+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to carry cash? HELP

nssnick

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
Guys, I have $CAD 10,000 in my GIC. But I am not sure how long it will take there for my account to get activated. So, I ll carry $1000 along with me in Indian currency (Rs. 57k something). Now, I want to know how should I carry this money. Will that be fine to carry the amount in Indian currency and later convert in at any airport if I ll need any or I should get the Canadian dollars from my home country itself. (One agent told me that at the Canadian airport or where ever else, you ll get paid less because they won't provide you with fair conversion rates as they will know you have to get those converted to use it).

I have not travelled earlier, So I don't know anything. Also, I ll have a halt of 3 hours at Zurich airport on 22nd august, will I need any money while I travel or in the flight?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
nssnick said:
Guys, I have $CAD 10,000 in my GIC. But I am not sure how long it will take there for my account to get activated. So, I ll carry $1000 along with me in Indian currency (Rs. 57k something). Now, I want to know how should I carry this money. Will that be fine to carry the amount in Indian currency and later convert in at any airport if I ll need any or I should get the Canadian dollars from my home country itself. (One agent told me that at the Canadian airport or where ever else, you ll get paid less because they won't provide you with fair conversion rates as they will know you have to get those converted to use it).

I have not travelled earlier, So I don't know anything. Also, I ll have a halt of 3 hours at Zurich airport on 22nd august, will I need any money while I travel or in the flight?
best way is to get CAD as u can shop around for the best conversion rate and during travel u can use it. like for food or drinks at zurich. also u should carry change like say $100 in some $20 bills, $10 bills, $5 bills, $1bill and some quarters atleast $2 worth of quarters so if u need u can use it at airport for trolleys or pay phones to call relatives/someone etc. at airport u wont get a good conversion rate.

nssnick

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
mead said:
best way is to get CAD as u can shop around for the best conversion rate and during travel u can use it. like for food or drinks at zurich. also u should carry change like say $100 in some $20 bills, $10 bills, $5 bills, $1bill and some quarters atleast $2 worth of quarters so if u need u can use it at airport for trolleys or pay phones to call relatives/someone etc. at airport u wont get a good conversion rate.
That is strange that I won't get a good conversion rate on the airports :eek: I thought I ll get better rates than what I ll be provided here...Okay I ll carry CAD's. We have to pay for trolleys too :eek: :eek: :eek:

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
nssnick said:
That is strange that I won't get a good conversion rate on the airports :eek: I thought I ll get better rates than what I ll be provided here...Okay I ll carry CAD's. We have to pay for trolleys too :eek: :eek: :eek:
trolleys cost $2-$5 depending on airport. check airport rates on indian airport too see if it is better ....that way u can get the best conversion rate. my experience banks r better at conversion rates but go around compare different rates.

Nahush

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Mumbai
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Ages ago
VISA ISSUED...
19-07-2013
Hey, what do you think about getting it converted at Thomas Cook? They also provide travel card and Travellers check. What do you think of that? I am thinking of getting a travel card.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Nahush said:
Hey, what do you think about getting it converted at Thomas Cook? They also provide travel card and Travellers check. What do you think of that? I am thinking of getting a travel card.
my experience thomas cook gives low rates. all nationalized banks have foreign exchange in india they can give u travelers cheques etc so go around find the best rate if thomas cook gives lowest rates then use them.

Nahush

Star Member
Mar 28, 2013
Mumbai
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
Ages ago
VISA ISSUED...
19-07-2013
mead said:
my experience thomas cook gives low rates. all nationalized banks have foreign exchange in india they can give u travelers cheques etc so go around find the best rate if thomas cook gives lowest rates then use them.
Cool!
Thnk you :D

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nssnick said:

As far as how the GIC works (when you land here), you can refer to the following thread;

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/how-long-does-it-take-for-the-gic-account-to-get-activated-once-we-reach-there-t159585.0.html

and about carrying CAD from India. Well, Mead is right about his experience at Thomas Cook. Now let me explain the reason. Getting it converted at any bank or Prominent agents such as Thomas Cook will fetch you less money - because of the charges they levy on coversion- coversion fee, forx conversion rate (their buying and selling always has huge difference) and on top of that, you need to pay taxes.

