+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to count days away from Ontario

MWB

Nov 21, 2023
I am a new Canadian resident, and I need to be in Ontario 153 of the first 183 days after moving here. I need advice on how to count the days away.

If I have a trip leaving Monday at 3pm, and returning Wednesday at 3pm, I can count the days away 3 different ways. Which is correct?
(1) Away Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday = 3 days away
(2) Away 48 hours = 2 days
(3) In Ontario part of Monday and part of Wednesday, away from Ontario Tuesday = 1 day away

I am eager not to break any rules, so the way of counting days becomes important.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a new Canadian resident, and I need to be in Ontario 153 of the first 183 days after moving here. I need advice on how to count the days away.

If I have a trip leaving Monday at 3pm, and returning Wednesday at 3pm, I can count the days away 3 different ways. Which is correct?
(1) Away Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday = 3 days away
(2) Away 48 hours = 2 days
(3) In Ontario part of Monday and part of Wednesday, away from Ontario Tuesday = 1 day away

I am eager not to break any rules, so the way of counting days becomes important.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Only away for 1 day

Reactions: Ponga

MWB

Nov 21, 2023
Does it matters? OP need to be in Ontario 153 of the first 183 days after moving here.
I used that as an example...a family member in the US is ill, and I want to maximize the time away without exceeding the limit.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I used that as an example...a family member in the US is ill, and I want to maximize the time away without exceeding the limit.
Only away for a day does not matter. As long as you are in Ontario 153 of the first 183 days after moving here, then you are good.