+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to check PR status ?

Tinaturner

Apr 30, 2015
Hello,

How can someone check if he/she is still a permanent resident without travelling to Canada to know whether he/she will be admitted at the border or applying for a travel document ?

Is there any online checking that tells someone if he/she is still a permanent resident ?

If we call a CIC agent would they tell us if we are still a permanent resident ?

how to know if the PR status has been revoked or something without applying to am embassy ?

Regards

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Tinaturner said:
Hello,

How can someone check if he/she is still a permanent resident without travelling to Canada to know whether he/she will be admitted at the border or applying for a travel document ?

Is there any online checking that tells someone if he/she is still a permanent resident ?

If we call a CIC agent would they tell us if we are still a permanent resident ?

how to know if the PR status has been revoked or something without applying to am embassy ?

Regards
You will have lost your PR status if :

1) You have not maintained the residency requirement (Currently, it is 4 out of 6 years)

The residency requirement for Permanent Residents is still 2 out of 5 years as indicated by Lammawitch. The 4 out of 6 years is the residency requirement for citizenship (This is because the extremely controversial C-24 bill became a law :( ).

2) If you have committed a serious crime in Canada (like murder/Rape etc).
4) If you have been ordered to leave Canada/You are on removal proceedings and the like.
3) If you have voluntarily renounced your PR status.

Please note that if your PR card expires, that DOES NOT MEAN that your PR status also expires. You must renew your PR card on time but if you somehow forget it and the card expires, you DO NOT lose your PR status.

BTW, when were you given the PR status? And what happened? If you could give more details, forumites would be able to help.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajkamalmohanram said:
You will have lost your PR status if :

1) You have not maintained the residency requirement (Currently, it is 4 out of 6 years)

Residency requirement for PR is STILL 2 years out of 5. 4/6 is for citizenship

2) If you have committed a serious crime in Canada (like murder/Rape etc).
4) If you have been ordered to leave Canada/You are on removal proceedings and the like.
3) If you have voluntarily renounced your PR status.

Please note that if your PR card expires, that DOES NOT MEAN that your PR status also expires. You must renew your PR card on time but if you somehow forget it and the card expires, you DO NOT lose your PR status.

+ 1 to this.

BTW, when were you given the PR status? And what happened? If you could give more details, forumites would be able to help.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you Lammawitch ; for correcting me and the +1. :) . I will update my post so that people who might read my post alone won't get misinformed.

Tinaturner

Apr 30, 2015
Hi ,

Thank you for your reply, i became a PR in 2010. Applied for pr renewal as pr expired in june 2015. PR application went to local office and they requested that i submit a PRTD within 180 days.

if i do not submit my PRTD within 180 days, i think the PR application would be abandoned, but i am not sure if i would also lose my PR status. So my question is HOW TO CHECK MY PR STATUS if it is still valid ?

Regards

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Tinaturner said:
Hi ,

Thank you for your reply, i became a PR in 2010. Applied for pr renewal as pr expired in june 2015. PR application went to local office and they requested that i submit a PRTD within 180 days.

if i do not submit my PRTD within 180 days, i think the PR application would be abandoned, but i am not sure if i would also lose my PR status. So my question is HOW TO CHECK MY PR STATUS if it is still valid ?

Regards
I am not an expert by any means BUT if you could send them the requested documents AND you have satisfied the residency requirements (physically present in Canada for 2 years in a 5 year period), then I think you should be fine. May I know why you are considering the scenario of losing your PR status for not sending the requested documentation?

Also, since this is a PR card renewal, they will most definitely check if you have satisfied your residency requirement. If you believe you have satisfied the requirement, just send them the documentation that they are requesting.

Please note that I am not sure what will happen if you do not respond to the Doc request by the authorities. But I strongly suggest that you take steps to send them what they need - ASAP and get the PR card renewed.

Hope this helps.

Could you please

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajkamalmohanram said:
Thank you Lammawitch ; for correcting me and the +1. :) . I will update my post so that people who might read my post alone won't get misinformed.
Another +1 for the correction, but... It's 4/6 (not 5) for citizenship ;) :p

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tinaturner said:
Hi ,

Regards
Between 2010, & June 2015 (or the date you applied to renew your PR card), how many days were you physically present (resident) in Canada? If the answer is less than 730, your status as a PR is in serious jeopardy, unless you were posted abroad by your Canadian employer, or you have a really REALLY, and I mean REALLY, good H&C reason for not meeting the RO, or you were removed from Canada by your parents as a minor (under 18).

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Lammawitch said:
Between 2010, & June 2015 (or the date you applied to renew your PR card), how many days were you physically present (resident) in Canada? If the answer is less than 730, your status as a PR is in serious jeopardy, unless you were posted abroad by your Canadian employer, or you have a really REALLY, and I mean REALLY, good H&C reason for not meeting the RO, or you were removed from Canada by your parents as a minor (under 18).
OR if you were abroad with your spouse who is a Canadian citizen. (please correct me if I'm wrong Lammawitch)

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajkamalmohanram said:
OR if you were abroad with your spouse who is a Canadian citizen. (please correct me if I'm wrong Lammawitch)
You are absolutely RIGHT!!! Oops on me for typing too fast this time :)!!

Tinaturner

Apr 30, 2015
Hello and thank you for you replies.

I really appreciate the fact that you are trying to help me, however I already know all the information you shared so far.

However I still did not get an answer to my question : how to check if I lost my pr status or not after my pr card application was abandoned ?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Regards

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no way to check as such, but your PR status would not be removed without you being notified.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp
"Losing your permanent resident status
Losing your permanent resident status does not happen automatically. You cannot lose your permanent resident status simply by living outside of Canada long enough that you don’t meet the residency requirement. Unless you have gone through an official process, you have not lost or given up your permanent resident status, even though you may not be eligible to return to Canada as a permanent resident.

You may lose your permanent resident status if:

An adjudicator determines that you are no longer a permanent resident following an inquiry
A visa officer determines you do not meet the required residency when you apply for a permanent resident travel document or temporary resident travel document.
You may lose your permanent resident status in one of the ways described above if:

you do not live in Canada for two out of five years;
you are convicted of a serious crime and told to leave Canada; or
you become a Canadian citizen.
You do not lose your permanent resident status if your PR card expires."

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Tinaturner said:
However I still did not get an answer to my question : how to check if I lost my pr status or not after my pr card application was abandoned ?
There is no way to check.

sara_i

Jun 29, 2017
Dear Friends,

I got my conditional permanent residence in Canada a year ago but I came back to my country and divorced after a few month. I perceived that my PR is not valid anymore because it was conditional and my ex-husband had sponsored me. But I found out recently that the condition of the PR is canceled based on the new policy after April 18, 2017 (conditional permanent residence no longer applies to new and existing applicants for permanent residence). I want to check the status of my PR if it is possible that make sure it is still valid or not. I don't know how can I check urgently. I am out of Canada now.
I am looking forward your reply.

Regards,