+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how to become a PR

loh04

Feb 20, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have a friend from Korea who wants to move to Canada and settle in either Vancouver or Toronto.
He has a 4-yr degree in Commerce and Finance from a reputable university in Korea and has scored 8.0 on IELTS. He wants to know the best route to becoming a permanent resident in either Ontario or BC. He thought about pursuing a Master's degree in commerce&finance but realized that his major doesn't fall under one of the eligible program studies so he is thinking about going to a college for Computer and Information Sciences. Will he be able to apply for PR if he goes with this route ( 2 yr college diploma in Computer science and 1+ year of related job experience). What is the likelihood of getting an invitation with this option?

Also, since I'm completely oblivious to this process, I have no idea how the point system works. I see that there are points for five eligibility factors -- English proficiency, education, work experience, age, and others ,but what is the exact process of the assessment? how many points would he get if he is in the mid-late 20s, has a university degree in commerce&finance, has more than enough funds to support himself financially, and has lived in Korea and Russia for more than 10 years (perhaps score some points in the adaptability factor)? I'd like to get some insights into the assessment process so I can help him score the highest point he can get in his given circumstances.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's really no alternative to researching through the details of the immigration programs to understand what it takes to apply. Details below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

Likelihood of being selected depends largely on how many points he has. Express Entry points system calculator here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

No adaptability points for working / living in Russia. Adaptability points are only granted for working / living in Canada.

If he's really not willing to do the research but still wants to immigrate to Canada - I strongly recommend he hire an immigration lawyer to assist him.

Reactions: iamhammad

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Will he be able to apply for PR if he goes with this route ( 2 yr college diploma in Computer science and 1+ year of related job experience). What is the likelihood of getting an invitation with this option?
scylla hinted at the avenue of immigrating as a skilled worker through Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker, with your friend's current credentials (no Canadian education or work experience).
What you mentioned here is possibly immigrating through Express Entry/Canadian Experience Class (at least one year of full-time work in Canada).
Your friend can play around with the CRS tool link to get an idea of the scores, and look up at past draw scores. Again, it's really all about research. All the information is available on the IRCC website and on this forum.
Studying in Canada may also open up immigrating through the Provincial Nominee Program in the school's respective province.

Those are the basic routes of economic immigration to Canada.