The best option to get good rate is to approach not so big agents. There are plenty of them around, don't know where you from, assuming you are from India and from metropolitan city, visit any market place you will find tom dick and harry selling CAD. They won't charge you any fee and rate they will give you will be good ( of course start with 100CAD, the trick is you ask them that you just need 100CAD how much will be the rate, they will give you a rate around 57 to 58 as of 08.08.2013, then you tell them what if I buy 1000 or 2000 CAD, you see, the rate will jump by 25 to 50 paisa per dollar which is not bad at all if you are taking 2k to 3k CAD).

Last place on this earth I will go for currency conversion is - AN AIRPORT.

Cheers!

nssnick

Star Member
Apr 22, 2013
sabby2612 said:
As far as how the GIC works (when you land here), you can refer to the following thread;

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/how-long-does-it-take-for-the-gic-account-to-get-activated-once-we-reach-there-t159585.0.html

and about carrying CAD from India. Well, Mead is right about his experience at Thomas Cook. Now let me explain the reason. Getting it converted at any bank or Prominent agents such as Thomas Cook will fetch you less money - because of the charges they levy on coversion- coversion fee, forx conversion rate (their buying and selling always has huge difference) and on top of that, you need to pay taxes.

The best option to get good rate is to approach not so big agents. There are plenty of them around, don't know where you from, assuming you are from India and from metropolitan city, visit any market place you will find tom dick and harry selling CAD. They won't charge you any fee and rate they will give you will be good ( of course start with 100CAD, the trick is you ask them that you just need 100CAD how much will be the rate, they will give you a rate around 57 to 58 as of 08.08.2013, then you tell them what if I buy 1000 or 2000 CAD, you see, the rate will jump by 25 to 50 paisa per dollar which is not bad at all if you are taking 2k to 3k CAD).

Last place on this earth I will go for currency conversion is - AN AIRPORT.

Cheers!
It will be hard to believe whether the currency tom, dick and harry will give will be real or not. It is a Canadian currency, obviously we are not expert to know the details. Also, it ll be hard to get back at those people. What about nationalized banks? SBI,PNB etc?

sandhuboy

Aug 26, 2012
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
CHANDIGARH
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2013
Doc's Request.
16-04-2013
Med's Request
Waived
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08/05/2013
LANDED..........
wahaguru manu v DATE pan da moka da..
can any body tell me where i can get coins or 1$ or cents. Plz reply asap.

vishal23489

Star Member
May 1, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@nssnick - one of my friend leaving there told me to carry some where around 500-700$ in travel card for axis bank...
private banks will give us good rate...

we also need some bills of small amounts for trolly at airport...

btw, which college and what course for you are going ?

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nssnick said:
It will be hard to believe whether the currency tom, dick and harry will give will be real or not. It is a Canadian currency, obviously we are not expert to know the details. Also, it ll be hard to get back at those people. What about nationalized banks? SBI,PNB etc?

Sir, when I said Tom, Dick and harry, i think you took it to literally. I meant not to top notch people such as Thomas Cook, but then agents who are in business for long. I am not talking about taking it from a hawker. And you can always ask them for a receipt but of course that will then include taxes which will be paid out of your pocket.

sandhuboy

Aug 26, 2012
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
CHANDIGARH
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2013
Doc's Request.
16-04-2013
Med's Request
Waived
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08/05/2013
LANDED..........
wahaguru manu v DATE pan da moka da..
plz reply to my question above plz?
And what is " bill "?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
sandhuboy said:
plz reply to my question above plz?
And what is " bill "?
bill is a note like a 10 rupee note....$20 bill is a $20 note ..u can get change anywhere u get foreign exchange like in banks ..foreign exchange agents etc....