+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to calculate 730 days for PR renewal?

harvinder25

Star Member
Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Friends,
I am trying to find the right way to calculate 730 days out of 5 years so that i can make sure i satisfy the PR requirements.

Here are some details.

Landing Date: Feb 2014 (did landing paperwork and then moved back to US)
Moved to Canada: April 2014 and applied for PR Cards. Stayed for 1 year and then moved back to USA

On PR card it says expiry date is : April 2019

PR start date and end date has 2 months difference and wanted to know and understand the correct way to calculate 730 days. How should i calculate the correct date i should move back to Canada?

Option 1. based on PR start date? Last date to move = PR Start Date + 5 years - 1 year

Option2: based on PR end date? PR End Date - 1 Year

Please help.

Thanks.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Your residency obligation starts the day you landed in Feb 2014 so you must accumulate 730 days between then and Feb 2019. Pr card start/expiry dates are not relevant.

As you already have 1 year then you need to return by jan 2018 and not leave until Jan/feb 2019

Last edited:

harvinder25

Star Member
Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Remember that after the first 5 years it becomes a rolling 5 years, meaning at any point you must have 2 years in Canada in the previous 5 years.
Thanks. One more question: If i am in Canada for part of the day and then travel to US and come back the next day, My assumption is that both days are counted towards PR days and its assumed i was in Canada for 2 days....no matter how many hours i was in canada.

harvinder25

Star Member
Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your residency obligation starts the day you landed in Feb 2014 so you must accumulate 730 days between then and Feb 2019. Pr card start/expiry dates are not relevant.

As you already have 1 year then you need to return by jan 2018 and not leave until Jan/feb 2019
Thanks! I couldnot confirm this on CIC website, Is there a web link i can refer?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
My assumption is that both days are counted towards PR days and its assumed i was in Canada for 2 days....no matter how many hours i was in canada.
Your assumption is correct. Any partial day is considered time spent in Canada and counts as a whole day, even down to minutes and seconds.

mccsthisfall

Sep 8, 2010
Your residency obligation starts the day you landed in Feb 2014 so you must accumulate 730 days between then and Feb 2019. Pr card start/expiry dates are not relevant
Doesn't one become PR the day, Canada government approves there application and ask them to come and land in Canada (Maybe give them CoPR) .
Apologies if I have made some mistake in terms above, still learning about the process. Thanks in advance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Doesn't one become PR the day, Canada government approves there application and ask them to come and land in Canada (Maybe give them CoPR) .
Apologies if I have made some mistake in terms above, still learning about the process. Thanks in advance.
No you do not become a PR until you arrive in Canada and present your COPR to the CBSA officer at immigration to be processed. Any initial residency obligation starts from that point.

sreekg2003

May 10, 2018
Category........
CEC
hi while applying for PR renewal what date is considered as physicaly present?
is the date we sign on application form, or the date we pay fees,or the date mail it?

sreekg2003

May 10, 2018
Category........
CEC
No I mean which day is considered last, is it we sign on application, is day we pay fees, is it the day we mail application? Pls confirm.