+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to bring Mother to Canada?

fayazarif

Jun 28, 2021
Hello everyone,

I'm an Indian, currently living in Chennai, India and I am planning to move to Moncton, Canada as I've got a job opportunity. I need to take my mother to Canada as well (I understand that I cannot take her along with me when I leave). She is a single parent and we've got no family here in India so is there an option for me to somehow bring her to Canada and stay with me? I searched the web and found this visa called Super Visa which is nothing but a visit visa wherein I can apply only if I have the PR and that too she can stay with me only for a period of 6 months. But I need to know if there is an alternate option to bring her there on a permanent basis (as long as I stay in Canada).

She cannot be travelling to and fro to India and Canada every 6 months or stay in India as she is the one family I got and I'm the only family she's got. So can someone help with this situation?
TIA.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Visits can he extended but there is no immediate solution for permanent residency unless she can qualify on her own. Therefore it's trv (regular visitor visa) or super visa for now.

Parents and grandparents program would take several years and possibly longer.

fayazarif

Jun 28, 2021
How long can the visit visa be extended? is there a limit for the extension? the validity of the super visa is 10 years, can I keep extending the visa for 10 years without having to leave Canada?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
How long can the visit visa be extended? is there a limit for the extension? the validity of the super visa is 10 years, can I keep extending the visa for 10 years without having to leave Canada?
My understanding is no. I do not know the limits. Note that in all cases health insurance etc would he required. It is not a substitute for being permanent resident.

The first task though is qualifying for a visa at all.

There are separate forums here for visitors.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

I'm an Indian, currently living in Chennai, India and I am planning to move to Moncton, Canada as I've got a job opportunity. I need to take my mother to Canada as well (I understand that I cannot take her along with me when I leave). She is a single parent and we've got no family here in India so is there an option for me to somehow bring her to Canada and stay with me? I searched the web and found this visa called Super Visa which is nothing but a visit visa wherein I can apply only if I have the PR and that too she can stay with me only for a period of 6 months. But I need to know if there is an alternate option to bring her there on a permanent basis (as long as I stay in Canada).

She cannot be travelling to and fro to India and Canada every 6 months or stay in India as she is the one family I got and I'm the only family she's got. So can someone help with this situation?
TIA.
So you have PR? For a supervisa, you need to be in Canada and meet LICO for the total number of family members to be eligible. A supervisa is a visitor visa. It doesn’t mean she stays for 10 years. When she enters CBSA can decide how long she stays.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

TIA.
The short answer is that you can't. There's no way to do this since Canadian immigration does not classify parents as dependents. Ultimately you're going to have to decide if you can still take the job in Canada knowing that your mother will not be able to live with you here and will have to spend periods of time back in India alone.

Right now she only qualifies for a TRV. Have you applied yet? Has it been approved? You're right, she does not qualify for a super visa. She won't be able to stay in Canada indefinitely on a TRV and sooner or later she will need to return home and remain home for a period of time (6+ months depending on how long she has been in Canada as a visitor).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Technically there is no limit to apply for extension. But in reality, IRCC does not allow visitors to say indefinitely and sooner or later extensions are refused and visitors are told they must leave Canada. You should assume it will not be possible to keep applying for extensions on a super visa to allow someone to stay 10 years without leaving. Again, sooner or later you should expect an extension to be refused and the visitor told they must leave Also keep in mind that there is no guarantee a TRV or super visa will even be approved.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She cannot be travelling to and fro to India and Canada every 6 months or stay in India as she is the one family I got and I'm the only family she's got.
=============================
Are you married? If you are then this is not an option for you , or if you have other close relatives in Canada who are citizens or PR.

BUT if you are single and she is single in India without other children then you may sponsor her not as your parent but by "Sponsor other relatives" program when you get at least PR status in Canada.

You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age, if you meet all of these conditions:

• you (the person who wants to sponsor your relative) don'thave a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:
    • spouse
    • common-law partner
    • conjugal partner
    • son or daughter
    • parent
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/other-relatives/who-you-can-sponsor.html

It is like you sponsor your spouse or a child (IF you do not have them in Canada or India). It is not like a lottery for sponsoring parents.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She cannot be travelling to and fro to India and Canada every 6 months or stay in India as she is the one family I got and I'm the only family she's got.
Are you married? If you are then this is not an option for you , or if you have other close relatives in Canada who are citizens or PR.

BUT if you are single and she is single in India without other children then you may sponsor her not as your parent but by "Sponsor other relatives" program when you get at least PR status in Canada.

You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age, if you meet all of these conditions:

• you (the person who wants to sponsor your relative) don'thave a living relative you could sponsor instead, such as a:
    • spouse
    • common-law partner
    • conjugal partner
    • son or daughter
    • parent
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/other-relatives/who-you-can-sponsor.html

It is like you sponsor your spouse or a child (IF you do not have them in Canada or India). It is not like a lottery for sponsoring parents.
I think you got confused. OP's mother is still living and OP could sponsor her mother through PGP lottery so this is not an option for sponsoring through "Sponsor other relatives". From the link, you can see who are eligble to be sponsored.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

• spouse
    • common-law partner
    • conjugal partner
    • son or daughter
    • parent

I don't believe OP is a PR. OP is coming as a temporary foreign workers. So no options to sponsor his mother. TRV is the only option right now.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

• spouse
    • common-law partner
    • conjugal partner
    • son or daughter
    • parent

This is the lonely Canadian program and the OP can't sponsor his own mother through this program. Once he is PR and has 3 years meeting LICO and is selected in the lottery, then he can sponsor her.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello everyone,

TIA.
If your mother has weak tie to India (no income, no other family there, no current job), the chance of getting TRV is low.
TRV is for true visitor who will return to home country once the visit is up.
1) TRV will allow UP TO 6 months of stay but CBSA can put a shorter stay period when visitor enters into Canada.
2) The extension may not be approved
3) She will need health travel insurnace and those usually only pay for emergency visits. So if she gets to travel, put money aside for any other medical needs. Canadian government do not cover other medical cost of visitors.
If you are not a PR yet, super visa is not an option to her. Super visa can be up to 10 years but each visit is only up to 2 years and again, it's up to entry to the country by CBSA for how long her stay would be.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

TIA.
Unless you are prepared to be separated from your mother for long periods of time coming to Canada may not be a good option.