+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to do return envelope when sending passport to embassy in USA?

petrokov

Aug 23, 2018
Hello everyone.

My girlfriend applied for a TRV to visit me while I study in Canada. Today she got a message on her account requesting her passport. She's currently living in California, so the nearest Canadian embassy is in LA. Just in case it's relevant, her passport is issued by Mainland China.

Everything on the website seems (somewhat) clear except for how to do the return envelope for the passport. My first thought was to send the passport by FedEx and include a return envelope with the passport and other documents. However, on the Canada Visa Application Center website, it says in bold letters, "FedEx prepaid AWBs will NOT be accepted by the VAC". To make matters more confusing, the website also says, "You can choose to retrieve your passport in person or have your passport delivered to you at home. If you choose to have it delivered, you must include a pre-paid Air Waybill when you submit your passport to the VAC."
So my question is this. What kind of prepaid air waybill do they want? Do they just have a bias against FedEx as a company, or is there something wrong with a certain type of prepaid air waybill in general? Is UPS okay? Is USPS okay? Is DHL okay? I really don't know what they want.

Also, just to be sure, the fee for processing the passport goes to CSRA Consular Services Inc., right?

Any help would appreciated. Thank you.