+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to ask to correct a name after receiving citizinship certification?

Eitan-ro

Star Member
Oct 9, 2018
We have received our citizenship certifications, but IRCC made a mistake and wrote my Wife's youth last name instead of the current one.
  • In the application forms we wrote the correct last name.
  • We noticed now that in the oath forms that she signed it has the wrong last name as well but we missed it.
  • In her Israeli passport, it still has her youth last name, but it also has a certificate that her last name was changed (and we sent it together with the application as well)
  • In her COPR the correct last name is written
She want to make sure that the correct last name will be stated in her Canadian passport to avoid any potential issues and questions in the future, Does anyone has an idea how can this be fixed?

I've sent an email to IRCC, but I don't expect them to answer me soon and also don't expect to get a clear answer....

Thanks for the Help

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We have received our citizenship certifications, but IRCC made a mistake and wrote my Wife's youth last name instead of the current one.
  • In the application forms we wrote the correct last name.
  • We noticed now that in the oath forms that she signed it has the wrong last name as well but we missed it.
  • In her Israeli passport, it still has her youth last name, but it also has a certificate that her last name was changed (and we sent it together with the application as well)
  • In her COPR the correct last name is written
She want to make sure that the correct last name will be stated in her Canadian passport to avoid any potential issues and questions in the future, Does anyone has an idea how can this be fixed?

I've sent an email to IRCC, but I don't expect them to answer me soon and also don't expect to get a clear answer....

Thanks for the Help
Here's the link to how to make the correction:
https://www.cic.gc.ca/English/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=598&top=5

Note, if the 90 days has passed, I take it they won't change. (And I've no idea whether they'll agree it was their fault but from the sounds of it they should).

In the meantime: if your priority is the passport, you should be able to apply for the passport with the evidence of the name change (and COPR and the certificate of name change should be enough). In other words, the certificate of citizenship is NOT the final word on what name the passport is issued in.

Out of curiosity as you don't mention, what name did the PR card use?

Reactions: QueenPeaches