and so forth for each step of your plan. A letter copy pasted from a website as to your intent (I "Anonymous" Intend to move to Canada as soon as I receive PR. Signed, "Anonymous")is pretty pointless in my opinion, a well crafted letter that highlights and details your actual, specific and personal situation and plan would however make for a strong case provided it has all the necessary supporting documentation.
I thought the post was in reference to a letter from employer about employment in Canadian office. If I misunderstood, that's my mistake and I apologize.

I agree a letter just stating I plan to return is not much use. Or perhaps can be included but without supporting evidence is not much use.

Reactions: kkc1484

kkc1484

May 11, 2021
I don't agree on this point - at least in the stronger form as stated here (that there is "no point" in including). A Letter of Intent, or communication of terms, or other similar, from a reputable company with a Canadian subsidiary/affiliate on company letterhead and signed by an appropriate Manager or HR department, is pretty good evidence of intent. It makes sense to include and will certainly not hurt, and more likely will help.

If the point was to underline that just having such a letter is not enough, fine - I do agree with that and your other suggestions here.

Note that such a letter should have at least some meaningful content: we have discussed a position in XX, prepared to consider an appointment, at least some reference to actual job level and compensation range even if not final (or that refers to in acc with local compensations packages), etc. A letter that just says "Bob we discussed your move to Toronto prepared to consider let's talk cheers Ted" is not serious. It would be perfectly normal for such a letter to say "subject to finalization and company approvals" and the like. A serious letter like this would be pretty strong evidence of intent - not proof, but intent.

"Enforceability" is beside the point - the requirements from IRCC are precisely to show intent, and the intent of the sponsor to return, not 'enforceability.' A lot, perhaps the vast majority, of preliminary job offers and arrangements (even with non-current employees ie regular job hunts) are not 'enforceable' except under a very narrow range of conditions - and almost all such letters I've seen will explicitly deny that it is enforceable (not a final offer, subject to such-and-such happening, etc) or only in very narrow senses.

And just as importantly - having such a letter also shows intent, and intent serious enough to have notified existing employer of intention to leave current place of employment, physically. It's not as strong as actually resigning of course. (Sure, an actual employment contract would be better but other evidence is still evidence of intent)
Thanks armoured for a very detailed explanation :). This will help greatly in our discussions with her company.

kkc1484

May 11, 2021
I read it more in the context of an answer to the previous suggestion:

"Provide a written and signed statement from each of you about your intent and maybe posts/emails/texts to friends and family about moving."

To this I would indeed respond, no offense, that there is no point in having that as your plan to show Intent. Especially with the recent history of people not travelling (you can see multiple current topics on people needed extension after extension) the requirements are much stronger than just a letter and maybe some emails/texts.

With this big picture in mind, no point.

The letter would be kinda necessary though as part of the package sent. Your letter should tie to your specific plan, i.e. quote/reference the other documents you attach:

We plan to move to this city, see attached job search (2a) and appartment search (2b), school research (2c).... so on and so forth for each step of your plan. A letter copy pasted from a website as to your intent (I "Anonymous" Intend to move to Canada as soon as I receive PR. Signed, "Anonymous")is pretty pointless in my opinion, a well crafted letter that highlights and details your actual, specific and personal situation and plan would however make for a strong case provided it has all the necessary supporting documentation.
Thanks again for adding more details to armoured's response :) . This is a very useful discussion.

kkc1484

May 11, 2021
I thought the post was in reference to a letter from employer about employment in Canadian office. If I misunderstood, that's my mistake and I apologize.

I agree a letter just stating I plan to return is not much use. Or perhaps can be included but without supporting evidence is not much use.
I think you are correct in that there was a response from canuck78 on getting a letter from the company, which we are trying. Regardless, we will supplement the application with other information as pointed out by you, Naheulbeuck, and others. Thanks :).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks armoured for a very detailed explanation :). This will help greatly in our discussions with her company.
Yes, I don't know if I misunderstood or not; either way, that's fine, just provide what you can.

Personally I think a letter of some kind as I described above is actually quite strong evidence of intent to return. Not enough on its own, but still a good start.

kkc1484

May 11, 2021
Yes, I don't know if I misunderstood or not; either way, that's fine, just provide what you can.

Personally I think a letter of some kind as I described above is actually quite strong evidence of intent to return. Not enough on its own, but still a good start.
Thanks. :)