+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to change my SIN number ?

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
Hi,

I was on the phone with Equifax Canada for a problem regarding my account, and the customer representative asked for my SIN number. I gave it to him. My wife told me you should not give your SIN number to anyone, except to your employer.

Now, per precaution, I want to change my SIN number, I trusted Equifax.. I don't know what they can do with my SIN ? I am suspecting their customer representatives to work from India or another country.

Even the agent in serviceCanada warned me to keep it private, but I am astonished that a third party like Equifax can ask for such information.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi,

I was on the phone with Equifax Canada for a problem regarding my account, and the customer representative asked for my SIN number. I gave it to him. My wife told me you should not give your SIN number to anyone, except to your employer.

Now, per precaution, I want to change my SIN number, I trusted Equifax.. I don't know what they can do with my SIN ? I am suspecting their customer representatives to work from India or another country.

Even the agent in serviceCanada warned me to keep it private, but I am astonished that a third party like Equifax can ask for such information.
You can change your SIN number only if you can prove it was used fraudulently. Since that has not happened you won't be able to change SIN now.

Reactions: Idrissrafd

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
You can change your SIN number only if you can prove it was used fraudulently. Since that has not happened you won't be able to change SIN now.
Thank you. And what do you advice me ? Not to share my SIN with anyone except with my employer, am I right ?

Idrissrafd

Aug 12, 2020
Read this. It has all the advice you need with respect to SIN Protecting your Social Insurance Number - Canada.ca
Thank you. Some points are really disturbing, like these :

Who can ask for your SIN
The most common uses of your SIN are for:

• financial institutions from which you earn interest or income (for example, banks, credit unions, trust companies)

1. The best way to protect yourself if you are affected by a data breach:
  • Contact Canada’s major credit bureaus to monitor your file.
    • Equifax: 1-800-465-7166
    • TransUnion: 1-800-663-9980 (for residents of Quebec: 1-877-713-3393)

• why a foreign company [equifax or transition] is dealing with Canadians' private and sensitive info ? Canada doesn't have a national credit union/bureau or at least a Canadian credit bureau ? Equifax is an American company and TransUnion is also an American company. What's next ? A Chinese or Russian company.​